• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

recent scores and reviews

Total Posts: 190

Joined 2010-09-01

PM

I know the topic has gone a little off-topic, but I wanted to comment on the recent high scoring games, because I think DCast made a good point.

Of the ones mentioned I’ve played Norco, Perfect Tides, Crowns and Pawns and the demo for Dexter Stardust.

The Norco rating I actually agree with it and it has received a lot of positive praise even in the mainstream press. The Guardian’s The best games of 2022 so far.

My personal rating for Perfect Tides and Crowns and Pawns is a half star less. I think they are both good games, but even with my lower scores I thought I was being generous since I’m biased towards the nostalgia these games are appealing to (in different ways).

However, the main one I wanted to comment about is Dexter Stardust. Maybe the game gets better, but after playing the demo / prologue it felt like a completely generic, “run of the mill” game as DCast said. This is a game that I would be shocked to see on any other site’s “Best Games of 2022”. Actually, I’m willing to bet that it doesn’t even win an Aggie next year. Imagine that Return of Monkey Island gets a 4.5/5. In that case do you really think the site is going to pick this game over ROMI for best traditional adventure or best comedic game?

Maybe I’m being harsh, but I don’t see this game appealing to many people outside of adventure game fans and when they go to a game’s steam page and the developer has posted “4.5/5 stars on Adventure Gamers” in their marketing they should expect that they are in for something special when playing it. 

The reason I still donate to the Patreon every month is for the review section, even if I don’t post that often in the forums since I think I like to read reviews of adventure games from people familiar with the genre. I used to trust that a 4.5 or 5 from Adventure Gamers meant that the game is a must-play, but unfortunately that’s no longer the case.

Total Posts: 2454

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

That’s unfortunate. I have a couple of questions, if that’s alright.

Is it just the scores? Do the reviews still provide useful information, or interesting views? And are the scores justified by the reviews themselves - do they explain what merits the rating?

Would you prefer reviewers to distance themselves as much as possible from personal preferences and specific pet peeves, or do you like observations when they’re based on familiarity and personal experience with the genre?

Is there too much focus on one aspect (narrative, for example) over others (puzzles, graphics, music/sound design, etc)? Would you prefer specific ratings for each aspect and a score based on some kind of metric, or should it be more of an art than a science?

@meteor: somehow I’m reminded of a couple of neighbours drinking beer in an alley. Weirdest thing..

Total Posts: 320

Joined 2022-05-09

PM

I’ve seen this too.

The five episodes in Dexter Stardust vary a lot. The game is split into uneven chunks. At the beginning and at the end the story is in the focus whilst in the middle (I guess it was episode 3) it gets puzzle heavy.

The most valuable thing about a review is, that there is a review at all, which gives a game visibility, so, that some people have a chance to hear about a game. A database entry, in which readers can vote for games, can be a nice source already.

Total Posts: 31

Joined 2018-02-08

PM

Reviewing a game (Or any kind of media really) is hard, because it ultimately is a matter of taste and preferences.

One thing I really miss from some years back is the comment section. I assume there were valid reasons to remove it, but it was extremely helpful in balancing one reviewers’ verdict against the community opinion. This not only applies to the number of stars awarded, but also towards the listed pros&cons; as these are also quite subjective.

Message #43

Total Posts: 844

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

Regarding review scores, man, that’s a toughie. There are so many different factors that *could* be considered in any given review, and then there’s the question of which ones *should* be considered in any given review, for so many different reasons. Maybe one day I’ll write up an article containing my thoughts.

For now, I’ll say this:
Ultimately, I rate games relatively to one another. If my favorite games are 9/10’s and 10/10’s, then how good (read: enjoyable) is Currently Being Played Game relative to those games?
This usually delivers and subjectively objective scores, **BUT** I have a problem with this system. I think that comparison is a major killer of joy. I remember playing through Syberia years ago, right after finishing The Longest Journey, and the whole time I was comparing one to the other, and rather than appreciating Syberia for what it is, I was criticizing it for what it isn’t. I replayed it years later, in a different state of mind, and now I enjoy it much more than I enjoy The Longest Journey.
The thing is, while I think it is correct to appreciate every game (and life experience) for what it is from a personal perspective, such an approach is often not very helpful from a critical perspective. So many games these days are quality experiences, much more so than ever before, I think; the baseline of quality is simply much higher. Judging every game in a vacuum, all of these 4-5 star reviews make sense. But look, we all have a limited amount of time to play games, and so if we are looking to optimize our enjoyment derived from our gaming time, then we want to find **the best** games so we can make the choices that will yield the most enjoyment. Therefore, games should perhaps be judged relative to their peers, and **not** on their own merits. The sub-textual purpose of any review, therefore, is perhaps to say ‘[If you enjoy X, Y, and Z elements then] play this over these’ or ‘Don’t play this over these.’

Player, purveyor, and propagator of smart toys and games for all ages.
Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

fiksdal - 10 June 2022 01:06 PM

Reviewing a game (Or any kind of media really) is hard, because it ultimately is a matter of taste and preferences.

One thing I really miss from some years back is the comment section. I assume there were valid reasons to remove it, but it was extremely helpful in balancing one reviewers’ verdict against the community opinion. This not only applies to the number of stars awarded, but also towards the listed pros&cons; as these are also quite subjective.

Spot on!
expect ‘valid reasons to remove it’, nO!  its just pride

Joined 2010-09-01

PM

Vegetable Party - 10 June 2022 05:10 AM

Is it just the scores? Do the reviews still provide useful information, or interesting views? And are the scores justified by the reviews themselves - do they explain what merits the rating?

Would you prefer reviewers to distance themselves as much as possible from personal preferences and specific pet peeves, or do you like observations when they’re based on familiarity and personal experience with the genre?

Is there too much focus on one aspect (narrative, for example) over others (puzzles, graphics, music/sound design, etc)? Would you prefer specific ratings for each aspect and a score based on some kind of metric, or should it be more of an art than a science?

I think the quality and perspective of the reviews is still incredibly useful. For example, in the Outer Wilds review the reviewer specifically called out that if you have a problem with dying and replaying like in the old adventures then you might not enjoy this game. I didn’t listen and picked up the game because the praise for the game was near unanimous elsewhere and none of the discussion elsewhere called that out as a big problem. However, I had to stop playing the game due to frustration and I was glad that the review on this site exists to give a different perspective.

But like Baron_Blubba said, our time is limited and we can’t play everything so reviews are a good way to see if a game will be worth the time investment. Money is also limited but less of an issue since games go into bundles and are given away for free so much the price is less important if you are patient enough.

My main issue with the scores is that different authors have different scales, as in some use the more metacritic 3 to 5 star scale where an average game is like a 3.5 versus actually using the full star scale where the average should be a 2.5 so consistency would be nice. I do like that you can see an author’s review history which helps with showing the skew. A way to address this that might not be too difficult is to also show the author’s average rating by the score so one can have a sense of how they rate games more generally.

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

Thanks, that’s quite useful.

Total Posts: 2071

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Vegetable Party - 10 June 2022 05:10 AM

@meteor: somehow I’m reminded of a couple of neighbours drinking beer in an alley. Weirdest thing..

Personally I always read full reviews of the games that interest me (and those usually include all the 4+ star reviews), and I mentioned how I disagree with some of the points made about story and puzzles - take the Perfect Tides review for example (sorry!): first the reviewer writes that the game is very light on puzzles and that many of them “solve themselves”, yet at the end he mentions “plenty of non-linear puzzles” as one of the pros for the near-prefect score. This makes no sense, for me at least.

Then again, I don’t believe a reviewer should distance from personal preferences. As a former game reviewer myself Smile I don’t believe a game could be rated solely based on “objective” factors, there are always such things as experience, positive affectivity, etc. (and by etc. I don’t mean politics which ruined a couple of good gaming sites). Still there’s always a website policy. And with adventuregamers it used to be “No mercy!”. AG was once the most critical adventure site out there, why many people trust it I think.

It was critical even when adventure games were considered to be dead. During the past years AG kept saying that “never we have witnessed so many ags”. Which I think should’ve led to an even more harsh review policy. Instead reviews are getting more and more forgiving, which also makes no sense. I hope I’m wrong and Return to Monkey Island will get 1 star (muahaha)  Naughty

PC means personal computer

Joined 2010-09-01

PM

And I don’t mean to pick on the Dexter Stardust reviewer too much since I think they write very good reviews but looking at their most recent 25 reviews I calculate an average of 3.62. So going forward I know to think of a game they rate 3.5 or 4 as average, 4.5 as good and 5 as great, rather than 4=great, 4.5=GOTY contender and 5=All-time favorite which is the rating scale I use.

Total Posts: 645

Joined 2017-08-27

PM

Absolutely agree with TheLongestJourney on the consistency of the scoring. Which scale is it? What is “average” for the AG reviewers? We’ve been getting high marks left and right, so am I to understand that we’ve been flooded with, like Doom said, a flurry of masterpieces?

Because I’ve played either a full game or an prologue/demo for almost all of them (besides Perfect Tides), and only NORCO made an impression on me as the game that I personally didn’t really enjoy, but I can 100% see other people liking it. I’ve got 0 qualms with NORCO getting its high marks. The rest of Dexters, Half-past Fates and Crowalts? Middle-of-the-road, forget-right-after-you-played-it, generic adventures. They aren’t bad, mind you. They are just average. So there isn’t much value in 4 and 4.5 stars anymore because they are generously given to games with “GOOD” attributes like - “unobtrusive background music” or “not too much backtracking”.

Add to the points of BB and TheLongestJourneys here - money and time invested does matter. And I hope that it’s clear that the only reason we even have discussion right now is because people here trust in this site. We care, we read reviews, we talk, we ask questions - all of this is a good sign of people that are actually involved.

I think it would be excellent to bring back comments section of the reviews, of which fiksdal reminded. It would, indeed, at least attempt to balance some scores that enough people here see as undeserved.

EDIT: Just read Doom’s last comment after I posted mine and wanted to add that I ABSOLUTELY miss that more critical approach to adventures AG seemed to have in the past. That only means one thing - they were holding the games to the highest possible standard. Which is what it should be when it comes to something we’re passionate about. And it does build trust.

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

@Doom: Grin well, noted!

@Dcast: your contributions to the “Upcoming adventure games…” thread are excellent.

Question about the comment option: I don’t remember it being used a lot and with current ways of leaving your own rating, would it have a function beyond commenting on the review itself?

It’s a double-edged sword, but I appreciate the suggestions.

To all my lurkers out there, if you have ideas but you don’t want to jump into the thread, ideas through PM are welcome as well!

Total Posts: 31

Joined 2018-02-08

PM

Personally I’m not keen on reading through multiple reviews from strangers without any kind of review guideline, so the user rating system is only helpful to me if a game gets a substantial amount of reviews to calculate a meaningful average score.

The user comments where helpful because they offered meaningful input in the context of the review itself.

Message #43

Total Posts: 724

Joined 2004-03-09

PM

Vegetable Party - 10 June 2022 06:25 PM

Question about the comment option: I don’t remember it being used a lot and with current ways of leaving your own rating, would it have a function beyond commenting on the review itself?

That’s pretty much what you’re saying here, Vegetable.. I’ve re-added the comment section for quite a long time (like a year ago) to see it result in about two comments during a few months. After a while, I gave up and removed it again as it was just not getting any traction, honestly.

Since then, I’ve tried to find ways to get the perspective of others with community reviews/ratings, but even there, there’s often hardly any beyond a star rating…  If you go to any game page, you’ll see we give pretty much as prominent coverage of how the community rates it versus how Adventure Gamers rate it.

I’m still very open to ideas and suggestions on how to provide this visibility more, as I genuinely like the idea and feel it complements well; the thing is mainly that I’ve often heard folks want something, me spending time to add it, and then there’s hardly any usage.

Total Posts: 5051

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I think if a feature, such as the ability to comment on reviews, is not used, that is not a reason to remove the feature. Unless, of course, that un-used feature is sucking bandwidth or other assets from the forum. Otherwise, just leave it alone. Sooner or later a relevant comment will need to be made.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top