• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Recent (or not) good 2d Point and click games I might have missed?

Total Posts: 16

Joined 2023-01-24

PM

Hi,
I’m a long time fan of the genre and it’s basically my top one I play.
I feel like I’ve played everything good, but I might have missed some and I’m always looking for more.

My old school favorites are

Monkey Island 1,2,3
Simon The Sorcerer 1,2
Legend of Kyrandia 2
Quest for Glory 3,4
Indiana Jones the Fate of Atlantis
Beaneath the Steel Sky
Broken Sword 2
Larry 6
Grim Fandango (3rd exception I know)
Full Throttle
Flight of the Amazon Queen
Goblins 1,2,3

You get the gist of it. I like 2d cartoon style with good graphics. Whimsical. Seeing the main character. Good humor. Hard puzzle and long gameplay. In recent years I’ve been very happy about the resurgence of the genre.

Some recent ones I’ve really enjoyed have been

Anything by Wadjet Eye
Virtuaverse
Irony Curtain: From Matryoshka with Love
Larry Wet Dreams games
The Procession to Cavalry
Disco Elysium (exception but so good)
Journey Down (3rd exception)
The Book of Unwritten Tales games
Gabriel Knight Sins of the Fathers Remake
Not Another Weekend

Can you guys recommend some games I may have missed?!?

Thanks, I hope you get some good suggestions from my list too

PS. I will absolutely not play anything by Daedelic. Yuck

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Just finished: Beyond the Edge of Owlsgard. Released a couple of weeks ago. In the vein of the old classics. Funny with a dark streak. Not easy. I really enjoyed it,  highly recommended. It has some flaws, but what game doesn’t. If you hate pixelhunting you can play it in Modern Mode.

One of my favorite 3rd-person adventures with dialogues and inventory-based puzzles is The Inner World. Challenging puzzles. Technobabylon is another one. Easier, good story. And then there’s Resonance, which you’ve probably played.

I see you hate Daedalic games. I love Edna & Harvey and the clever Deponia games. So I might not be the best person to advise you on what to play next.

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Total Posts: 1619

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

I second technobabylon I think it’s the right mixture of puzzles and story and the right amount of difficulty.

If you enjoy that one I then recommend Whispers of a machine. It shares a very similar DNA in story and puzzles

Total Posts: 514

Joined 2022-02-22

PM

I’d second all the games Karlok mentioned.

As someone who also doesn’t like Daedelic (excepting E&H) I can add:

The Hand of Glory
What Makes You Tick: A Stitch in Time

AKA Charo

Joined 2023-01-24

PM

Karlok - 24 January 2023 07:30 PM

Just finished: Beyond the Edge of Owlsgard. Released a couple of weeks ago. In the vein of the old classics. Funny with a dark streak. Not easy. I really enjoyed it,  highly recommended. It has some flaws, but what game doesn’t. If you hate pixelhunting you can play it in Modern Mode.

One of my favorite 3rd-person adventures with dialogues and inventory-based puzzles is The Inner World. Challenging puzzles. Technobabylon is another one. Easier, good story. And then there’s Resonance, which you’ve probably played.

I see you hate Daedalic games. I love Edna & Harvey and the clever Deponia games. So I might not be the best person to advise you on what to play next.

Loved Resonance and Technobabylon. Didn’t like the Inner World.

Edge of Owlsgard looks quite like my type. Thanks!

Joined 2023-01-24

PM

Jdawg445 - 24 January 2023 08:03 PM

I second technobabylon I think it’s the right mixture of puzzles and story and the right amount of difficulty.

If you enjoy that one I then recommend Whispers of a machine. It shares a very similar DNA in story and puzzles

I liked that game, but it was quite short

Total Posts: 1238

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

Despite your reluctance to play Daedelic games, I would suggest you give Edna & Harvey: The Break out a try. It’s one of the best adventure games of this century.

And as a good Spaniard, I will recommend Pendulo Studios games, such us Runaway Trilogy, The Next Big Thing, Yesterday and Yesterday: Origins.

Currently translating Strangeland into Spanish. Wish me luck, or send me money to my Paypal haha

Total Posts: 14

Joined 2005-08-06

PM

Paradigm !!

Such an amusing game. I was smiling and laughing throughout, much more than other games. I consider it a modern classic!

Total Posts: 1238

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

Assaf - 25 January 2023 04:43 AM

Paradigm !!

Such an amusing game. I was smiling and laughing throughout, much more than other games. I consider it a modern classic!

Totally agree!!!

Currently translating Strangeland into Spanish. Wish me luck, or send me money to my Paypal haha

Total Posts: 860

Joined 2017-12-19

PM

The Darkside Detective.

Not very hard, not very long, but one of the funniest games ever made.

Total Posts: 2060

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Thimbleweed Park is pretty much the game to play if you enjoy old LucasArts adventures, Ron Gilbert’s most daring attempt at classic adventure making since Monkey Island 2. Unforeseen Incidents also meet those criteria more or less, many people call it a modern classic.

Goetia is considered hard and long (haven’t finished it back in the day). Sort of an open-world metroidvanian adventure where you play as a ghostly orb that solves puzzles and gains new abilities while exploring the place. It’s 7 years old now, but holds up well, and there was a sequel released just the past year — although I think it was made by different people and was not met very well (adventuregamers hasn’t even reviewed it yet).

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 2060

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

GateKeeper - 25 January 2023 05:09 AM

Not very hard, not very long

More like elementary and episodic, not much of a game there.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 860

Joined 2017-12-19

PM

Doom - 25 January 2023 06:42 AM

Not very hard, not very long

More like elementary and episodic, not much of a game there.

If you are looking for a single, long narrative, then that’s the case.
But otherwise the game is very solid. Obviously not everyone will appreciate that kind of humour, but I think it’s one of the best adventure games ever.

Anyway, I would also like to mention The Antidote.
The game is not well known even among adventure fans, the rest of the world has probably never heard about it, but it’s surprisingly good.

What makes the game unique and worth checking out is firstly a very bizarre story, which is kind of entertaining as such, but the real brilliant point of the game is that most actions in the game have unique responses. If you have for instance a meatball in the inventory and you try to talk to it, the meatball will respond back!

Otherwise the game is both in good and bad a real throwback to classic adventure game conventions, even to the point that the final puzzle in the game is actually a maze.

But for me at least that game was a real positive surprise, and one of the most memorable “new” games, whatever the definition for new might be.

And I don’t think anyone has mentioned Dead Synchronicity: Tomorrow Comes Today, which is also definitely worth checking out, even if there are some logical gaps here and there in the game.

Joined 2023-01-24

PM

Assaf - 25 January 2023 04:43 AM

Paradigm !!

Ah yes, I have bought this one, but I have to buy a PC Neutral I can’t wait

Joined 2023-01-24

PM

walas74 - 24 January 2023 10:05 PM

Despite your reluctance to play Daedelic games, I would suggest you give Edna & Harvey: The Break out a try. It’s one of the best adventure games of this century.

And as a good Spaniard, I will recommend Pendulo Studios games, such us Runaway Trilogy, The Next Big Thing, Yesterday and Yesterday: Origins.

These Spanish games look great. I never heard of them. Thanks!

Joined 2023-01-24

PM

The Darkside Detective.

Not very hard, not very long, but one of the funniest games ever made.

I enjoyed this one. Still have some episodes left

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top