• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Lady Kestrel

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Deponia Movie?  (Not really)

Total Posts: 347

Joined 2006-07-30

PM

This is funny.  I was looking at a preview of big upcoming movies in 2013.  One of them is a movie called “Elysium” by director Neill Blomkamp.  It’s his big budget follow up to District 9.  It stars Matt Damon, but check out this official plot summary from IMDB:

“In the year 2159 two classes of people exist: the very wealthy who live on a pristine man-made space station called Elysium, and the rest, who live on an overpopulated, ruined Earth. Secretary Rhodes, a government official, will stop at nothing to enforce anti-immigration laws and preserve the luxurious lifestyle of the citizens of Elysium. That doesn’t stop the people of Earth from trying to get in, by any means they can.”

I read this description and it sounded like a plot summary of Deponia, right down to the exact name of the utopia.

Coincidence?

Total Posts: 974

Joined 2007-02-23

PM

Elysium has been in production for quite awhile, before Deponia was released.

Joined 2006-07-30

PM

Kasper F. Nielsen - 19 January 2013 11:29 PM

Elysium has been in production for quite awhile, before Deponia was released.

Yes, I don’t actually think this movie is copying off of a (let’s be honest) obscure video game, but it was kind of a crazy coincidence.

Joined 2007-02-23

PM

Hey, you never know!

Total Posts: 278

Joined 2012-12-22

PM

Maybe it’s the other way, Deponia took the story from the movie? Smile

Story rich DRM-free games for Windows, Mac and linux for direct download - https://fireflowergames.com/. Half the profit goes to projects that benefit the environment and game related projects.

Total Posts: 87

Joined 2007-07-23

PM

Interplay - 19 January 2013 11:26 PM

“In the year 2159 two classes of people exist: the very wealthy who live on a pristine man-made space station called Elysium, and the rest, who live on an overpopulated, ruined Earth.

Definitely not the first time I’ve seen such an idea, but I can’t remember where from…

Total Posts: 87

Joined 2007-07-23

PM

Goldeneye - 25 January 2013 03:57 AM

If you want to find something both have lend from than you should look at Battle Angle Alita as an more obvious inspiration.

Ahh, maybe that’s what I was thinking of. Was that a space station though, or a “city in the air” of some kind? I’ve certainly seen the latter (which is a bit different to the Elysium idea…) in anime.

Joined 2006-07-30

PM

Blah - 25 January 2013 06:00 AM
Goldeneye - 25 January 2013 03:57 AM

If you want to find something both have lend from than you should look at Battle Angle Alita as an more obvious inspiration.

Ahh, maybe that’s what I was thinking of. Was that a space station though, or a “city in the air” of some kind? I’ve certainly seen the latter (which is a bit different to the Elysium idea…) in anime.

Ah, Battle Angel.  That was a great anime.  I remember for a while they said James Cameron was going to make a live action version.  I wonder whatever happened to that?

Joined 2007-02-23

PM

He’s still going to make it, just after he’s done with the next couple of Avatars.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Kasper F. Nielsen - 25 January 2013 09:19 AM

He’s still going to make it, just after he’s done with the next couple of Avatars.

And he’s going to start production on the next couple of Avatars AFTER he’s finished counting his money from the first Avatar.
So it may take a while… Tongue

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2006-07-30

PM

TimovieMan - 25 January 2013 10:54 AM
Kasper F. Nielsen - 25 January 2013 09:19 AM

And he’s going to start production on the next couple of Avatars AFTER he’s finished counting his money from the first Avatar.
So it may take a while… Tongue

That’s assuming he doesn’t get distracted for another ten years going deep sea diving or spelunking or something.

Total Posts: 189

Joined 2010-06-26

PM

Hmmm sounds familiar! lol

Joined 2006-07-30

PM

Total Posts: 880

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

The story is a tried and true Dystopic Sci Fi idea. Its been used many times. Neither have anything in common except that core idea.

OMG, Bioshock Infinite ripped off Deponia!

Anyways, off and on topic. Elysium is going to be great. Thought District 9 was such a perfect film. Especially the short film that came before it.

Stuart Bradley Newsom - Naughty Shinobi || Our Game: Shadow Over Isolation

Joined 2006-07-30

PM

Monolith - 12 April 2013 01:14 AM

Anyways, off and on topic. Elysium is going to be great. Thought District 9 was such a perfect film. Especially the short film that came before it.

You have to love District 9.  90 minutes of thoughtful social allegory, followed by 30 minutes of absolutely badass action (including a mech!).

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Apparently the name ‘Elysium’ goes all the way back to the Greek mythology, so it is not a coincidence that not only the story is similar, but that the place is also called the same, they have all stolen it from the Greeks!

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top