• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Syberia III

Total Posts: 930

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

The controls are clumsy, but for most people they are manageable after patching.
They are an ongoing thorn in the side, but the controls alone don’t kill the game.

I think the worst problem is the story itself—and that is something that can’t be patched.

The first two Syberia games were about Kate’s journey—the first game with her break from her past, the second with helping Hans fulfill his lifelong dream.

This 3rd game introduces a group of evil murderers and brainwashers as Kate’s antagonists. It’s too over-the-top, and I don’t think it’s the type of story the fans of the first two games wanted. In the first two games, Kate had her annoying mother/boyfriend/etc on the cell phone, but they were just morons, not murderers and not really evil. And they weren’t the real reason Kate decided to break with her past.

Kate taking a journey with the Youkols might have made a good story if her challenges had been more about progressing through a harsh, and perhaps somewhat mystic environment, without having to cope with over-the-top villains. But the story in Syberia III is so similar to the story in many casual games I’ve played—You play as an intrepid young woman. After the introductory cut scene, you wake up in an asylum/prison where you’re being unjustly detained. After you get free you have to save a group of people (who are unable to save themselves) from the evil bad guys—because you and only you can help them. I’ve played that game before.

Now you don’t need a 100% original story for it to be a good story, but there has to be something in the details of how it’s told that sets the game apart. Syberia III just seems bland.

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Kate going back to NY and we get to play some of that, until she realizes life is boring and goes back to Syberia

Total Posts: 5837

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

crabapple - 07 May 2017 01:28 PM

The first two Syberia games were about Kate’s journey—the first game with her break from her past, the second with helping Hans fulfill his lifelong dream.

Yes, & it was a beautiful ending!

crabapple - 07 May 2017 01:28 PM

This 3rd game ..........................................I don’t think it’s the type of story the fans of the first two games wanted. In the first two games, Kate had her annoying mother/boyfriend/etc on the cell phone, but they were just morons, not murderers and not really evil. And they weren’t the real reason Kate decided to break with her past.

On the point of the 3rd game I agree completely.  But regarding the 1st & 2nd games I don’t agree with your description of Kate’s mother & boyfriend being ‘morons ‘ – for me they were just regular people that cared about Kate & were concerned about the crazy path that she decided to follow! No, I agree that they weren’t the reason that Kate decided to break from her past as such but I just gleaned that she needed to be left alone with ‘no hassle’ to pursue something she believed (which they didn’t understand)  which was to find Hans & ultimately take him on to fulfil his dream. 

nomadsoul - 07 May 2017 02:35 PM

Kate going back to NY and we get to play some of that, until she realizes life is boring and goes back to Syberia

Yes, I would have liked for Kate go back home 1st!
Perhaps afterwards not to have necessarily gone back to Syberia but to have perhaps got involved with an entirely different story to help another individual crazy person to ‘pursue their dream’ 

crabapple - 07 May 2017 12:36 PM

Sokal had long insisted any Syberia 3 game had to be made for console—claimed it wasn’t “commerically viable” to make a 3rd Syberia game with the graphics he wanted unless it was also made for console. He stated this in various interviews over the years.

The versions of Syberia 1 & 2 I acquired when 1st released are for PS2 so there’s no surprise that the 3rd would be designed for console also.

Total Posts: 1813

Joined 2005-10-23

PM

Mikekelly - 06 May 2017 05:45 PM

Sadly, this game is off my must play list. I will consider buying a used copy a few years from now.

Heart

I feel the same but I will never buy it. i was disappointed by Syberia II so I will leave it at that. Pity.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

wilco - 08 May 2017 02:50 PM

Ouch…
http://www.adventuregamers.com/articles/view/32752

fuck!, Syberia is nomore.

Total Posts: 5051

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Ouch…

Ouch, indeed! I have mentally scratched S3 from my list of eagerly anticipated games.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 111

Joined 2006-09-08

PM

Ouch…

What an unmitigated disaster. I hope that Sokal and Microids leave Syberia well alone now.

But on the bright side, we still have the first two games (although to my mind Syberia 2 wasn’t as good as Syberia).

Total Posts: 298

Joined 2008-06-24

PM

Irongiant909 - 07 May 2017 12:08 PM

Where do most people think it all went wrong?

Can the blame be solely levelled at Sokal, or was it the move from the excellent 2D of S1 and S2 to the (poorly implemented) 3D of S3?

Whose decision was it to go 3D? Did those financing the game insist on it?

Take a guy that hasn’t made a game in over a decade and this is usually what happens.  I honestly didn’t find his previous stuff to be great to be honest.  I also don’t know why people assign the greatness of a game to just one person.  But yeah, reviving a dead series, hyping it, and giving one person the reigns rarely goes well. 

“Did those financing the game insist on it?”-  Who cares?  If someone is actually a competent developer and knows that this would not go well, then they either can put a stop to it or refuse to do the project.  You can’t make crap and then say that someone else was to blame.  He put his name on it, he owns it. 

I mean, come on.  Almost all adventure games to jump to 3d end up being crappy.  This isn’t something that a supposed “great” like Sokal wouldn’t see from 10,000 miles away.  EVERYONE should be groaning when they hear about this, because it is such an obvious mistake.

Joined 2008-06-24

PM

Irongiant909 - 08 May 2017 04:05 PM

Ouch…

What an unmitigated disaster. I hope that Sokal and Microids leave Syberia well alone now.

But on the bright side, we still have the first two games (although to my mind Syberia 2 wasn’t as good as Syberia).

I am pretty sure that this is done here.  They used hype and gullibility of consumers that buy sight unseen, to buy a crappy game at full price.  This works CONSTANTLY.  No Man’s Sky anyone?  People never learn, so marketers keep using the strategy.  It is usually a one time use though, so they will have to dredge up some other old Great that hasn’t done anything of worth in forever or some other gimmick to hype in order to do it again.  This one is unlikely to be revived.

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

darthmaul - 08 May 2017 04:08 PM

No Man’s Sky anyone?  People never learn, so marketers keep using the strategy.

NMS sold bananas
Also now a better game after 1 year
Plus it was new IP

Syberia 3 damage is more felt because its loved series

And Syb3 has no marketing strategy…they dont have a clue

However if this will sell poor then the series is done for

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

This made me chuckle. I thought exactly the same thing when I played this part:

And then there are the absurd, like finding a small item you don’t know you need or exists, in the darkness of night somewhere in a random lane in Volsembor. Or locating the medication of a man having a seizure who is conversant about everything except where he keeps this literally lifesaving item.

Grin

Joined 2008-06-24

PM

nomadsoul - 08 May 2017 04:39 PM
darthmaul - 08 May 2017 04:08 PM

No Man’s Sky anyone?  People never learn, so marketers keep using the strategy.

NMS sold bananas
Also now a better game after 1 year
Plus it was new IP

Syberia 3 damage is more felt because its loved series

And Syb3 has no marketing strategy…they dont have a clue

However if this will sell poor then the series is done for

Sold bananas?  “No Man’s Sky was a huge hit commercially, if not critically. The game was the best-selling release on the PlayStation Store last month, and Steamspy has estimated there are approximately 743,000 owners of the game on Steam”-https://www.polygon.com/2016/9/16/12929618/no-mans-sky-disaster-lies-lessons-learned

It sold based on hype alone, which is my point.  Same thing as this one, except the hype here was for the relatively few adventure gamers, or to pull old gamers back out.

Syberia was less felt, because way less people care about Syberia than cared for No Man’s Sky.  I saw that one a mile away too.  Hype doesn’t particularly appeal to me.

Total Posts: 5051

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

darthmaul - 08 May 2017 08:45 PM

Syberia was less felt, because way less people care about Syberia than cared for No Man’s Sky.  I saw that one a mile away too.  Hype doesn’t particularly appeal to me.

Totally disagree. More people were looking forward to a satisfactory continuation/conclusion to the Syberia series than any game I can remember. No Man’s Sky was a platformer. It may have been anticipated by a lot of people who play that platform. But I never heard of the game. Perhaps because I only play PC-based games.

Therein might lie the problem. Sokol created the third game that would be best played on non-PC systems. Thus ignoring the fact that the majority of players who played his first two games played them on PCs.

I’m not sure what kind of marketing idiocy caused him, or Microids, to make this kind of catastrophic decision, but the decision apparently permeates throughout the game.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 179

Joined 2003-09-11

PM

Ouch…

Savage fam Pan

Irongiant909 - 08 May 2017 04:05 PM

Yeah I was disappointed by S2 and never bothered to finish it

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top