• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Veoviszobraks

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

An interesting conversation about adventure games

Total Posts: 1813

Joined 2005-10-23

PM

I found this interesting conversation between two people I’ve never heard of about adventure games and other stuff: http://www.polygon.com/features/2013/2/20/4005990/nostalgia-vs-narrative-a-series-of-adventure-game-letters
Many of you must have had similar conversations, I guess.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

of course i like their taste i guess there is no big conflict ; one had gave up on adventures for its current state and the other never had and enjoying the evolution . or that what i think i understood

but anyhow i would refer this conflict (if there is) to an example if Comparing The Cat Lady to The Walking Dead .. and with a look at the Aggies so far it will be proven that they are both are Great Games.

maybe we need to get out that state of Adventure players agreeing almost all the time about certain (classics) things and having that Similar taste , maybe its time the we accept PP (for instance) saying the GK2,MI2 Sucked . and just move on.

Total Posts: 990

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

I didn’t think the male in that article had much insight into the genre - reaching back to a few childhood experiences to evaluate the entire genre. He didn’t even know what LOOM was… Jesu-well, let’s just say it felt like he was drawing his conclusions from cherry picking.

On the other hand, Leigh brought this amazing thing to the table called ‘facts’ and was engaging and insightful throughout. 10/10

The key quote from the article:

Environments. Characters. Dialogue. Wit. Our nostalgia for adventure games is really a wish for storytelling and humor to matter again in games.

Joined 2005-10-23

PM

I found a talk by Leigh Alexander here:

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Obviously as an adventure gamer, i agree with Leigh in this discussion, but Quintin did have one point:

I hate them for their byzantine mechanics. But they’re not mechanics. They’re not even puzzles. The adventure games everyone remembers most fondly, those sacrosanct stories handed down from the palace of Gilbert and Schafer, are defined by rubberized obstacles cut from the world’s own cartoonish logic.

There are too many puzzles in too many games that aren’t real puzzles, but are artificially created obstacles meant to slow down your progress, and doesn’t fit naturally or logically into the story or the setting.

But you can pretty much say that about any genre. All games have obstacles and some game mechanics you have to use to overcome these obstacles, and it is often neither naturally nor logically.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Joined 2005-10-23

PM

I do have the impression that ‘puzzles for the sake of puzzles’ are getting less in the new adventure games. Most of the developers seem to understand that the puzzles have to have to do something with the story, which makes solving them much more fun.

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

I agree, but the transformation isn’t complete.
Even a game like TWD that was very light in the puzzle department, had artificially created obstacles that didn’t really make sense.

Joined 2005-10-23

PM

TWD? Oh man these abbreviations will be even harder when The Last Crown comes out…

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Yeah - Sometimes it takes a lot of research just to figure out what people are talking about Smile

(The Walking Dead)

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top