• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

zobraks

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Telltale: love ‘em or hate ‘em?

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Oscar - 24 May 2013 03:32 AM

And on the other side not all people enjoy an “interactive experience” without the intellect being engaged in problem-solving.

I don’t look at QTE games as adventure games, or an evolution of them. I look at it this way: All games have story + challenge. The type of challenge is what separates genres. Organising and planning is the challenge of a strategy game. Dodging bullets and shooting things is called a shooter. The challenge in an adventure game is the intellectual puzzle.

The QTE is closest to action. We should note however that a game is something that can be won or lost. If there is nothing to be overcome, no obstacle or death, no winning or losing, and if the interactive experience is really about choice and reacting to emotion, then it becomes something else, not a game.

I don’t think Telltale is anywhere near this yet. At the moment it’s something between an adventure game and an action game. And I can’t see an evolution happening, because unless the goal is removed the challenge has to remain, whatever that may be. What you might get is The Path, Dear Esther or Bientôt l’été, but I have not heard anyone say those are “evolved” adventure games.

I totally agree!

Though i suspect that the goal of Telltale is not to remove all challenge, but to change the challenge into something else. Exactly what that something else is, is however anybody’s guess, and i don’t believe that Telltale believe they found the perfect formula with TWD. What TWAU will turn out to be, and where Telltale will go in the future is something i am very curious about.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 87

Joined 2013-06-26

PM

All Episodic Tell tale games are the same to me.

They start good, I like them, the last episode sucks to me, and in the end I have a bad taste in my mouth for playing them.

Total Posts: 43

Joined 2009-12-24

PM

I always thought telltale were a bit bland, and kind of just ignored them.

But when TWD came along i paid attention and played. enjoyed it for a few hours too until I realized what the filthy game was playing at.

Mentioned it before:

But offering the player a choice of two carrots, then smacking them in the face no matter which one they choose, is not good design or good storytelling. its manipulative and cheap. and the game does this, no matter what on 98% of the choices in the game. its HORRIBLE.

I have reloaded saves to TRY and prove my findings wrong, but each time I try a different choice, the game treats you in the same horrible way to get you to feel bad. Sure i get its a zombie apocalypse and bad things happen no matter what, but back to the carrot analogy. Don’t pretend a choice matters, when in fact it doesn’t and expect to keep me on your side.

Player choice is about offering control, but the design behind the writing is so vindictive it always chastises you for whatever choice you have made. so it got to the point where i not only resented every choice given to me. i didn;t even want to make it. because i knew the game would go down it’s path no matter what i did.

Without me caring about the choices, it wasn’t a game, it was just a melodramatic soapy b-movie about zombies.

Could not have been more disappointed, and will never go near a telltale game ever again.

ALL MY OPINION OF COURSE.

Total Posts: 188

Joined 2004-03-18

PM

My save on PS3 got messed up somehow and I can’t start Episode 3 with my previous decisions in-tact. If I can’t fix it, I don’t know if I should just move forward with randomly made decisions or if I should start all over.

Total Posts: 278

Joined 2008-07-11

PM

Idrisguitar - 01 July 2013 09:37 AM

I have reloaded saves to TRY and prove my findings wrong, but each time I try a different choice, the game treats you in the same horrible way to get you to feel bad. Sure i get its a zombie apocalypse and bad things happen no matter what, but back to the carrot analogy. Don’t pretend a choice matters, when in fact it doesn’t and expect to keep me on your side.

If you can’t handle harsh outcomes and you want a game that’s going to reward you for making a “good” choice, then I suggest staying away from games set during a zombie apocalypse where everyone is struggling to survive. The entire point of The Walking Dead is that there are no good choices; everything is shitty because that’s the reality of fighting for survival. Your choices may not completely shape the narrative, but they alter scenes in interesting ways and give you further insight into the world and characters. That’s more than good enough for me.

It’s fair enough if you don’t want that from a game, but stop pushing your “emotional manipulation” crap onto others. Telltale have done nothing morally wrong. They are not being “vindictive” in any way. It’s only a video game—one that you clearly shouldn’t be playing.

Total Posts: 43

Joined 2009-12-24

PM

orient - 02 July 2013 12:57 AM
Idrisguitar - 01 July 2013 09:37 AM

If you can’t handle harsh outcomes and you want a game that’s going to reward you for making a “good” choice, then I suggest staying away from games set during a zombie apocalypse where everyone is struggling to survive. The entire point of The Walking Dead is that there are no good choices; everything is shitty because that’s the reality of fighting for survival. Your choices may not completely shape the narrative, but they alter scenes in interesting ways and give you further insight into the world and characters. That’s more than good enough for me.

It’s fair enough if you don’t want that from a game, but stop pushing your “emotional manipulation” crap onto others. Telltale have done nothing morally wrong. They are not being “vindictive” in any way. It’s only a video game—one that you clearly shouldn’t be playing.

See I knew that would be the common response. Please read my post properly. I do mention that I know things are going to go badly in a zombie apocalypse. I could never be that naive. Also its MY OPINION. I will bold it every time I write it from now on,  because you seem to not understand what this means.

Anyway what I (personally) cant stand is that you are not actually in control when the game pretends you are.

Control. Thats what i meant by player reward, giving you some actual control, where an outcome isn’t always black and white, where there are 3-4 options you directly affect, instead of just 1-2 you choose in a binary way because of one statement you might not have chosen on purpose.

I was under no delusion that I could heal all zombies and the world could go back to the way it was. I just wanted more than a binary affect on a superficial choice. Also I would have been less repelled if the game didn’t make you feel as if every choice was important as hell, when in fact it was only window dressing on the main plot behind the glass, that was on rails 100%. That’s where I felt the game kind of deceives you. (in my opinion)

So please, dont come back at me implying I dont like sad things. I would say i prefer grim stories over any others. Fiction wise, i pretty much only read depressing stuff, and Grave of the Fireflies is my favourite movie of all time. I just hated the way they designed the choice mechanics. Simple as that.

I am clearly stating its my opinion, and I am allowed to state it as often and passionately as I like. I am not pushing any crap onto anyone. This really made me angry.

You realise this is a forum. Where people discuss their opinions about a genre they are passionate about. I will continue doing so because it is my right. If you really cant handle that then you shouldn’t be posting here. I have explained and backed up my opinion more than enough for most rational human beings to at least understand where I’m personally coming from.

Total Posts: 990

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

orient - 02 July 2013 12:57 AM

The entire point of The Walking Dead is that there are no good choices; everything is shitty because that’s the reality of fighting for survival. Your choices may not completely shape the narrative, but they alter scenes in interesting ways and give you further insight into the world and characters. That’s more than good enough for me.

The beauty of that premise is that it turns so easily into a convenient cop out.

They make that point about choice in episode 1 and then just keep going back to it over and over again as each choice becomes increasingly meaningless; reaching their zenith of pointlessness at the end of episode 4 where you might as well just stop playing the game since the way Telltale forces you down a rigid pathway is hackney and cheap. 

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

thejobloshow - 02 July 2013 01:14 PM

They make that point about choice in episode 1 and then just keep going back to it over and over again as each choice becomes increasingly meaningless; reaching their zenith of pointlessness at the end of episode 4 where you might as well just stop playing the game since the way Telltale forces you down a rigid pathway is hackney and cheap. 

Episode 5 is lot different depending of you choices you made and the companions you have. Just because the end-point is always the same, the choices you made impact the road to get there…

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top