• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Telltale: love ‘em or hate ‘em?

Total Posts: 358

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Lambonius - 18 April 2013 11:48 PM

Don’t get me wrong—Telltale is very good at what they do.  The problem is that what they do isn’t very good.

I love that. Gotta remember that one.

Total Posts: 76

Joined 2008-01-31

PM

I really like ‘The Walking Dead’, but I don’t like their other games or Telltale overall. I really hate their art style and graphics (except TWD), and most of their games lack soul.

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Their shortcoming is not working on original IP.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Lambonius - 18 April 2013 11:48 PM

As it was, that illusion is completely broken on the second playthrough, when you realize that almost everything stays exactly the same all the way through, barring a few minor character differences, which ultimately only boil down to a few different dialogues and slight differences to the way certain scenes unfold (without really affecting their conclusion.)

Not that many people replay games, so if the illusion of choice is kept up during your first playthrough, then your choices DID matter.
If the illusion only breaks on a second playthrough, then I don’t see a problem with their approach.

Having multiple branching endings is a sure-fire way to go over-time and over-budget. So it boils down to a business decision again, but it’s one I totally get…

nomadsoul - 19 April 2013 06:35 AM

Their shortcoming is not working on original IP.

I don’t really understand this. Why does it always have to be an original IP? What’s wrong with taking an established IP and making something new out of it on a medium where said IP hasn’t yet seen a release?

Or do you feel that the focus on Sherlock Holmes is a shortcoming for Frogwares too?

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Most games don’t even have an illusion of a choice. Most of the time there’s only one way to solve a puzzle and the story goes the same everytime. Off the hand I can only come up with only one adventure game that had several different endings depending on your choices and that is Blade Runner.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Gog.com saw this thread and decided to give people that never played them the chance join the battle Smile Excellent promo on the Telltale games

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

I don’t really understand this. Why does it always have to be an original IP? What’s wrong with taking an established IP and making something new out of it on a medium where said IP hasn’t yet seen a release?

Or do you feel that the focus on Sherlock Holmes is a shortcoming for Frogwares too?

More of a relying on existing brand and installed base to lure in fans and alike.
Aliens CM and TWD SurvivalInstinct being really bad sold decently. Hard to
quantify brand attraction and faith versus actual game in general terms.

Now if they have got experience and writers , come with own stories and fresh concepts.

And yes, Frogwares dependancy on one IP is concerning. How many more???
Its becoming factory product now.

tomimt - 19 April 2013 06:51 AM

Most games don’t even have an illusion of a choice. Most of the time there’s only one way to solve a puzzle and the story goes the same everytime. Off the hand I can only come up with only one adventure game that had several different endings depending on your choices and that is Blade Runner.

HeavyRain had so many endings and i experimented alot to get them and main characters dying and living is more gamechanger than anything else. Heck it even challenges the
question of who the main character is??

Total Posts: 2994

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

The Pandora Directive

Total Posts: 1235

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

TimovieMan - 19 April 2013 06:46 AM

Having multiple branching endings is a sure-fire way to go over-time and over-budget.

I SPECIFICALLY SAID I wasn’t talking about multiple endings.  I specifically said, a FEW branching elements to the story, along the lines of Fate of Atlantis, that end up in the same place.  They could even reuse almost all of the same resources, as they’re so fond of doing.

You Telltale apologists crack me up.

Also, I would argue that choice is a monumentally important in story-based games nowadays.  Story based games are often explicitly judged on the grounds of how successful they were at providing choices.  Games like KOTOR, Mass Effect, and eventually Heavy Rain really changed the standard for story based gameplay.  Telltale failed to meet that standard with Walking Dead.

And regarding most people not playing games twice—you should go work for EA.  They’ve got a great business model that fits exactly with your thinking—games as a service!

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

You know Lambonius, it’s not an personal offense against you if people happen to like Telltale games. Don’t take it so seriously.

Most games are disposable. I have no interest of playing most games again, because frankly most games have a story quality of an average episode of Bold & the Beautiful. Just like with any entertainment idustry most products are shallow and flat as far stories go. Personally I feel Telltale is at times a bit above the norm as far story writing goes, despite there’s flaws in their game design, be it a bit clunky UI or a bit too simplistic puzzles. They still do churn out entertaining games, which also work as a narrative experience, at least for me. And that’s more I can say most Deadlic games for an example.

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

tomimt - 19 April 2013 09:11 AM

You know Lambonius, it’s not an personal offense against you if people happen to like Telltale games. Don’t take it so seriously.

You misunderstand my tone, I think.  Smile

I don’t take offense to people not sharing my opinion.  I may not agree with it; I may even find others’ opinions silly, but they don’t offend me.

I do take a small amount of offense to people putting words in my mouth, though.  Wink

And regarding my EA comment—just trying to put things in perspective.

Total Posts: 619

Joined 2012-06-06

PM

It makes me sad to think that people view games as disposable.  Most of my favorite games of all time, I can return to, play again and enjoy them.

Bt

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

Blackthorne - 19 April 2013 10:20 AM

It makes me sad to think that people view games as disposable.  Most of my favorite games of all time, I can return to, play again and enjoy them.

Bt

Agreed, and I think it’s absolutely no coincidence that the same people who talk about playing a game once and never going back to it are often the biggest Telltale fans.  It speaks to a general mindset of the casual gamer, which seems to be Telltale’s target audience.

Total Posts: 71

Joined 2003-09-16

PM

Lambonius - 19 April 2013 08:54 AM

You Telltale apologists crack me up.

Some of those silly Telltale apologists could be the players of your game (unless you completely alienate them now), and some of those mediocre Telltale developers you might meet at some point in your further development career. I’m just saying.

Total Posts: 1341

Joined 2012-02-17

PM

And ALL of these “rubes” and “apologists” are already your fellow AG forumites who deserve better than to be rudely insulted for having different subjective tastes than yours. There’s a lot of leeway for heated discussion around here, but there are some basic rules of mutual respect to be followed.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top