• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Jdawg445walas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Richard and Alice

Total Posts: 45

Joined 2012-11-27

PM

So, this game got a stealth release today (at least for me, I really didn’t see it coming), and it’s up on GOG for 6 dollar (or 4,70 in euros for us Europeans):

http://www.gog.com/news/release_richard_and_alice

Adventuregamers.com preview and interview:

http://www.adventuregamers.com/articles/view/22071

Rock, Paper, Shotgun review (positive about the story, some reservations concerning the gameplay):

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/02/21/wot-i-think-richard-alice/

Story trailer:

http://www.adventuregamers.com/videos/view/23402

I’m currently playing throught it (still at the beginning) and I’m already quite interested in the titular characters and their backgrounds. Not much else to say yet.

This might be an interesting game for people who don’t mind a focus on story and characters over gameplay. If you can’t do without difficult puzzles in your adventures, this game is probably not for you. It doesn’t appear to be as light on gameplay as To the Moon was, but the puzzles seem to be mostly of the very easy kind where you can hardly go wrong.

Edit: there’s a demo as well on the developer’s website (from where you can buy the game as well):

http://denbyraze.com/richard-and-alice/

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Really stealthy release, wasn’t even noticing it in gog’s front page.
Looks like an interesting concept.

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

Man, that game was depressing.

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Joined 2012-11-27

PM

Yeah, well, it has its share of comedy/light conversations as well, especially between Alice & Richard.

The relationships between the several characters in the game worked quite well, and I wasn’t annoyed by the child character. I loved the conversations between Richard and Alice in the prison, especially how Alice toyed with and made fun of Richard.

Now, the ending came quite abrupt for me as I didn’t make all the right connections and as such it felt like I was always one step behind in the conversation, my mind struggling to catch up with what was going on. It all made sense, however, during my second playthrough that I started immediately after finishing it (somewhere between 2-3 hours for a first run, significantly less for a rerun), which also gave me a new ending as I performed an optional task somewhere along the line. How many endings are there?

Also, the scene in the church, where Alice is looking for medicine and her son was accosted by the two “strangers” was really tense. And left a bigger impact than the murder, which felt somewhat forced and had less impact because of a lack of player agency in that whole part.

The overarching plot is no light fare, but it’s not all gloom and doom in the conversations themselves. The humour there feels natural within the context and isn’t at odds with the grimness of the world and the characters’ stories.

As for the gameplay, the puzzles remain easy throughout, so you should only consider playing this if you want a good story and characters, which both deliver in my opinion.

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

I thought it was ok, but not as good as “To the Moon” which did something similar last year.

Review:

http://www.adventuregamers.com/forums/viewreply/22910/

What ending did you get…. Mine was Alice shot herself

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Joined 2012-11-27

PM

Lucien21 - 24 February 2013 04:14 PM

I thought it was ok, but not as good as “To the Moon” which did something similar last year.

Review:

http://www.adventuregamers.com/forums/viewreply/22910/

What ending did you get…. Mine was Alice shot herself

Yeah, I also enjoyed To the Moon a bit better, but I’m also a sucker for dreary stories, which R&A manages to pull off quite well. I guess I just like being punched in the stomach. The thing that really stood out in To the Moon compared to R&A was that music was so much better, a few tracks being really outstanding, and that enhanced quite a few of the scenes. 

As for the endings, I saw two different ones because of the rerun:

My first: Alice digs up the gun, has no bullet, hits Richard on the back of his head and locks him up in the shed. The end. 

My second: The one you had. To get this ending you need to get the box from the middle of the lake, which contains the bullet that Alice shoots herself with.

I’m not sure that the dialogues open up different endings, as I tried other things on my second run. They do however, sometimes provide extra information that you wouldn’t gave gotten otherwise, such as Alice’s explanation that she wanted to be a librarian. She is kind of reluctant to talk about that, so the first time I backed off, but the second time I pushed her. That was actually a nice bit of dialogue that I missed the first time around.

Total Posts: 1

Joined 2013-03-06

PM

The game impressed me a lot, but I have to admit, I didn’t understand all of the plot details, and now, when reading your variants of endings, I only get more confused about things. Maybe you folks can share your ideas?

So, I beat the game and the scene I saw was: Alice and Richard get out of the prison together, Alice digs up the gun and takes it with her just in case. She also thanks Richard for being a good companion for her over the last few days. Then they go to the church and decide that the best thing to do next is to find Richard’s hideout where Yorkie waits for him with all the food, weapons and other useful stuff. Oh yeah, and I also took the bullet stashed on the frozen lake, but it didn’t seem that it affected anything.

The game didn’t make any clear indication of “forks” in the plot, and it came to me as a surprise that there are different possible variants of the ending scene. And why would Alice shoot Richard? Was it because he traded with Polar Bears and captured slaves for them? But then, he spared Barney in the church and for some reason he was afraid Polar Bears would find out that Yorkie and he were at the church at that time. Who exactly is that girl whom Richard and his friends held hostage to buy their ticket into the zone?

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top