• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Political and ideological discourse in adventure games

Total Posts: 14

Joined 2013-01-13

PM

Have you ever thought about the underlying political themes and implications of adventure games? I am relatively a new player but from what I played, I got the impression that these games can have a rather problematic point of view about some non-Western peoples, working class and ocassionally homosexuals and blacks. The examples I can give are Broken Sword, Syberia, Jack Orlando and Runaway. I do not claim that they are purely sexist, classist or racist, but they often rely on stereotypes. I wonder what would you say about it.

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Nothing less, nothing more than in the history of books, music, and films. (well, perhaps “less” since it’s much younger industry. Tongue)

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Personally, I think adventure games do a lot better on these matters than most other game genres…

Not every character gets stereotyped. Not every Asian character knows kung-fu, not every German is a nazi, not every homosexual is effeminate, not every working class character is all brawn and no brain, not every Arab is a terrorist, not every Russian a communist, etc.
You get my drift here.

Compared to plenty of other game genres, adventure games do pretty well at avoiding stereotypes. Things could always improve (and we could actually use some more non-Western game designers, writers and developers), but so could other game genres, and so could movies and books.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 643

Joined 2006-09-24

PM

Total Posts: 359

Joined 2012-02-16

PM

rustyiron - 15 February 2013 11:46 AM

Have you ever thought about the underlying political themes and implications of adventure games? I am relatively a new player but from what I played, I got the impression that these games can have a rather problematic point of view about some non-Western peoples, working class and ocassionally homosexuals and blacks. The examples I can give are Broken Sword, Syberia, Jack Orlando and Runaway. I do not claim that they are purely sexist, classist or racist, but they often rely on stereotypes. I wonder what would you say about it.

There is a lot of stereotype-mongering in the first two Broken Sword and in the three Runaway games but I find it mostly harmless (if not 100% PC) fun (with Runaway’s Joshua being one exception). In fact, that’s where a good chunk of the humor in those games comes from. And these are mostly national stereotypes (e.g. “the French gendarmes are lazy”) and crude character stereotypes symptomatic of the poor writing in the Runaway games (the prototypical Nerd, Hot Chick, Hacker, Army Man etc etc).

So, please, do explain which AGs have offensive stereotypes based on sexual preferences, ethnicity, or class! I, for one, definitely don’t see the two Syberias fitting in there.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

rustyiron - 15 February 2013 11:46 AM

Have you ever thought about the underlying political themes and implications of adventure games?

Well no i haven’t Smile

It is true that there are plenty of stereotypes in AG, but this is mainly in humourous games. For some reason stereotypes are often funny, or at least many believe that they are (Not necessarily including myself). But if you look at the more serious games, then they are usually refreshingly free of stereotypes, and strive at a more complex and deeper description of the characters.

Okay the Broken Sword series is full of stereotypes even if it is not ‘humourous games’, think of it as an exception, but i don’t remember any stereotypes in Syberia.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 14

Joined 2013-01-13

PM

Firstly, I agree what Timovie man said, other genres have a worse record, especially when one remembers the likes of GTA, Call of duty or Red Alert.

I think I sholud make myself clear. For Broken Sword, most of the Syrians were absent-minded and almost all of the working class characters were rude and irrational machos, English were arrogant. While playing Syberia, I felt as if I was in the Cold War age, the evil and bad intent attributions to USSR are reproduced here. For Runaway, the stereotype that says “all gays think about is sexuality” is repeated in a really unlaughable way. One should add Art of Murder which portrays Native Americans as headhunting barbarians.

I might be a bit over-sensitive in this case as a psychology student who is interested with intergroup relations and class analysis and I myself an Asian (which explains my lack of English talent). However I think an adventure gamer is, or should be, more intellectual than the average gamer, the same thing can be said for games, too. Thus developers should be careful and aware of games’ content and its impact.

Total Posts: 966

Joined 2005-11-29

PM

I usually get turned off at political stuff in adventure games.

A perfect example is A Mind Forever Voyaging. Terrific game, innovative, and dealt with some heady themes, but the political overtones were so childish. They basically made it seem like if a republican got elected the world would turn into a post-apocalyptic hellscape in 20 years’ time. It was like a Rick Perry ad in reverse. I’m a liberal, too, but it just seemed stupid and was a major stain on an otherwise great game.

I think the better works (be they games or another media) are those that provoke questions, not those that try to impose their belief system on you.

Total Posts: 990

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

Uh oh, are you going to make me feel guilty for playing the Leisure Suit Larry alpha?

Over the course of 2012 there was a huge movement online to critically assess female representations in video games and, honestly, it felt less about seeing video games mature and more about making politically correct inoffensive consumer products to draw in more female consumers. I say this because people were complaining about sexism in games with ridiculous amounts of gratuitous violence like Lollipop Chainsaw.

However, even though I believe political correctness should be the furthest thing from a developer’s mind when he or she is creating a game, I don’t think you should ever shy away from political and ideological themes - especially since so many games have you overthrowing tyrannical regimes. These themes should be tackled to bring about more varied and mature titles rather than just trying to be as inoffensive as possible! I doubt we’ll escape the latter though and we’ll end up with games that handle progressive gender and racial representations in a really forced Joss Whedon wannabe fan fiction way… like Bioware!

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Frogacuda - 15 February 2013 06:51 PM

A perfect example is A Mind Forever Voyaging. Terrific game, innovative, and dealt with some heady themes, but the political overtones were so childish. They basically made it seem like if a republican got elected the world would turn into a post-apocalyptic hellscape in 20 years’ time. It was like a Rick Perry ad in reverse. I’m a liberal, too, but it just seemed stupid and was a major stain on an otherwise great game.

I think the better works (be they games or another media) are those that provoke questions, not those that try to impose their belief system on you.

I didn’t get that feeling from AMFV, although it’s been a while since I have played it. I would put it in the same category as George Orwell’s 1984, having a political theme but being universally applicable and not limited to any specific time, place or political party.

Total Posts: 946

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

Iznogood - 15 February 2013 04:57 PM

Okay the Broken Sword series is full of stereotypes even if it is not ‘humourous games’,

which is one reason why I find BS overrated and uninteresting.

think of it as an exception, but i don’t remember any stereotypes in Syberia.

Ah. Syberia. Don’t get me started. I know I’m repeating myself, so I’ll try to keep it brief. By going after the mammoth beasties Kate Walker is not fullfilling a dream of her own. She’s helping someone else achieve his dream. First she was a cold-hearted business woman. Overnight she discovers her unique womanly qualities and becomes a Mother to every child and retard in the game. Just count the number of people who are not quite all there, including a drunken pilot or something and a military guy who can’t find his glasses. Kate will help them. Kate takes care of them. She has found her True Inner Self. After teary-eyed Kate has waved goodbye to her adopted child Hans riding off in the sunset, she will find her way back to civilization, marry an attractive lawyer who never quite manages to grow up, and have six children by him.

Kate is a superstereotype. Kate annoys the hell out of me.

Now playing: ——-
Recently finished: don’t remember
Up next:  Eh…
Looking forward to:
Ithaka of the Clouds; The Last Crown; all the kickstarter adventure games I supported

Total Posts: 794

Joined 2003-10-05

PM

rustyiron - 15 February 2013 05:14 PM

Firstly, I agree what Timovie man said, other genres have a worse record, especially when one remembers the likes of GTA, Call of duty or Red Alert.

It’s a logical fallacy to think that since something is better than something else that it is therefore good. It’s a basic straw man people use to divert criticism of whatever it is they are defending. The adventure genre should be judged on its own merits or lack thereof and comparisons to anything else are ultimately irrelevant and irrational.

As for adventure games, they are almost entirely made by white people and hence depictions of black people are often racist and/or stereotypical. Black males are most often depicted in token roles associated with violence and/or crime (Security guards, bouncers, judges, cops, soldiers, gang members, drug users or dealers, etc.). If the connection to violence or crime isn’t there, then they are almost always blue collar workers. It is extremely rare to see a black person depicted as erudite, intelligent, successful and non-violent.

I’m sure someone will just try and say that this is a reflection of reality, but even if this perception is correct, the fact is that developers are more than willing to bend reality to make their average white characters somehow miraculously save the world, universe or whatever and get the guy/girl at the end, but are somehow rarely able to equally bend reality and make black men anything other than what they perceive them to be in the real world.

Adventure games are also quite patriarchal and misogynist which is hardly surprising given that almost all the developers are male, but that is another discussion.

Total Posts: 946

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

Bastich - 15 February 2013 11:03 PM

Adventure games are also quite patriarchal and misogynist which is hardly surprising given that almost all the developers are male, but that is another discussion.

No, it’s not. Sexism was mentioned by the OP.

Now playing: ——-
Recently finished: don’t remember
Up next:  Eh…
Looking forward to:
Ithaka of the Clouds; The Last Crown; all the kickstarter adventure games I supported

Joined 2005-11-29

PM

Oscar - 15 February 2013 08:48 PM
Frogacuda - 15 February 2013 06:51 PM

I didn’t get that feeling from AMFV, although it’s been a while since I have played it. I would put it in the same category as George Orwell’s 1984, having a political theme but being universally applicable and not limited to any specific time, place or political party.

But it’s not, because unlike 1984, it doesn’t just show the result, it ties it all into a cause, and traces it over the decades, and that cause is a Reagan-like character being elected it President. It really isn’t ambiguous, and it doesn’t do a good job of connecting the future results to the present day causes. The feeling of cause and effect is very poor.

Joined 2005-11-29

PM

thejobloshow - 15 February 2013 08:24 PM

Uh oh, are you going to make me feel guilty for playing the Leisure Suit Larry alpha?

I really don’t feel like Larry is a game designed around misogyny or male fantasies. The character is pathetic, and the whole game is very deliberately cornball. It’s like the Neil Hamburger of comedic adventures. It’s (intentionally) so awful it’s funny. It’s not Duke Nukem.

Total Posts: 359

Joined 2012-02-16

PM

I am quite surprised to see that people have identified so many negative stereotypes in AGs. Maybe I am insensitive to those since I check all the boxes of privilege: white, male, straight, Western, educated etc. I will try to be more cognizant of those things as I play but it’s also so hard to take games too seriously either way.

Frogacuda - 15 February 2013 11:27 PM

But it’s not, because unlike 1984, it doesn’t just show the result, it ties it all into a cause, and traces it over the decades, and that cause is a Reagan-like character being elected it President. It really isn’t ambiguous, and it doesn’t do a good job of connecting the future results to the present day causes. The feeling of cause and effect is very poor.

I disagree. AMFV shows the effects of a pure populist being elected into office - not necessarily a Republican, or a Democrat. (The fact that Reagan was himself quite the populist doesn’t really factor into it.) And I think it does a great job of tracing out the cause-effect path over the five decades of Rockvil’s decay.

At least, that’s how I remember reading it back in the day. I should consider replaying it one of these days…

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top