• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

chrissieJdawg445walas74zobraks

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

What’s wrong with pixel hunting?

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

I’m sure we all know there is a strong distaste for what is known as “pixel hunting”. Whenever it is mentioned it is always in the negative, an annoying feature the result of poor game design.

I never really thought about it before I started reading reviews, because it always seemed to me that scanning the room and following the cursor carefully with your eyes to find items (sometimes well hidden) is a perfectly natural feature of adventure games. If I’m Sherlock Holmes for example, pixel hunting seems appropriate for a detective and nearest to real-life detective work, closely searching the environment for clues. I prefer this method to clumsily moving the character around and uncovering items in front of me when I am in the right position.

On the other view, it can be frustrating when I miss a tiny trinket of a few pixels hidden under a closet. Mostly, I find that only when I am impatient I miss items and then I consider it my own fault. Maybe I haven’t played enough games with bad pixel hunting.

Do you dislike pixel hunting? Why/why not? Do you have any examples of really bad pixel hunting, and what type of gameplay would you replace it with?  Laughing

Total Posts: 974

Joined 2007-02-23

PM

Pixel hunting can be both good and bad. When it’s bad, there’s often a lot of seemingly actual items you can’t pick up because they’re just part of the environment and then there’s a few items that you miss because they have too small of a hitbox for you to somewhat easily notice them when you’re scanning the room.

When it’s done well it’s easy to distinguish what might be something of interest and what isn’t and the hitbox isn’t so tiny so it’s just one or two pixels or something.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

piXeL hunting rejection is just one point of the long thread of How to make Adventure Games Easier but not Better

Total Posts: 946

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

The pixel-hunting in Botanicula is very rewarding.  Heart Eyes

Now playing: ——-
Recently finished: don’t remember
Up next:  Eh…
Looking forward to:
Ithaka of the Clouds; The Last Crown; all the kickstarter adventure games I supported

Total Posts: 54

Joined 2008-04-03

PM

Pixel hunting is really gross, pixel hunting I hate the most!

But on a more serious note, what you describe as “good pixel hunting” is not really pixel hunting at all, but well-designed exploratory challenges. Such challenges can be criticized as pixel hunting, when an argument is made that they are too extreme, unintentional and/or out of place in the context of a particular scene. In other words, it’s the type of challenges that many people enjoy, only badly implemented and unintentionally difficult.

The last time I encountered pixel hunting was in Resonance where a body scanner in the morgue was very difficult to notice without any point to it at all. I wasted a lot of time running around locations looking for some clue I might have missed. If I was the designer I would simply put the item in a place were the player’s eyes are bound to go. For example, I was always impressed how much care about visual placement took the author of Gemini Rue: http://www.hardydev.com/2009/11/18/visually-directing-the-player/

www.hardydev.com - blogging about indie and underground adventures

Total Posts: 298

Joined 2004-08-15

PM

I dunno. If the game tells me that a object is hidden well somewhere, then that’s alright, because I know I have to look for it, and possibly where. Somewhat like in hidden object games, you know. But just not knowing that you’ve missed an object and can’t progress for this very reason…not good man, not good!

Total Posts: 198

Joined 2012-08-03

PM

I dunno. If the game tells me that a object is hidden well somewhere, then that’s alright, because I know I have to look for it, and possibly where

I definitely agree with that. A good example on how pixel hunting should be done is from Primordia when you know that you should look for an object at a junkyard, scanning the area with a metal detector, but the object is very hard to find. You have to scan all over the area until you finally find the object. That is how pixel hunting can be “fun” and fair. Smile

Anticipating:The Devil’s Men

Recently played:GK1 Remake (4), A Golden Wake (3), Child of Light (4) Memento Mori 2 (4) Face Noir (3.5) Tex Murphy: Tesla Effect (4) Blackwell Epiphany (4.5),Broken Sword 5(4.5), The Shivah Remake (4.5), Monkey Island 2 Remake (4.5)

Top 10 Adventure Games:Tex Murphy: Pandora Directive, Gabriel Knight:The Beast Within, Broken Sword:Shadow of the Templars, Gabriel Knight:Sins of the Fathers, Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, Tex Murphy: Under a Killing Moon, Lost Horizon, Grim Fandago, The Longest Journey, Blackwell Epiphany

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Again, it depends on how it’s implemented.

For instance, the very first screen you start on after the intro sequence in King’s Quest VI (the beach) has a one-pixel object (your signet ring) to find. But the ring sparkles and has a clear contrast to the sand around it, so it’s easily visible, and I don’t think anyone would miss it.

On the other hand, there are plenty of games that have a one-pixel object that’s not visible at all (like a small piece of rock in a rock wall that can be pushed to open a secret doorway). You can’t really see it (it doesn’t stand out in any way), and the hit area is so small (one pixel) that scanning the screen with your mouse might still make you miss it.
That’s the sort of pixel hunting that should disappear from games.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

I don’t mind it, with a few exceptions. Play the Capri games without the hint boxes turned on if you want some seriously frustrating pixel hunting. For pixel hunting done well, a favourite of mine is Lost Tales of Sherlock Holmes: Case of the Serrated Scalpel. The items and clues are all obvious and if there are very small items they glimmer. But you still have to keep your eyes peeled.

I think the “hotspot finder” in the newer games where you press tab and it reveals all the items utterly destroys the game. There’s no reason to pay attention, no challenge. I also think that games should make most if not all of the objects on the screen interactive, if only to let you “look” at them. That would avoid the frustration of being able to interact with some items and not others, which doesn’t really make sense.

ozzie - 27 January 2013 07:21 AM

I dunno. If the game tells me that a object is hidden well somewhere, then that’s alright, because I know I have to look for it, and possibly where. Somewhat like in hidden object games, you know. But just not knowing that you’ve missed an object and can’t progress for this very reason…not good man, not good!

But then, if I’m trying to solve a murder mystery why should I be told I have missed something? I would think Poirot, Holmes and Laura Bow are better than that and if they need to be directed to the clues then they aren’t very good detectives.

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

Pixel hunting like any other feature in gaming has to be taken in context and used sparingly and appropriatly.

In scenes where you are investigating a crime etc then hunting the scene for small clues is prefectly acceptable.

However some developers in the past have used it to cover for bad puzzles, they hide the item you need in a 2 pixel hotspot so you end up stuck. Not because you don’t know how to solve a puzzle, but just because you never found the nail you needed to poke the key through the other side of the door onto the paper.

It’s commonly used as a cheap way to amp up the difficulty of a game. Rather than make interesting or challenging puzzles to test the brain you just hide objects in difficult to find areas or make them one pixel wide.

Lucasarts used to play with the pixel hunt tradition usually for easter eggs and secrets (Like the button on plunder island beach that fires the cannons)

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 245

Joined 2006-05-20

PM

The annoying thing about pixel hunting is that when you miss something, you get stuck and you have no idea about it. Is it that you have the items but are not able to find the solution? Or you have to carefully go back and search each and every room again? You have no idea and that is frustrating.

Pixel hunting is fine if you know that you are missing an item and which room it is in. I dont mind hidden object scenes in casual games for example because you know exactly where you stand in the game.

Also the point of games is not necessarily to be realistic but to be fun and entertaining. Just because Poirot would have to search every corner doesnt mean I want to spend 20 hours observing every pixel. The idea is to make me feel like I am Poirot, but to keep it fun at the same time.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

The problem with pixel hunting is that adventure games are not hidden object games.

IMO the challenge in AG should be about using your intelligence and logical thinking to solve different kinds of puzzles, not about finding items or clues that are more or less hidden.

Sometimes a bit of pixels hunting can be ok, but only if you either know what you are looking for, or know that you have to find someting in a specific place, but that is rarely the case. In most games you really have to turn into a kleptomaniac, and take everything that is not nailed to the enviroment, figuring that it will be useful later in the game.

Siddhi - 27 January 2013 08:32 AM

Also the point of games is not necessarily to be realistic but to be fun and entertaining. Just because Poirot would have to search every corner doesnt mean I want to spend 20 hours observing every pixel. The idea is to make me feel like I am Poirot, but to keep it fun at the same time.

I totally agree.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 181

Joined 2005-11-15

PM

Lucien21 - 27 January 2013 08:03 AM

In scenes where you are investigating a crime etc then hunting the scene for small clues is prefectly acceptable.

However some developers in the past have used it to cover for bad puzzles, they hide the item you need in a 2 pixel hotspot so you end up stuck. Not because you don’t know how to solve a puzzle, but just because you never found the nail you needed to poke the key through the other side of the door onto the paper.

I agree. There are cases where you can reasonably be expected to search a place with a fine-tooth comb, or where you can discover an optional clue if you do. For instance, the first few times I played Deja Vu, I didn’t notice the earring in the ladies’ room, but that’s fine. You don’t have to, and the game never says anything when you find the other earring later in the game. But it’s a nice little clue that someone was there recently:

On the other hand, the flag in Future Wars was something you had to find. It’s two pixels, and there really wasn’t much reason for it to be there in the first place:

It’s on the floor behind the bathroom door.

The wrench in Guilty had a better reason for being there, I guess, but it’s unnecessarily hard to make it out against the background since to me it just looks like another crack between two stones.

It’s at the bottom of the stairs.

Total Posts: 245

Joined 2006-05-20

PM

Also, its worth pointing out that in IF games, you can always do a “look” and get a description of all the objects in the room. You may have to do a couple of steps to get item (examine specific parts, do some action etc) but at least you knew which objects you could interact with.

So I disagree that hotspot markers make games easier. I use them always when entering a new screen. This is no different than doing a look command in IF games. If the main challenge in the game is in hiding the object then there is something wrong with the game design. The puzzle should be in how to use/interact with objects, not hunting them on the screen.

Total Posts: 5598

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I loved The Dig except for the the scene in which Boston talks to the alien inventor.  There is a wand to pick up that furthers the story, but like the wrench in Guilty, it’s impossible to see.  I spent several frustrating hours trying to figure out what to do next.  Even after checking a walkthrough, I had trouble finding it.  Those are the kinds of pixel hunts that drive me batty.

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Siddhi - 27 January 2013 11:25 AM

Also, its worth pointing out that in IF games, you can always do a “look” and get a description of all the objects in the room.

I was just about to ask the same thing, and how would “pixel hunting” relate to IFs (if at all), so your analogy is very interesting. However

Siddhi - 27 January 2013 11:25 AM

This is no different than doing a look command in IF games. If the main challenge in the game is in hiding the object then there is something wrong with the game design. The puzzle should be in how to use/interact with objects, not hunting them on the screen.

and after giving some thought to it - I’d say “pixel hunting” is a graphic adventure invention, and not necessarily a bad one. If adventure games did “evolve” from text to graphic, it didn’t come without its “flaws” or “casualties”. But I agree with the notion mentioned here that “good” pixel hunting is actually good design and exploratory feature. It’s just that we use “pixel hunting” term only when it’s brought to the extreme, like those examples above, with objects well hidden, and to the point of frustration.

So, and as already said by Tim and others - it really depends on the game design, but to me it also depends on the graphic itself. I mean, give me lush graphics like The Whispered World and I’d spend whole day looking at the scene trying to find the objects. Tongue But it’s not really in how good the graphics look, it’s also how the game “prepared” you for the scene with “pixel hunting” - if it’s been all *yawn* up to here, then pixel hunting certainly won’t help. However, if you’re in the middle of the CSI-style scene, where everyone expect you to be a great forensic detective, then you should really closely observe the screen and deduce what’s important. Furthermore, detecting by yourself which “hotspots” are relevant to the current state of things could be just another “puzzle”, and skipping it by highlighting hotspots can kill the fun of it. Imagine a game where you’ve entered your boss’s office while he’s not there, and even more, let’s imagine it’s a timed puzzle (but it doesn’t have to be) - you need to know what’s important here, and good game design will hint you previously that. Then, “pixel hunting” is just a sort of a puzzle. For example, the game hinted to you that some proofs are hidden in your boss’s cell phone. Then you’ll certainly want to look for the phone as soon as you enter the office no matter how small and hidden it may be.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top