• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Farewell to Jack

Total Posts: 5608

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

For those of you who don’t look at the home page very often, you may not realize the our editor-in-chief and all-purpose person, Jack Allin, is leaving his position here at AG. 
https://adventuregamers.com/articles/view/end-of-an-era-ags-editor-says-goodbye

I’ve already sent a personal message to Jack, but I also want to acknowledge here how much I will miss his competence, his excellent writing, his sense of humor, and all the extra work he has done to make this site run smoothly. 

I will miss you, Jack, but I wish you every good thing for the future!

Difficult roads often lead to beautiful destinations.

Total Posts: 1573

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

Jack is (and has always been) an amazing writer and editor! I know I will miss all the clever puns he includes in the news announcements and review teasers.

Total Posts: 5053

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Jack and I did not always see eye-to-eye on many things. I was threatened with temporary exile on several occasions. Still, he is a great talent. And wherever he decides to take those talents, the recipient will be better for it.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

I briefly wrote for AGs aeons ago (How long has it been? 15 years?) and Jack was a phenomenal editor-in-chief. He set standards for the site, for the writers, and for himself, that were higher that what you’d find in most professional outlets.

Working with him was often infuriating, but always rewarding in the end. He’d never give up. Rather than go through draft after draft after draft, he could have just thrown up his hands and published the piece as-is, flaws and all, or rewritten half of it himself. Instead, he kept prodding and prodding until I managed to sort out my thoughts about the game and express them in a cogent manner.

Readers who only interacted with him as the grouch on the forums who would only show up when somebody needed to get yelled at may not realize how much AGs was Jack. I’m a bit scared of what will happen to the site without him (but then again I’m a pessimist). In any case, he will be missed.

I wish him the best in his future endeavours.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

When I first started frequenting this site (years before actually joining the forums), Jack was already editor-in-chief, so it’s safe to say that I’ve *only* known this site with Jack at the helm.

Jack was the one to get me on board as a moderator (a decade ago already!), and during this time my respect for him has only grown.

The quality of editing at this site has always been exceptional, easily rivaling (and often surpassing) most big-time professional review sites. That’s Jack’s legacy here.

I wish him all the best in his future endeavours, and wherever that takes him, they’ll be lucky to have someone as talented as Jack.

Jack, you’ll be sorely missed!

And Ivo, not meaning to scare you, but you’ve got some big shoes to fill now! Tongue

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 2072

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

This year is a roller coaster: incredible news, devastating news, incredible, devastating… Can’t imagine AG without Jack who seemed to be behind everything, the soul of the community who organized all those interviews and Aggies, wrote and edited everything while keeping it independent and out of politics, yelled at us. I imagine it was hell of a job - I spent twice as less here only playing adventures and leaving stupid comments, and I still often felt that games take too much of my time. And he stayed with AG during the harshest times and then built it into the best gaming website out there. I don’t think it will be possible to replace him. Good luck on your new quest, Jack.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 2454

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

Doom - 16 April 2022 04:50 PM

This year is a roller coaster: incredible news, devastating news, incredible, devastating… Can’t imagine AG without Jack who seemed to be behind everything, the soul of the community who organized all those interviews and Aggies, wrote and edited everything while keeping it independent and out of politics, yelled at us. I imagine it was hell of a job - I spent twice as less here only playing adventures and leaving stupid comments, and I still often felt that games take too much of my time. And he stayed with AG during the harshest times and then built it into the best gaming website out there. I don’t think it will be possible to replace him. Good luck on your new quest, Jack.

I’m co-signing this one.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

i have always known how essential is he to the site, and how he holds all the aspects here except the technical matters, it had been an honor working under his supervision, gave him hell, I know, but i always had the utmost respect for him. come on he looked like Dave Murray!. wish you the best Jack,  for wherever your next passion at

Total Posts: 124

Joined 2013-08-10

PM

Working on my senior thesis this year has temporarily taken me away from writing for AG on a regular basis, but the past 8 years with Jack editing my work have been amazing. I’ll definitely miss his red pen.

Cheers to you, Jack, wherever you go from here. Smile

K R Parkinson - Staff Writer

Contact: .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

Total Posts: 523

Joined 2010-02-08

PM

Thank you, Jack. The adventure gaming community owes you a debt we can never repay. Your work connected so many games to so many players. I hope that you find a deep fulfillment in whatever you choose to do next.

Total Posts: 290

Joined 2003-09-16

PM

Goodbye Jack, your position never gets the respect due because AG is such a nicely flowing website community nobody gives much thought to *how* it is that way.  People only take notice when things are not flowing well and then complain, complain, complain.  So it’s a testament to your skills and hard efforts along with the rest of hard working behind the scenes AG crew that we rarely have anything to complain about at all here.  Quibbles maybe, but complaints not so much.  I have no idea who will take over, but whoever they are I wish them the utmost of luck.

Total Posts: 487

Joined 2012-10-03

PM

Thanks for making this thread!

Goodbye Jack, and thank you! The past months/years have been very hard for me and for the world in general, and your departure is another challenge for the people who knew you, or who were reading AG.

I didn’t know you more than that on a personal point, but you always had the words to encourage small indie devs, because they are also writing the History of adventure games. The first time that I contacted AG to introduce ASA, about 10 years ago, I was very shy and didn’t know how to talk about my game, how publishers usually do it, and what players would think of my humble solo project. I’ve made mistakes, I’ve been clumsy, but it’s people like Jack that have helped me to get up and move on. I didn’t have very high expectations for each of my projects, they were quite invisible in general in the press, have never sold a lot, but you read my messages everytime (despite my French to English translation which is not always easy), and AG wrote unexpectedly good reviews for my games.

Finally year after year I continue to work hard, probably with a different vision than at my beginning, and I’m still around here on AG, reading regularly the forum threads and checking the news, even if I remain silent most of the time. There is a solid and welcoming community here, which is also thanks to you Jack, who kept the site alive with everyone’s help and passion, despite some challenges and opposite perspectives, probably (knowing a little how it is to have to manage a team ^^).

Whoever takes the seat of editor in chief, you will do mistakes and will have your own direction, but please walk in the steps of Jack and don’t lose the heritage that he left to AG, allowing the site to still be here and well in 2022. Good luck!

Total Posts: 401

Joined 2003-09-16

PM

My first thought was—17 years??!!. Where does time go.
Jack made this site a valuable resource for all Adventure gamers, including dinosaurs like me.
I wish him the best in his new endeavours.

Total Posts: 343

Joined 2012-03-13

PM

Thank you, Jack, for all the effort and work you put in to support adventure games. I hope we will still hear from you occasionally on this site.

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

I’ll always respect the man for giving 4 stars to a brilliant The Journeyman Project 3 (and of course, for everything else he did for this site Cool )

p.s. but he also rejected my offer to write for AG, but that was more than 10 years ago when my English wasn’t that great so I’ll forgive him that one Wink

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 20

Joined 2004-04-08

PM

Thank you for everything you’ve done for the site for so many years!

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top