• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

rtrooney

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Favorite adventure game ending ever?

Total Posts: 347

Joined 2006-07-30

PM

I thought it would be fun for people to share their favorite adventure game endings.  Maybe it’ll stir up some familiar and pleasant memories.  Please, spoiler tags as needed.  I think my favorite would have to be Syberia.

Kate Walker’s last second decision and desperate run for that train.  The feeling of closure but also the unknown.

Good stuff.

Total Posts: 974

Joined 2007-02-23

PM

I love the ending of Portal.

Total Posts: 643

Joined 2006-09-24

PM

Gabriel Knight 3 - amazing, emotional, and bittersweet - “Raise the lid.”
The Last Express - similarly bittersweet and emotional - “Take care of Max for me.”
Zork: Nemesis - thought this wrapped up quite nicely.
Blade Runner - because there are so many endings!
Bad Mojo - the good ending was rather sweet and touching.
Scratches - Lovecraftian brilliance.
Dreamfall - powerful, emotional. Leaves you wanting so much more in a good way.

Total Posts: 120

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

Monkey Island 2.

I’m on a whole new adventure.
Growing a mustache?
No. Bigger than that.
A beard?!?

Total Posts: 946

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

Edna and Harvey: The Breakout - both endings fit the dark, sad undercurrent.
The Whispered World - great surprise ending, although many players disagree with me.
Gabriel Knight 2 - the entire opera finale, but also the very last scene with Grace on the bridge.
The Last Express - a “good” ending would be impossible, and even now the credits with the ever-changing map of Europe give me the shivers.
The Legend of the Prophet and the Assassin - moving.
Sanitarium - loved how it all came together.
Dear Esther - knowing how it will end doesn’t make it less emotional.

I guess dark, sad endings are my favorites because they’re often more realistic. And more moving than, say, a happy King’s Quest wedding.

Now playing: ——-
Recently finished: don’t remember
Up next:  Eh…
Looking forward to:
Ithaka of the Clouds; The Last Crown; all the kickstarter adventure games I supported

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

You’ll hate me for this Fien, but the TLE ending wasn’t good. I was in total surprise at the characters in your avatar getting together (your avatar is actually a huge spoiler and I can’t believe no one has complained yet Wink). I felt no romantic interest between them before that point and I felt they just threw it in because it’s a crowdpleasing ending.

Total Posts: 946

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

Oscar - 20 January 2013 07:33 AM

You’ll hate me for this Fien, but the TLE ending wasn’t good. I was in total surprise at the characters in your avatar getting together (your avatar is actually a huge spoiler and I can’t believe no one has complained yet Wink). I felt no romantic interest between them before that point and I felt they just threw it in because it’s a crowdpleasing ending.

How can you say that?? I’m flabbergasted. Have you actually played TLE, Oscar? They were attracted to each other from the VERY START! Examples: Cath asking Anna for a light, trying to join her at dinner, the many looks, their hands touching just before Vienna, the conversation in Anna’s compartment. Of course Anna is also a spy and she knows Tyler, which interferes with her love interest, especially since she doesn’t know who Cath really is. 

PS: About the ending… for me it’s more about the coming war, the ending of an era, the image of the firebird with its bloody beak casting its shadow over Europe. I liked the ending between Cath and Anna because they had no future together. Different convictions, different goals. Sex and passion, but they were ships that pass in the night.

Now playing: ——-
Recently finished: don’t remember
Up next:  Eh…
Looking forward to:
Ithaka of the Clouds; The Last Crown; all the kickstarter adventure games I supported

Total Posts: 2

Joined 2012-05-27

PM

The whispered world-Really great unexpected ending ! - This is what i want for a game ending it’s surely the best for me
Gemini Rue - Really emotional, a true masterpiece

Total Posts: 2991

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

I also believe The Whispered World ending was great. Unexpected and totally shocking.
The Walking Dead had also a nicely given ending (though an expected one)
I liked a lot the good ending in Riven.
But IMO, the greatest ending was in The Longest Journey. Unexpected (for me), and greatly, greatly touching.
The Space Bar ending was a total shock too!!

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

To the Moon and Dreamfall for being so gutwrenching emotional.
999: Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors for being such a mindfuck…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Fien - 20 January 2013 08:09 AM
Oscar - 20 January 2013 07:33 AM

How can you say that?? I’m flabbergasted. Have you actually played TLE, Oscar? They were attracted to each other from the VERY START! Examples: Cath asking Anna for a light, trying to join her at dinner, the many looks, their hands touching just before Vienna, the conversation in Anna’s compartment. Of course Anna is also a spy and she knows Tyler, which interferes with her love interest, especially since she doesn’t know who Cath really is. 

PS: About the ending… for me it’s more about the coming war, the ending of an era, the image of the firebird with its bloody beak casting its shadow over Europe. I liked the ending between Cath and Anna because they had no future together. Different convictions, different goals. Sex and passion, but they were ships that pass in the night.

Hmph, then I must have not paid enough attention. Then again maybe I missed all that stuff, since the game wanted me to be omniscient enough to be in the right place at the right time.

Total Posts: 51

Joined 2011-07-11

PM

DreamWeb - short, cold and just right for this game.
Tender Loving Care - well, there are more endings, but these are better then in the most games.
Gabriel Knight 2 - my favorite ending. I replay the final scene quite often Smile.
The Lost Crown - not just the final scene, but whole chapter when the mood is changed so dramatically.
Harvester - “bad ending” was… great!

Also liked ending of Portal, Sanitarium or GK3. And Automation.

Currently playing: Ever 17, The Space Bar

Total Posts: 1079

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

My all times favourite is Grim Fandango, Number 9 train leaving to Ninth Underworld,precisely the best visualisation of an ending concept i’ve seen in agames.

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

TimovieMan - 20 January 2013 09:38 AM

999: Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors for being such a mindfuck…

This one. Totally. Grin

Also Syberia in the emotional side. So good I almost didn’t want to play Syberia 2…

Total Posts: 1785

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

Everyone stop going on about TWW! I’m playing it right now!

I don’t know. Just ‘cos I can’t afford to buy games outside of sales so play them much later than everyone else everybody thinks they can spoil it all for me. No-one cares. There’s no sympathy or understanding in this world anymore. I think I’ll have to leave this cruel environment and trek out into the forest to see if I can find the ways to finding the misplaced love and compassion that have been kidnapped by small-minded, selfish and evil adventure gamers.

Goes off muttering about an idea for creating a brand new adventure game…......

Life is what it is.

Total Posts: 1785

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

Back to the thread proper.

I really loved the very final scene of Discworld Noir.

The ending of Under A Killing Moon summed up Tex’s life quite well and I was more than happy with the ending of The Blackstone Chronicles as I can’t stand children being mistreated.

And the ending of J.U.L.I.A. was well thought out (if improbable) although everyone playing the game can only make one choice (albeit playing hte ending again to see the outcome of the second choice).

Other than that I find most game endings as that: I’ve finished the game.

Life is what it is.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top