• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

angelus_04Dale

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough #56: Unforeseen Incidents

Total Posts: 7419

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

deleted

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Total Posts: 5804

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Advie - 22 November 2019 12:29 PM

i really enjoyed that game, nevertheless, while we are at it chapter2 could be the less appealing one all over.

It’s definitely my least favourite chapter so far but there’s still lots of interesting puzzling to be had so it’s all relative!  Smile 

Pegbiter - 25 November 2019 11:29 AM

I find the puzzles of Unforeseen Incidents to be refreshingly technically accurate when compared to the nonsense logic of many point-and-click titles.

Yes!  Thumbs Up

Karlok - 25 November 2019 06:35 PM

I had problems with two puzzles in chapter two. I totally missed the connection between lever 2 at the hydro plant and the stream at the farm. Had to consult a walktrough. I still think it’s a bad “puzzle”. And the second one was dumping the scarecrow in the reservoir. Sheesh. Really?

But the clues are all there.
Are they really bad puzzles or have we got too used to playing games that hold our hands rather than let us work it out by paying more attention to details?

Pegbiter - 26 November 2019 08:49 AM

I’m not claiming that the puzzles are particularly easy to solve. Their solutions do however follow an unusually realistic logic in my view. The ‘HARWOOD ENERGY - DISCHARGE CHANNEL’ sign is a good hint about where to find a way to reduce the stream in the meadow. Why you need to reach the scarecrow is on the other hand unclear and unfortunately just something you should understand by it being there.

Agreed. The 1st time I played this I’d missed the connection between lever 2 at the hydro plant and the stream at the farm.
Would it have helped to have Harper mention the number 2 on the sign?

Why you need to reach the scarecrow is hinted at through a few very subtle clues so observation needed!
To get the farmer’s power on you need to get Nelson back at work & you need Edwin out of the way to get through that other door within the hydro plant.
If you talk to Nelson in the diner he will tell you that one of his jobs at the hydro plant was to fish ‘swimmers’ out of the reservoir (or something similar) where you will see a clear sign which says “no bathing” so that’s your clue.
If you click on the stream (before you’ve been to the hydro plant) you can’t cross but if you don’t need to reach the scarecrow why do you need to reduce the stream? But what can you use to trick Edwin who’s trying unsuccessfully to do all of the jobs of two people to make it look like someone needs to be fished out of the reservoir to get him out of the way?

Yes, it’s a little convoluted but it made sense to me sort of & I liked it. Thumbs Up 

The puzzle that I couldn’t get my head around was the turbine one?????

Mikekelly - 02 December 2019 08:00 PM

Ok, I made it to the stopping point. I actually am liking the game more, it’s actually brought a smile to my face a few times.
Heart

I’m glad that you’re enjoying the game more. Thumbs Up

Pegbiter - 04 December 2019 06:51 PM

I’ve reached Chapter 4 and continue to have very positive feelings about this game.
The puzzle in Chapter 3 that I guess might be easy to get stuck on is finding the credentials for the computer on the island. Or perhaps it’s obvious? It felt like I had luck to thank for realizing the solution fairly quickly.

Yes, I think that was the 2nd of 2 computer puzzles (hacking ones aside) & truly couldn’t fathom out where to get more info than was presented in the game because apart from the initial logging in with name & password was there any info to help you with what to do next? I was lost!

Advie - 05 December 2019 04:15 AM

The puzzle with the pressure pads & the commentary is a dream like magnificent, one of the very best i encountered in the past 10 years (or so) of adventuring.

It wasn’t personally one of my favourites but I didn’t mind it. If like myself you have an older version of the game with just the files from e.g. GOG, that puzzle may present as quite glitchy but I know it has since been updated. 

Karlok - 06 December 2019 10:08 AM

I liked chapters 2 and 3 best. Can’t choose, they’re both great. Loved the music in chapter 2 and the puzzles in 3.

Character-wise I really liked Ranger Jervis in the 2nd Chapter & liked the triangulation puzzle especially amongst lots of other interesting ones.

In Chapter 3 I loved the means to locate the warehouse using the photos & the IMD in the library. Also the docks puzzle to retrieve the package.

So far Chapter 3 is my favourite. I liked the normality of the locations (most of them).
  Smile

Karlok - loving all of your avatars from the game   Thumbs Up

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I’m not sure that everyone has caught up but I don’t want to hold anyone up.
So anyone that’s keen to move on please go ahead & finish the game.

As well as being curious as to thoughts on the plot what are your theories about the hacking puzzles at the beginning of each chapter? 

Smile

Total Posts: 421

Joined 2007-08-13

PM

chrissie - 08 December 2019 10:55 AM

The puzzle that I couldn’t get my head around was the turbine one?????

I’m not sure if there is more to it than just testing different settings of one slider at a time to see what activates turbines while keeping the pressure down.

chrissie - 09 December 2019 04:00 AM

what are your theories about the hacking puzzles at the beginning of each chapter?

Unless those hacking puzzles are not in chronological order, it can’t be Harper who’s solving them. I suspect we’re seeing those from some antagonist’s view.

Joined 2007-08-13

PM

I’ve finished the game now. Playing the whole chapter in one evening was not my intention but this one was a bit shorter than I had expected.

I’ll need to sleep on it before articulating my thoughts about the ending.

Pegbiter - 09 December 2019 04:53 AM

Unless those hacking puzzles are not in chronological order, it can’t be Harper who’s solving them. I suspect we’re seeing those from some antagonist’s view.

Apparently I was wrong about the hacking puzzles being solved by an antagonist. Since they were out of chronological order, my conclusion about Harper was not valid even though the assumption happened to be right.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I have finished the game. I actually enjoyed it, different, but different in a good way. It’s a strange little indie game, but the characters grow on you and the plot draws you in after a while.

The hacking game consists of four levels, by the end of the last one it is revealed that you play as Helliwell, hacking the security system in the incubation room in Aquila’s headquarter to destroy the last stocks of the virus.

This CPT was fun, here’s hoping the next one is as good. Actually, the CPT before this one ended up as being quite good too, so let’s keep this string of hits going.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Joined 2007-08-13

PM

The recurring hacking puzzles does not conform with my earlier statement about technical accuracy. Why would playing a few levels of some puzzle game grant you access to a control system? It’s common point-and-click adventure logic, I guess. I did however expect more from a game that fairly accurately has you use caffenol. An alternative explanation could of course be that Helliwell just played the game while a script hacks into the system for her, or even just to pass time while waiting for McBride.

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Re the hacking puzzles this is a post I found on Steam from the developer:

Don’t read if you haven’t played. Big spoiler:
The hacking game consists of four levels, by the end of the last one it is revealed that you play as Helliwell, hacking the security system in the incubation room in Aquila’s headquarter to destroy the last stocks of the virus.
Seeing that not all players understood what was going on, we added a small animation of Helliwell in front of the computer after the last hacking game in a later update after the release.

I really liked the idea of the glimpse into the future between each chapter that reflected the various obstacles that Helliwell encountered in order to hack the security system very quickly at the end. There is a hint there with the background to each hacking puzzle comparing to that in the Aquila incubation room......it worked for me but I guess other players may feel differently?

Joined 2007-08-13

PM

The hacking puzzles and the fact that they were glimpses of the ending of the game worked fine for me. I just reflected on the fact that they differed so much from what it would look like in reality. This is only relevant since so many of the other puzzles felt very realistic to me.

I hope the upcoming games by Backwoods Entertainment will have some of the qualities they put into Unforeseen Incidents.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

deleted

Total Posts: 2056

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

This also bothered me when I played the game back then: all women look pretty much identical compared to the variety of male characters.

PC means personal computer

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I was thinking of posting a character identity quiz AFTER! the playthrough ended (& wouldn’t have minded you doing it as that’s a great job)  but I guess there’s no point now because: a whole of spoilers have just been posted before the PLAYTHROUGH HAS FINSHED!   - thank you so much NOT Karlok.

What do you think you’re doing before the playthrough has ended by posting all of these spoilers?  Couldn’t you have waited? Thumbs Up Angry

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Yea, the characters DO have a similarity about them. But the art style lends itself to that. Honestly, despite all of this, I found the character art to be one of the highlights of the game and I have seen worse.

And yea, spoiler tags are a good thing. Always.

I may play this game again in the future, it’s a small budget indie, but a cool one.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

deleted

Joined 2007-08-13

PM

It’s definitely unfortunate that we’re missing out on the character identity quiz now. Karlok does in any case have an interesting point about the lack of diversity in the appearances of the female characters. This seems to be common in the animation industry, for example made blatantly clear regarding recent Disney movies here.

Is perhaps the same true about female personalities in Unforeseen Incidents? I think the spectrum is much broader for the male characters in that regard as well. It’s weird that I didn’t realize this while playing. I rather felt that the game was modern with many strong independent female characters. Obviously, I didn’t miss that some faces were confusingly similar. The most obvious example being Crystal Energy (the con artist) who I first thought was Helliwell or Jervis.

That being said, I still enjoyed the game immensely.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top