• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Recent (or not) good 2d Point and click games I might have missed?

Total Posts: 860

Joined 2017-12-19

PM

cyberseer - 25 January 2023 12:50 PM
walas74 - 24 January 2023 10:05 PM

And as a good Spaniard, I will recommend Pendulo Studios games, such us Runaway Trilogy, The Next Big Thing, Yesterday and Yesterday: Origins.

These Spanish games look great. I never heard of them. Thanks!

In case you want to play their first game, Hollywood Monsters, there is a fan translation patch which adds English subtitles.

https://shinji-nerd-life.blogspot.com/2012/03/hollywood-monsters-in-english.html

https://shinji-nerd-life.blogspot.com/2012/03/hollywood-monsters-in-english-part-2.html

And if you want to find more Spanish games, at least The Great Fusion comes to mind.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/341690/The_Great_Fusion/
It’s kind of nice, but not really great.

And still more from Spain, James Peris series. If you like Leisure Suit Larry, you may like it too. Nice games, but again not really great.
The original game James Peris es el agente 00,5 is a free AGS game:
https://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/site/games/game/552-james-peris-es-el-agente-00-5/

The series has two commercial games too, James Peris: Sin licencia ni control which a remake of the original:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1243010/James_Peris_Sin_licencia_ni_control__Edicin_definitiva/
And the very recent James Peris 2: La fuente de la eterna embriaguez Uncut and Uncensored which was released only two months ago:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1642970/James_Peris_2_La_fuente_de_la_eterna_embriaguez_Uncut_and_Uncensored/

Not counting Hollywood Monsters all these games have very rough humour which some may find unfunny or even offensive.
But if German games (Daedalic) aren’t your thing (I think they are great), then perhaps you appreciate the Spanish approach better.

Total Posts: 1263

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

Well, Pendulo’s first game was Igor: Objective Uikokahonia, which is in fact considered the first adventure game ever made in Spain (1994).

Hollywood Monsters was the second one. I didn’t recommend it because if you ask Siri or Alexa about “moon logic”, they would answer “Hollywood Monsters” haha

More interesting Spanish adventure games?

-The Abbey (based on Umberto Eco’s masterpiece “The Name of the Rose”)

-Dead Synchronicity: Tomorrow Comes Today (although it’s only half of the game, we are still wating for the second part…)

-Randal’s Monday (with many references to other games, movies, tv series, comics, some people think that too much references…)

-Call of the Sea: beautiful game with a Lovecraft touch.

-Mutropolis: best adventure game of 2021 for Adventure Games staff.

Currently translating Strangeland into Spanish. Wish me luck, or send me money to my Paypal haha

Total Posts: 1655

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

If you want to try something a bit different, I also recommend contradiction spot the liar. It is cheesy but great fun to me.

Total Posts: 16

Joined 2023-01-24

PM

walas74 - 24 January 2023 10:05 PM

Despite your reluctance to play Daedelic games, I would suggest you give Edna & Harvey: The Break out a try. It’s one of the best adventure games of this century.

And as a good Spaniard, I will recommend Pendulo Studios games, such us Runaway Trilogy, The Next Big Thing, Yesterday and Yesterday: Origins.

Ok, I read some reviews which echo your suggestion to try Edna & Harvey. They say it’s the best they’ve made so I got it. Thanks.

Total Posts: 2454

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

if you like the Wadjet Eye sci-fi games, play Whispers of a Machine. it’s the best of the bunch so far, with Technobabylon on a solid second place. 

edit: i just saw the game mentioned earlier in the thread! so adding to that choir, for whoever still hasn’t played the game.

if you like a thorough investigation of tragedy with beautiful semi-realistic graphics (as if shot through gauze), try The Painscreek Killings.

for a more comic/graphical novel approach to investigation, Tangle Tower is clever in it’s design and the way it captures the characters, visually, audibly and in writing. It’s predecessor, Detective Grimoire, even if it’s more of a stepping stone to the second title, is quite enjoyable as well.

if you can a stomach the bleak and 90% sepia-toned horror of Bad Dream: Coma and Bad Dream: Fever, both games are very good at delivering some psych horror in their own right, but the second one blew me away.

if you’re looking for a relatively small and very affordable game and you don’t mind the diy (& charming!) graphical style i’d really like to mention The Epsilon Outcome. just straight up classic adventure with true to the genre puzzles, easy to fit into your schedule and spending limits, a little gem.

Total Posts: 524

Joined 2022-02-22

PM

These threads always drift away from what the OP asks for (good 2D graphics, 3rd person, hard puzzles, comedic, lengthy) into “recommend whatever the hell you want as long as you like it”

Sorry, never mind me - carry on Crazy

AKA Charo

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Charophycean - 25 January 2023 05:15 PM

These threads always drift away from what the OP asks for (good 2D graphics, 3rd person, hard puzzles, comedic, lengthy) into “recommend whatever the hell you want as long as you like it”

Yes, some pretty wild recommendations. I’d like to warn the OP that Call of the Sea, Contradiction, and the Painscreek Killings don’t meet any of his or her requirements.

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

Curses. You are right about Call of the Sea, I allowed myself to be carried away by patriotism…

Currently translating Strangeland into Spanish. Wish me luck, or send me money to my Paypal haha

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

I like your “curses”.
I’m probably going to use “hogwash” a lot from now on.  Smile

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

Karlok - 25 January 2023 07:00 PM

I like your “curses”.
I’m probably going to use “hogwash” a lot from now on.  Smile

Capital! Wink

Total Posts: 21

Joined 2019-08-12

PM

Total Posts: 284

Joined 2013-02-26

PM

I hope you don’t mind me suggesting me own game, but from your description I think you would enjoy Captain Disaster in: Death Has A Million Stomping Boots.

I’m sure you would also very much enjoy these three excellent games (can’t remember if they’ve have been mentioned, and even if they have it’s worth mentioning them again):

Feria d’Arles

Lucy Dreaming

Beyond The Edge Of Owlsgard

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

Well, I haven’t played the other two games, but I definetely recommend Captain Disaster in: Death Has A Million Stomping Boots.

And Feria D’Arles, we have just translated into Spanish. It’s short, and it’s great.

I would add Toffe Trouble in Creamville, short and charming. And it’s free.

Total Posts: 2454

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

here are two more suggestions, games that might touch your heart:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1172800/Perfect_Tides/

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1201270/A_Space_for_the_Unbound/
the latter is the most 2D of all games mentioned, i guess, but it’s not cursor-driven.

Total Posts: 16

Joined 2023-01-24

PM

Charophycean - 24 January 2023 08:04 PM

I’d second all the games Karlok mentioned.

As someone who also doesn’t like Daedelic (excepting E&H) I can add:

The Hand of Glory
What Makes You Tick: A Stitch in Time

Checking back into this thread.

I tried many of the suggested games and so far the Hand of Glory is the winner. It fits all the requirements in the original post and I’m enjoying it a lot

I want to play What Makes You Tick: A Stitch in Time, but I’m not sure where to get it for Mac. Any ideas?

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top