• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Nico2021

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Double Fine Adventure is… Broken Age

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

I have to say I loved it. There really isn’t anything to critique. The characters, the story, the gameplay, art and music, everything excellent. The two stories linked together nicely and aroused some very good questions (the speculation in the story thread is enjoyable) and it’s always a pleasure to play multiple protagonists. I also think the balance of humour and the greater scheme is working very well. I am very invested in the story while I also chuckle a lot. Well done.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

MoP - 19 February 2014 04:51 PM

Yeah, I guess it was a (successful, since the game jumped back into the Top10 bestseller list) stint to reinvigorate sales; I think You get a coupon for every Double Fine game in Your library.

wow. im surprised that worked. Also happy that it seems to be working…. i cant wait for act 2.

Total Posts: 298

Joined 2004-08-15

PM

I guess you only get 3 codes max, since I have far more Double Fine games in my Steam library.

Total Posts: 127

Joined 2004-08-03

PM

The screenshots never captivated me. Being a bored adventure gamer I want to play the game just to be on top of the genre but having dug into the plot and characters I have zero interest. Somebody talk me into it.

YouTube: Weird Gaming Adventure
IG: weird_gaming_adventure

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

ozzie - 19 February 2014 11:34 PM

I guess you only get 3 codes max, since I have far more Double Fine games in my Steam library.

I got 6 codes, so it’s possible to get more. (Although I have no idea what to do with them Smile )

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

I got two codes as well. From the comments it seems like the amount of codes given has been a bit random in some cases.

But it does seem to have had a good effect on sales.

Joined 2004-08-15

PM

Yeah, I don’t know what to do with two of the codes either! If anyone wants them, please send me your Steam name per PM! They’re valid until March the 15th.

Total Posts: 270

Joined 2003-09-11

PM

I own all DF steam games, but only got 1 discount code… Anyway, I don’t need it Wink
Happy to hear BA was back in the top 10 though!

Max: Right! We’ll travel through this dimensional portal on the top of the bar!
Sam: That’s spilled beer, rockhead.
Max: Oh in that case ...

Total Posts: 974

Joined 2007-02-23

PM

Just finished the game recently. I haven’t read up on what other people think just yet, but I’m a bit torn on the entire experience.

On the one hand I really enjoyed the art and animation. Top notch - you really see where the money went. I also found the overall story interesting and character interactions entertaining. On the other hand the entire experience was /very/ brief (even for just being the first part of the game) and I even did my best to click on everything and try and get as much entertainment out of every scene as possible. The problem was there really wasn’t much to interact with and you quickly ran out of things to talk to other characters about.

I can imagine some people being bothered by the puzzles being very easy, but to be honest that wasn’t a big negative for me. Sure, I like a good challenge, but I can also appreciate just being taken through the story without too many stumbling blocks.

In the end I liked the game, but would have wished the world felt more “alive” or something like that. I’m really looking forward to episode two and hope that’s the one thing Tim and co. may focus more on. They made all these amazing scenes but didn’t fill them with very many points of interaction for the most part.

Total Posts: 90

Joined 2008-09-01

PM

Total Posts: 270

Joined 2003-09-11

PM

xxax - 22 February 2014 08:18 AM

http://www.shacknews.com/article/83225/broken-age-sales-secure-funding-for-act-2-development

Looks like it sold enough to fully fund Act 2.

Great news!
The original source:
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2014-02-21-tim-schafer-how-to-stay-afloat-in-a-pool-of-internet-twitter-hate

Max: Right! We’ll travel through this dimensional portal on the top of the bar!
Sam: That’s spilled beer, rockhead.
Max: Oh in that case ...

Total Posts: 523

Joined 2010-02-08

PM

The Double Fine Adventure documentary series about the making of Broken Age can now be purchased separately or in a variety of game bundles here. Good news for anyone who missed backing or who wants to upgrade to a digital download of the documentary.

Check out the first episode of the documentary streaming for free here.

I cannot recommend this documentary highly enough to anyone with interest in seeing how games are made and the ups and downs of running a game studio.

If you like the DF Adventure doc, the Double Fine Amnesia Fortnight documentary series available free on YouTube here (2012) and here (2014) are also terrific.

Total Posts: 131

Joined 2014-04-11

PM

jaap - 22 February 2014 09:00 AM

The original source:
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2014-02-21-tim-schafer-how-to-stay-afloat-in-a-pool-of-internet-twitter-hate

Excerpt from the article:

...And it was like being dumped from that into this cold pool of Internet Twitter hate. And that was crazy. It was like, ‘Oh yeah, right! There’s a bunch of people who hate the idea of what we’re doing and are waiting to pounce on us if we make a single mistake.’”

To deal with the hate, Schafer considered what some of his celebrity voice acting talent (Jack Black and Elijah Wood among them) has gone through. The bigger you get, Schafer said, the more support you receive from fans. But at the same time, that scope also increases the negativity you get from the other end of the spectrum.

Pathetic to see Schafer dismiss all the criticism directed at him as “hate.”

Calling someone a “hater” has become quite trendy, particularly among celebrities, and is a way to avoid addressing or even acknowledging the validity of the criticism.

Total Posts: 2071

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

I think Schafer was referring to those who started calling him “a cheater” and “a liar” after DF announced they had to split Broken Age into halves in order to raise more money. Not sure about Twitter, but I’ve seen quite a number of them on the mainstream video game websites.

PC means personal computer

Joined 2004-08-15

PM

Mr. Schafer refers to Twitter exchanges like this:

I used this image for the third time now. It definitely paid off to make a screengrab of this!

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top