• Reviews
  • Games Database
  • Game Discovery
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Forums
Sol705 campaign

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Beyond a Steel Sky (Beneath a Steel Sky sequel)

Total Posts: 355

Joined 2017-09-18

PM

Origami - 22 July 2020 09:40 PM

Cell-shading is not just a style of choice. It helps mask low polygon count and makes it look smoother.

Who said I wanted high polygons and smooth looks? Charles Cecil did, because that’s the style he chose.

Total Posts: 1255

Joined 2009-08-06

PM

I was just explaining why some developers would opt that style. Telltale games explained they did it because it made the development process easier.

Joined 2017-09-18

PM

Sure, I’m just saying there are many other ways to do that. They could, for example, have made the sequel in the same style as BASS1.

Total Posts: 7703

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Luhr28 - 23 July 2020 09:17 PM

Sure, I’m just saying there are many other ways to do that. They could, for example, have made the sequel in the same style as BASS1.

Because modern games with early 90s graphics are in such high demand?

Last played: The Talos Principle -4/5 | Tex Murphy: Martian Memorandum - 3/5 | Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc - 3/5 | Simon the Sorcerer (replay) - 4/5 | Portal 2 - 4/5 | Murder By Numbers - 3.5/5 | Heavy Rain - 3.5/5 | Disco Elysium - 4.5/5 | Freddi Fish 2: The Case of the Haunted Schoolhouse - 3/5 | Freddi Fish and the Case of the Missing Kelp Seeds - 3/5 | Whispers of a Machine (CPT) - 4/5 | Beneath a Steel Sky (CPT) - 3/5 | 3 in Three - 3.5/5 | Puzzle Gallery: At the Carnival - 2.5/5 | The Fool’s Errand (replay) - 3/5 | The Dig (replay) - 4.5/5 | Return of the Obra Dinn (CPT) - 4/5 | Beavis and Butt-Head in Virtual Stupidity - 3.5/5 | League of Light: The Game (CCPT) - 3/5 | realMyst: Masterpiece Edition - 2.5/5 | Contradiction - 3/5

Joined 2017-09-18

PM

Are ugly, dated late-00s Telltale style graphics in any higher demand?.

Total Posts: 1255

Joined 2009-08-06

PM

Walking Dead seasons sold pretty well.

Total Posts: 1

Joined 2009-10-01

PM

Just finished it. My thoughts:
B+, if you liked the original you will probably like this too.

The game was ok but could have been so much more.
Graphics, pretty spot on. I feel like it is a higher res version of the original.
Controls, clunky at times but not a problem.
Voice acting, for the most part excellent.
Story, good-ish, it mostly hangs together with no great holes. It is quite predictable, cant really think of any parts that made me go “whoah, did not see that coming”..

There are many references to it being 10 years since Foster left the city. Since then Joey has made the city a nice place to be, decided to go walkabout, handed the city over to the council who then managed to make the city a lot worse again. Most of the old tech is replaced and the people in the city seems to have forgotten pretty much everything that was common just a few years earlier.
It just seems so off, maybe a year isn’t what it used to be or its an odd in-joke.
Anyway, if it was 25 years I could sort of buy it.

The puzzles is where the problem is for me.

You will not really need to exercise you brain to much during this game. The puzzles are mostly sequential and logical.

The game will prevent you from leaving an area if you still need to do something. This is obviously needed as there are many locations far apart (otherwise, think of StS3D, a complete nightmare).

This helpful guiding serves to make the already simple problems way to easy.

The biggest offenders are the “hacking” puzzles, there are a lot of them and pretty much all consist of “move one piece of logic to another branch”.

There is a revisit to LINCspace, which is nice. For a few minutes, as the puzzles can hardly be called that.

I could write a lot more about this topic but lets end with the last puzzle of the game.
It consist of several minutes of talking where you have to solve a bunch of pretty much identical problems between the spoken lines.
These problems could be solved by randomly pressing a few buttons.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Close