• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: Home β†’ Forum Home β†’ Gaming β†’ Adventure β†’ Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Why the lack of posts?

Total Posts: 2071

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Just wanted to check in here. I’ve been playing games & reviewing them on my own since everyone seemed to be preoccupied with Syberia 4 and The Shapeshifting Detective - which I wasn’t playing for my personal dirty reasons. I’m also not sure about voting at the CPT thread since rtrooney wants Syberia to win so badly. And with the world crisis and dramatic changes to adventuregamers I don’t feel like battling with anyone. But I like that there’s a thread now where you can get it off your chest.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 5051

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Doom - 21 April 2022 03:00 PM

I’m also not sure about voting at the CPT thread since rtrooney wants Syberia to win so badly. And with the world crisis and dramatic changes to adventuregamers I don’t feel like battling with anyone.

I’m sure where you get that idea. I nominated the game, so, of course, I would like to see it win. But I’m certainly not trying to bribe voters since, as of today, no other games have been nominated. If it stays that way, and the game wins by default, there will be no CPT. I’m playing the game by myself right now, and I have no desire to duplicate that experience.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

rtrooney - 21 April 2022 06:18 PM

I’m sure where you get that idea. I nominated the game, so, of course, I would like to see it win. But I’m certainly not trying to bribe voters since, as of today, no other games have been nominated. If it stays that way, and the game wins by default, there will be no CPT. I’m playing the game by myself right now, and I have no desire to duplicate that experience.

You spoke about a Syberia CPT in other threads before, so I thought you wanted to play/replay it regardless. I won’t be able to participate anyway (as mentioned before), but I support any modern adventure CPT. I just don’t see any other opportunities. If Ron Gilbert declares that Monkey Island is going to be released next week, I will nominate it at once Smile

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I certainly have said that in the past, even before STWB4 ever hit the marketplace. Just looking at the trailer made me think it would be a great CPT. Based on the positive experiences with the CPTs of S1 and S2 my opinion has not changed. But enough of that. It’s a conversation that should only continue on the voting thread.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Jdawg445 - 21 April 2022 09:18 AM
Karlok - 21 April 2022 07:12 AM
Jdawg445 - 20 April 2022 09:34 PM

Not really, lets be honest these forums only really have 10-15 active users at any one time.

Yes. Which proves my point. Tongue Because that wasn’t always the case.

Lol has been for at least 3 to 5 yrs

Yes, that’s true. And it is not the first time someone started a thread about this subject. But I have been around for 24 years. I’m one of the few people left who remember Jackal as a moderator at Gameboomers.

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Total Posts: 2454

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

Potential solutions!

1. Every poster has a chance to win a toaster - (TROUWE POSTERS WINNEN BROODROOSTERS)

2. We host celebrity posters to draw attention, or impersonate them until we get in trouble - (is that @TheRealAlLowe going crazy in the bad jokes thread?)

3. We become extremely toxic. That always draws crowds on the interwebs.

4. We learn Mandarin and embrace the merits of Xi Jinping’s Thought on AdventureGamers.com with Chinese Characteristics for a New Era.

5. We become a Multi-Level Marketeting Operation and get new members to bring in more members. Maybe tie posting with very limited debt relief. Or penalize lurking.

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Vegetable Party - 22 April 2022 11:49 AM

Potential solutions!

1. Every poster has a chance to win a toaster - (TROUWE POSTERS WINNEN BROODROOSTERS)

2. We host celebrity posters to draw attention, or impersonate them until we get in trouble - (is that @TheRealAlLowe going crazy in the bad jokes thread?)

3. We become extremely toxic. That always draws crowds on the interwebs.

4. We learn Mandarin and embrace the merits of Xi Jinping’s Thought on AdventureGamers.com with Chinese Characteristics for a New Era.

5. We become a Multi-Level Marketeting Operation and get new members to bring in more members. Maybe tie posting with very limited debt relief. Or penalize lurking.

Another solution: make Elijah Wood a forum moderator. He could bring all of his fans and subscribers here with him, and they will talk all days how good Elijah was in Broken Age and Psychonauts 2.

Total Posts: 5599

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

πŸ‘πŸΌ Brilliant, VP!

β€œRainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Total Posts: 417

Joined 2018-03-07

PM

Hmm, I hadn’t really noticed too drastic a drop off in activity but I don’t check as much as some other users probably do.

From my vantage point adventure game fans are spread out over various facebook groups, twitter communities, discords, etc. And there’s no one spot that’s super active all the time. The most active are probably the facebook groups.

Social media adventure spots are actually the liveliest they’ve been since everyone is talking about Monkey Island.

Total Posts: 290

Joined 2003-09-16

PM

Dale - 21 April 2022 04:53 AM
lakerz - 21 April 2022 02:03 AM
cozyhome - 20 April 2022 08:09 AM

I notice more and more people especially the younger generation prefer to discuss in others like discord, reddit, fb group and etc.

Good point, doesn’t AG have a discord forum?  I’m too old to ‘get it’ haha, but I wonder how active it is?

We do. https://discord.gg/6VD4nsVb

It’s not exactly a hive of activity either though.

Thx for the link.  I signed up and explored discord a while back, but the whole experience was kinda confusing.  I know I know ... I’m old and grey and brain going to mush. One of these days I will try to embrace the experience since so many swear by it.

Total Posts: 313

Joined 2014-07-01

PM

My case may be unique, but I mostly stopped posting here because the genre is, for me, at one of the lowest points in its history. Never have there been more adventure games being released and never have I had so little interest in what is being produced. I’m not saying there are no good games, but what little there is, is obscured in such a monstrous sea of low-budget, amateur mediocrity that I don’t really want to waste my time sifting through it. There’s nothing for me to get excited about.

A recent example would be the Monkey Island announcement. If there was anything that I would find exciting, it would be that. Then I saw the screenshots and it was immediately put in the “I’ll buy it a couple years after release when it’s less than $10” pile, and then only if it gets rave reviews. The art is, quite frankly, terrible, and if the reviews are mediocre or worse, I may not buy it at all. It isn’t much better in most of the other games of the genre as well.

Even when I do find a game that I like the art of or whatever, the gameplay is usually really simplistic and/or the game is like 2 hours long. LucasArts joked about not paying more than $20 for a game in Monkey Island and 3+ decades of inflation later, I don’t even want to pay $10. It’s depressing as Hell.

Anyway, with most of the people on this forum having played all the old stuff and discussed it to death, and with so few modern games that I really enjoy, there simply isn’t any reason for me to post here. Most of my posts would simply boil down to long-winded versions of “meh” and the occasional “it sucks”. Posts like that are exhausting to make and certainly not enjoyable for anyone to read.

I do have a huge backlog of adventure games I’ve purchased that I will slowly work my way through and I will still buy adventure games now and then when they are hugely discounted, but for the most part I’ve moved on to other game genres now. I wish it were otherwise, but I don’t see the situation changing any time soon. As B. B. King so famously sang, “The thrill is gone, baby”.

Total Posts: 84

Joined 2012-06-18

PM

The forum always log me out after some time even though I selected the option to auto login in future visit. It’s annoying and discouraging me to come back to post.

Total Posts: 5599

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Cozyhome,
You can post your login problem in Site & Forum Feedback section to make Calimonk aware of it.

D,
Your case is unique because you’ve probably played more adventure games than any 10 of us combined.  I think you have a bad case of adventure game burnout. Wink

β€œRainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Total Posts: 401

Joined 2003-09-16

PM

lakerz - 23 April 2022 02:16 AM
Dale - 21 April 2022 04:53 AM
lakerz - 21 April 2022 02:03 AM
cozyhome - 20 April 2022 08:09 AM

I notice more and more people especially the younger generation prefer to discuss in others like discord, reddit, fb group and etc.

Good point, doesn’t AG have a discord forum?  I’m too old to ‘get it’ haha, but I wonder how active it is?

We do. https://discord.gg/6VD4nsVb

It’s not exactly a hive of activity either though.

Thx for the link.  I signed up and explored discord a while back, but the whole experience was kinda confusing.  I know I know ... I’m old and grey and brain going to mush. One of these days I will try to embrace the experience since so many swear by it.

I signed up too. You are not the only one. I couldn’t navigate it either, so hardly ever open my account now.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Colpet - 24 April 2022 02:46 PM

I signed up too. You are not the only one. I couldn’t navigate it either, so hardly ever open my account now.

I think anyone who signed up for Patreon a few years ago was automatically enrolled in Discord. I found little or no benefit or activity back then. And it doesn’t appear that anything has changed.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

You are here: Home β†’ Forum Home β†’ Gaming β†’ Adventure β†’ Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top