• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

The 7th Guest Sequel on Kickstarter

Total Posts: 643

Joined 2006-09-24

PM

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-03-07-the-7th-guest-3-is-currently-in-development-for-pc-mac-ios-and-android

The third game will return to Stauf Mansion and feature similar gameplay as the predecessors, it seems.

Some of the original Trilobyte developers from the first two games are on board.

Estimated time to completion is 12-18 months.

Kickstarter might be an option in the next month or two if Trilobyte can’t secure enough funding from partners.

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Never played 7th Guest nor 11th Hour (only Clandestiny), but this calls for a celebration. Sarcastic

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 40

Joined 2009-04-25

PM

In all honesty I have never finished The 7th Guest because I can’t get past the mini-game with the blobs in the microscope. Neutral

That said, it’s always fun to see new life breathed into a classic adventure series, so I’m excited that this is happening. Smile

Total Posts: 299

Joined 2006-12-04

PM

Fantastic

Bring it on! Thanks for the heads up inm8#2

Don’t Hate Me Because I Am Beautiful…There Are Many Other Reasons

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

Hmm. With dozens of casual/HOG games based on the 7th Guest formula (haunted house + standalone logic puzzles + silly story + cheesy acting), I wonder if this is really necessary. Meh

Total Posts: 990

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

Translation: Former Trilobyte developers are DEFINITELY going to hit up Kickstarter to fund their formerly cancelled Collector game.

Sign me up!

Total Posts: 299

Joined 2006-12-04

PM

Thanks thejobloshow

I never have seen that original trailer. That was done very well for its time. Do you think that it will be what the new part 3 will be based on but with todays technology?

Don’t Hate Me Because I Am Beautiful…There Are Many Other Reasons

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

Kurufinwe - 06 March 2013 09:15 PM

Hmm. With dozens of casual/HOG games based on the 7th Guest formula (haunted house + standalone logic puzzles + silly story + cheesy acting), I wonder if this is really necessary. Meh

I’ve not seen a casual/HOG game close to the quality of 7th Guest. And while the puzzles may have been standalone, the fact you were battling Stauf throughout all of them and they were of his creation made them more, shall we say… substantial. Unlike those in, say, Testament of Sherlock Holmes.

Total Posts: 880

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

Also its in real-time 3d. No exactly comparable to Casual/HOG games.

Stuart Bradley Newsom - Naughty Shinobi || Our Game: Shadow Over Isolation

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

I guess this means the unofficial “13th Doll” sequel is fubared then.

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 930

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

Is this the same game as The Collector?

Or are they starting from scratch?

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Annacat -

In all honesty I have never finished The 7th Guest because I can’t get past the mini-game with the blobs in the microscope. Neutral

I agree that that particular puzzle was vicious. Their AI was really top-notch.

I never finished 11th Hour myself. I can’t recall if I got stuck on a puzzle, or was simply bored with it (it lacked the charm of The 7th Guest), though… Confused

But I’d be interested in finally seeing Collector made…

Lucien21 -

I guess this means the unofficial “13th Doll” sequel is fubared then.

Not necessarily, imo. It all depends on the direction Collector is going to take, and of course, both release dates…

crabapple - 07 March 2013 08:16 AM

Is this the same game as The Collector?

I reckon so, but of course, I’m not entirely sure. Would seem the most logical, though, so I assume it is.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 1341

Joined 2012-02-17

PM

Why do people always go elsewhere to learn things AG has already revealed months earlier? Tongue (Not picking on you, inm8#2—happens all the time.)

Note that Landeros refers to 7G3 as a prequel, by the way.

Anyway, not to throw cold water on anyone’s enthusiasm, but this isn’t really a confirmation of anything. They’re admitting they don’t have the money to make it, so until they find an investor or successfully crowd-fund it, it’s really just a hope.

The interesting thing will be how much they ask for on Kickstarter (which I expect is inevitable—who’s funding adventure games anymore?). From that same Landeros interview, he says this:

I just had a conversation with someone who wanted to work on 7th Guest 3, and I jokingly said, “If you have a million dollars, let’s do it.” Well, he took me seriously and said, “You don’t need a million dollars, it could be done much cheaper than that!” He kept arguing along those lines and I started getting irritated with the guy. I said, “You’re not hearing me. I don’t WANT to do it cheaply. I’m not going to do this if I can’t do it right. And that means a large budget. A million may or may not do. It’s a good place to start.”

Total Posts: 71

Joined 2003-09-16

PM

Jackal - 07 March 2013 01:03 PM

who’s funding adventure games anymore?

That’s an interesting question. There are companies still doing it (—Nordic, Anuman, Focus, Daedalic/EuroVideo etc.—), but I agree that Kickstarter is effectively, and quickly, becoming a major publisher for this type of games.

On-topic: A million dollars would be a tough goal for any adventure game on kickstarter, and I doubt they’ll set that as their funding goal.

Total Posts: 643

Joined 2006-09-24

PM

Jackal - 07 March 2013 01:03 PM

Why do people always go elsewhere to learn things AG has already revealed months earlier? Tongue (Not picking on you, inm8#2—happens all the time.)

Ah, I thought I remembered reading about this on AG. For some reason I didn’t make the connection that Rob mentioned this to you guys last fall.

FORGIVE ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Total Posts: 30

Joined 2013-03-05

PM

I’d be interested to see what they do with it. I can see them getting a lot of money from nostalgic gamers, but I’m not sure how I’d go about updating the format. I’m not sure the puzzlebox formula has aged well.

7th Guest and 11th Hour were before my time, but I enjoyed Clandestiny when I was young, and I think the animated sequences still look lovely today.

So I snapped up 7th Guest and 11th Hour when they came out on gog.com, but I didn’t get on with them at all. 7th Guest crashed during a puzzle, and I’ve never felt inclined to revisit it or try the sequel.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top