• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

angelus_04

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough #56: Unforeseen Incidents

Total Posts: 5804

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Karlok - 18 November 2019 04:59 AM

Played this game last year, liked it. Can somebody tell me what difference, if any, it makes if you don’t call the RHC? I called them and they took the girl. I suspect it doesn’t make any difference at all, they will show up anyway. Is that correct?

chrissie - 18 November 2019 05:22 AM

No, it doesn’t make any difference as the neighbour calls them if Harper doesn’t. But it’s fun to confront the woman that McBride’s telescope is ‘observing’ Laughing

Oops, I was wrong! The neighbour who calls RHC is Mrs Olsen & MacBrides’s telescope is pointed at Mrs Denham’s window - owner of ....... nevermind!  Laughing

Lady Kestrel - 18 November 2019 04:42 PM

I just finished the section.  I like the voice acting so far, especially the professor, and the art style is simple but very pleasing.  I’m looking forward to continuing.

I think overall I warmed to MacBride more than anyone else in the 1st Chapter.

diego - 18 November 2019 07:01 PM

I remember now - the main guy sounds like Dominic Armato in Monkey Island. If I didn’t know he wasn’t Dominic Armato (and I don’t) I could have been fooled he is Dominic Armato.

Apparently the voice-actor in the English version is Matthew Curtis who also voices a character in Midnight at the Celestial Palace.

Advie - 18 November 2019 11:52 PM

........it is amazing how one can forget a game that easily, when just played it a year ago, but all for the good, and enjoyment.

i love the start of the game where Harper gives his back story from watching photos on the walls, simple quotes can gives much imagination…...

I’ve forgotten quite a lot too & yes, looking at the photos & items in his home along with just observing is a nice touch to finding out a little more about Harper. Thumbs Up

Mikekelly - 19 November 2019 10:50 PM

... So far, the artwork is unique and a joy to look at. Also the characters have a quirky charm to them I find appealing. I’ll comment more on the story later, but one last thing, I really injoyed the introduction, it set the stage well.
Heart

Pegbiter -

.....So far, I’m liking the art style.

The artwork does seem to appeal to most of us.
Thumbs Up 

Yes, I definitely agree that the characters have a ‘quirky charm’ & for me this is enhanced by the very good voice-acting - does anyone think they would be less appealing if the game wasn’t voiced or do you think the dialogue could carry it off?

I loved the opening of the game with the radio broadcast which gave you a sense of being in the real world before experiencing the events to follow in the rest of the intro which I agree set the stage well. 

diego - 20 November 2019 08:15 AM

I should warn anyone who dabbles with the radio puzzle that in my case, I had a lot of trouble in setting the correct AM frequency, because the right spot was off compared to the number on the note - the number said something like 900 MHz, while the right spot was closer to 800

Yes, I do remember that being particularly picky. Grrr! Thumbs Up N.B The co-ordinates are random if you replay.

diego - 20 November 2019 08:15 AM

I hated how slowly Harper walks in the radioactive suit, though. Angry

mo54 - 21 November 2019 08:03 AM

I have reached the start of chapter 2.I can’t say I am a fan of QTE s that came at the end of chapter one but thankfully it wasn’t too difficult to do.

Yes, it’s an annoying puzzle that relies more on observation to time your moves & know what you need to do rather than being just timed? And yes, more annoying because you can’t move quickly!  Thumbs Up
If it’s any consolation there are no other similar type puzzles to solve although there’s a reflex needed towards the end.

Karlok - 21 November 2019 08:53 AM

I absolutely HATED that one. I wasted far too much time on stupid attempts to sneak behind their backs. And when I gave up and looked at a youtube walkthrough that particular player made it on his very first attempt! QTEs don’t agree with me.

I’ve never understood why developers choose to include these sequences in games that for the most part don’t have them - is it sadism? Gasp

Total Posts: 6577

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Karlok - 21 November 2019 08:53 AM

And when I gave up and looked at a youtube walkthrough that particular player made it on his very first attempt! QTEs don’t agree with me.

Either he got lucky, or already knew what the puzzle is about. It’s not that hard of a puzzle, but I think majority of players would walk freely at first among them, because you’re wearing the suit.

chrissie - 21 November 2019 09:25 AM

I think overall I warmed to MacBride more than anyone else in the 1st Chapter.

The hotel receptionist takes the prize for me.

I’ve never understood why developers choose to include these sequences in games that for the most part don’t have them - is it sadism? Gasp

The sadism would be if the game didn’t revert you to the place just before dying. Grin It was good that it did, because I forgot to save (though, the game does feature “Continue” option so you don’t have to think about saving all the time). More about this specific puzzle, I don’t mind it from time to time to break the mold. This one reminded me of an old game Revenge of the Patriarch. And the experience I got from playing the strategy game Commandos came in handy. Wink

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I absolutely HATED that one. I wasted far too much time on stupid attempts to sneak behind their backs. And when I gave up and looked at a youtube walkthrough that particular player made it on his very first attempt! QTEs don’t agree with me.

The puzzles in this game don’t work for me either. I am already using a walkthrough to figure some of them out. Hopefully the puzzles will get better later on.

So far, pluses are artwork, characters. Negative - puzzles.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

I loved the puzzles - I’m expecting them to get even better. Reminded me of Full Throttle in places (the junkyard) and Runaway (because everyone in the game is a bit loony). The only real fetch quest was soldering, when everyone and their dog knew that you have to go to your place, use the defected part on a soldering iron, get back to hotel. Fixing the car is educational also (that’s how I was buying coolant the first time, actually: “I need coolant of that and that color…”), though you shouldn’t put pantyhose in place of a fan belt. One interesting thing is that the game is depressing and serious on one side, but comical on the other with puzzles that follow the “logic” in the best vein of comedy classics.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

the puzzle are really balanced and varied in this game, but theres no more QTEs around.

as i remember the four chapters gets longer, and chapter three is the most amazing, there iis one Myst(ian) puzzle at it, that can blow your mind away, it took my like an hour but i never gave up, or referred to a walkthrough and the man!, it was fkn rewarding, felt so good, really.

i really enjoyed that game, nevertheless, while we are at it chapter2 could be the less appealing one all over.

Total Posts: 7419

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

deleted

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I don’t see the humour being directed towards the dilemma or anyone affected by it unless I missed something? Humour can for a short while alleviate the horror of something & act as a coping mechanism - don’t knock it!

Total Posts: 7419

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

deleted

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Mikekelly - 22 November 2019 10:40 AM

The puzzles in this game don’t work for me either. I am already using a walkthrough to figure some of them out. Hopefully the puzzles will get better later on.

So far, pluses are artwork, characters. Negative - puzzles.

Heart

Yes, for sure that timed puzzle at the end was a pita but really not typical of other puzzles in this chapter or any to follow.
There’s a variety of puzzles to solve throughout the game but quite a few multi-stepped ones so e.g.
you find a TV easily enough at the junk yard (+ the cable if you managed to find it at the AD board en route to the hotel & annoying if you missed it.)
If you’ve got those you think you’ve got enough to divert the receptionist but no - there’s more to do!
If you find these kind of puzzles infuriating I can understand why they may not work for a player! I do like these puzzles myself.
Were there any puzzles that worked for you - fixing the car maybe?

Total Posts: 86

Joined 2013-03-10

PM

It was only because I had played this game before that I knew what I had to do and so second time around it wasnt too difficult which surprised me.
My first time playing the game I was like you and had to resort to a walkthrough to see how it was done.

Total Posts: 86

Joined 2013-03-10

PM

mo54 - 23 November 2019 05:40 PM

It was only because I had played this game before that I knew what I had to do and so second time around it wasnt too difficult which surprised me.
My first time playing the game I was like you and had to resort to a walkthrough to see how it was done.

sorry forgot to quote that my reply was to karlok from page 2.
Its been a while since I have been involved in a forum discussion from anywhere.

Total Posts: 421

Joined 2007-08-13

PM

I have finished Chapter 1 and am eager to continue. So far, I have only positive things to say about the game. Likable characters, beautiful artwork, interesting story and fair puzzles.

Yes, I definitely agree that the characters have a ‘quirky charm’ & for me this is enhanced by the very good voice-acting - does anyone think they would be less appealing if the game wasn’t voiced or do you think the dialogue could carry it off?

The excellent voice acting does indeed enhance the experience. I think I would have enjoyed it almost as much with only text though.

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

I think this game benefits a lot from voice overs. The graphics are cool, but it’s amateurish in terms of close-ups and animation - having a top notch voice cast really helps in bringing the life to characters.

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Okay, it’s time to move on.

Solve the hacking puzzle & play until you reach another hacking puzzle just after the beginning of Chapter 3 - by next Sunday evening (Dec 1st).

Lady Kestrel, are you still with us? Please let me know if you need a little more time.  Smile

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

if i may say, this game is only four chapters and with this pace we are finishing it all within a month, keeping in mind that all chapters are not at the same length or difficulty, i just hope we take more time enjoying this game.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top