• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Sefir

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Lurking Horror

Total Posts: 4

Joined 2012-11-27

PM

I recently was trying to solve the easter egg in Black Ops 2 Zombies, which made me want to play adventure games again. So I decided to play Lurking Horror and really try to finish it this time. I had previously made some aborted attempts at it. So at first I was just breezing through the game, drawing maps and discovering secrets. I got much farther than before. I got to 45 (out of 100) points fairly easily in a couple of days. Then next day I got 10 more points. Next day I got 5 more points. Now I’m stuck at 60 points. I’m not looking for any help though. I want to solve it 100% by myself. Previously the only infocom adventure game that I solved without any help was Planetfall. I’ve been playing games like Halo and Call of Duty for several years. I miss the old adventure games and especially solving puzzles. I wish they would make great new adventure games with great puzzles in them. The easter eggs in the call of duty zombie games give you a taste of what it would be like with up-to-date graphics. Games nowadays are all about bang-bang-bang, mindlessly killing everything as fast as possible. A large part of the gaming community is little boys and teens who couldn’t care less about using their brains to solve puzzles and just want nonstop mindless action.

Total Posts: 946

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

Yes, the Lurking Horror is a really nice game. If you love Lovecraftian text adventures, you should also play Anchorhead. Easier, wonderful atmosphere and free.

Now playing: ——-
Recently finished: don’t remember
Up next:  Eh…
Looking forward to:
Ithaka of the Clouds; The Last Crown; all the kickstarter adventure games I supported

Total Posts: 181

Joined 2005-11-15

PM

While The Lurking Horror was never among my absolute favorite Infocom games (don’t get me wrong, I enjoyed it but there were others that I enjoyed even more), it did have one puzzle towards the end involving a brick wall that I found immensely satisfying to solve. It just made me feel so clever when I figured it out.

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

Grue - 27 November 2012 08:14 PM

Previously the only infocom adventure game that I solved without any help was Planetfall.

Nice one! I never got very far on that one. Even though the difficulty was listed as “standard” I found it fairly tough.

The difficulty ratings never really made sense to me. A Mind Forever Voyaging was easy to me and yet it is ranked “advanced”, the same as Bureaucracy - a game which is almost suicidal! Trinity was another “standard” one, yet I found that hard as well.

Total Posts: 359

Joined 2012-02-16

PM

Zifnab - 28 November 2012 12:25 PM

A Mind Forever Voyaging was easy to me and yet it is ranked “advanced”, the same as Bureaucracy - a game which is almost suicidal! Trinity was another “standard” one, yet I found that hard as well.

I’d second that. AMFV was one of the few Infocom games (together with Wishbringer and Trinity) I’ve played that I found to be within my puzzle-solving abilities at the time. I didn’t really make progress on any of the others… On the plus side though, AMFV remains one of my most favorite games ever.

This thread makes me want to play some IF…

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

My first adventure game was “Trinity” on the C128. Loved that game. My favorite adventure game on the C128 was “Beyond Zork” - what a classic.

Anyway, I tried to finish “Lurking Horror” without a walkthrough and failed. I had to peek at a walkthrough a few times to finish it. You may have to as well.

Thumbs Up

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top