• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Syberia III

Total Posts: 510

Joined 2005-07-07

PM

Oscar - 08 May 2017 04:53 PM

This made me chuckle. I thought exactly the same thing when I played this part:

And then there are the absurd, like finding a small item you don’t know you need or exists, in the darkness of night somewhere in a random lane in Volsembor. Or locating the medication of a man having a seizure who is conversant about everything except where he keeps this literally lifesaving item.

Grin

Same problem with the ice breaker machine puzzle, which to me is the worst of the bunch in this game. Only a complete idiot would have designed the machine to work the way it does, there are absolutely no clues as to how it’s supposed to work and when finally the captain breaks in through the intercom he tells Kate that she needs to hurry up but otherwise only repeats a pretty much useless clue instead of telling her how the machine works. Puzzle design at its worst imo. Nothing about it makes sense.

I suspect the design of the worst puzzles in this game has to to with achievements. Some puzzles are deliberately underclued so that you will only be able to unlock the achievement for solving them on the first try the second time you play the game. This is true of the Steiner medicine, the Krystal key and the ice breaker puzzles.

The puzzles in general is otherwise one of the strong points of the game imo, which of course only make puzzles like the above stick out like sore thumbs.

Total Posts: 53

Joined 2010-04-17

PM

this is a game that should not have been released in the current state or are we all beta testers these days.

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

darthmaul - 08 May 2017 08:45 PM

It sold based on hype alone, which is my point.  Same thing as this one, except the hype here was for the relatively few adventure gamers, or to pull old gamers back out.

Syberia was less felt, because way less people care about Syberia than cared for No Man’s Sky.  I saw that one a mile away too.  Hype doesn’t particularly appeal to me.

Yeah sold bananas, sold like crazy even after hype deflated after bad reviews and initial tech problems…it kept on selling, i grabbed my piece after recent updates so it still delivered as new ip with few people working on huge ass product and world
World better than MEAndromeda

Still hype of old franchise vs new IP is not comparable
Syberia had built in audience, believe me many gamers were looking forward to it some even like 123pazu even liked it like many on PS4 communities…they just wanted nostalgia or watever

Therein might lie the problem. Sokol created the third game that would be best played on non-PC systems. Thus ignoring the fact that the majority of players who played his first two games played them on PCs.

When PC franchises like Witcher sells more on consoles they cannot ignore that segment
W3 and other PC mainly franchises were sold more on PS4, let alone PS4 and XB1 combined

Steamspy say 30k sales thats poor

http://steamspy.com/app/464340

TP for comparison did better

https://steamspy.com/app/569860

Besides, from impressions all around gameplay and controls are just few of the problems
Story,locations and characters etc all are bad

Every time i stream some random Syberia3 gamer on ps4, i see Kate running around that ship area and that generic european houses…
I want to see whats not in real world, Syberia 1 architecture and locations were my highpoint…some unique alien european design sokal style

Imagine a Ueda game with Gears of war level design Pan

It still looks beautiful in Sokal way

Total Posts: 111

Joined 2006-09-08

PM

I know I’m repeating myself but Syberia really is a beautiful game (visually, aurally and with regards to gameplay, characters, dialog, etc).

It’s so incredibly disappointing that Syberia 3 is so awful.

I remember reading a number of articles and reviews over the past few years that stated Syberia reinvigorated the adventure gaming industry. I’d love to hear a full and honest interview with Sokal to get his opinion on what went wrong with Syberia 3.

Total Posts: 298

Joined 2008-06-24

PM

nomadsoul - 09 May 2017 05:24 AM
darthmaul - 08 May 2017 08:45 PM

It sold based on hype alone, which is my point.  Same thing as this one, except the hype here was for the relatively few adventure gamers, or to pull old gamers back out.

Syberia was less felt, because way less people care about Syberia than cared for No Man’s Sky.  I saw that one a mile away too.  Hype doesn’t particularly appeal to me.

Yeah sold bananas, sold like crazy even after hype deflated after bad reviews and initial tech problems…it kept on selling, i grabbed my piece after recent updates so it still delivered as new ip with few people working on huge ass product and world
World better than MEAndromeda

Still hype of old franchise vs new IP is not comparable
Syberia had built in audience, believe me many gamers were looking forward to it some even like 123pazu even liked it like many on PS4 communities…they just wanted nostalgia or watever

Therein might lie the problem. Sokol created the third game that would be best played on non-PC systems. Thus ignoring the fact that the majority of players who played his first two games played them on PCs.

When PC franchises like Witcher sells more on consoles they cannot ignore that segment
W3 and other PC mainly franchises were sold more on PS4, let alone PS4 and XB1 combined

Steamspy say 30k sales thats poor

http://steamspy.com/app/464340

TP for comparison did better

https://steamspy.com/app/569860

Besides, from impressions all around gameplay and controls are just few of the problems
Story,locations and characters etc all are bad

Every time i stream some random Syberia3 gamer on ps4, i see Kate running around that ship area and that generic european houses…
I want to see whats not in real world, Syberia 1 architecture and locations were my highpoint…some unique alien european design sokal style

Imagine a Ueda game with Gears of war level design :pan:

It still looks beautiful in Sokal way

It is funny.  I wasn’t sure what you meant by sell bananas.  I asked a friend and he had a different interpretation than me.  We were both wrong. : P

Total Posts: 1813

Joined 2005-10-23

PM

Wow gamrgrl, that review of yours is shocking. You did a good job, it’s only that I hadn’t expected that low a score. I will replay the first Syberia soon Smile

Total Posts: 1078

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

nomadsoul - 09 May 2017 05:24 AM

Well actually you can see Syberia1 architecture in real world,Sokal didnt modelled the architecture with creativity and imagination simply copied from Art Nouveau era buildings,interiors and furniture designs throughout the Europe.

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

Total Posts: 131

Joined 2006-10-02

PM

...and modelled miss Walker from generic millenium new yorkian lawyers what not. No imagination, no creativity.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

some people are asking for refunds, seriously what the hell had happened, i am gonna play itanyway, i won’t take any opinion seriously until i finish it myself..

i think the problem so far i read is trying to have this game compatible with all ports and consoles, which is crazy

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Yet another tick against the old saying “a delayed game will be eventually good.”

Total Posts: 1078

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

When i remember 15 years old Syberia how strong was the story and message,set of characters and the soundtrack but now it’s seems like struggling at all departments.Maybe the better if Sokal try a full3d remake but doubt Microids still can manage that properly.

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

Total Posts: 495

Joined 2008-07-23

PM

Gabe - 10 May 2017 03:04 AM

Maybe the better if Sokal try a full3d remake but doubt Microids still can manage that properly.

Not every game needs to be remade, the first Syberia still looks beautiful today.

Women come and go… a highscore lasts forever

Total Posts: 111

Joined 2006-09-08

PM

Abnaxus - 10 May 2017 05:09 AM
Gabe - 10 May 2017 03:04 AM

Maybe the better if Sokal try a full3d remake but doubt Microids still can manage that properly.

Not every game needs to be remade, the first Syberia still looks beautiful today.

Quite right - a remake of Syberia (or Syberia 2) in 3D would be awful.

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

No to 3D remaster, Remaster like Residentevil, but thats useless for Syberia
REmake again sold more than a million closing in 2 million so the idea that prerendered games cant sell is false

tomimt - 10 May 2017 02:55 AM

Yet another tick against the old saying “a delayed game will be eventually good.”

That was debunked already when Miyamoto and his gang themselves dropped the ball on Starfox

Total Posts: 36

Joined 2006-03-14

PM

Advie - 09 May 2017 05:37 PM

i think the problem so far i read is trying to have this game compatible with all ports and consoles, which is crazy

no i don’t think thats the problem, although I don’t enjoy as much fully 3D adventures due to the ridiculous amount of pixel hunting required.
The problems are all over the place. for example:

-ZERO explanation of how Kate is found dying in the snow.
-ZERO reason for the enemies chasing you. Except if they are the worst caricatures of Nazis ever. I cringed everytime they appeared, it is almost a comedy. Their henchment on the other hand, remind me of bots from Counterstrike (the original!)
-ZERO connection with the previous games, not even a 2min video recap.
-ZERO real reason to go into this journey. In the past u had some reason at least, a journey to find mammoths and a legendary land. here, you are the shepherd taking the snowostriches around…
-Worst cliffhanger ending I’ve seen in an adventure, for absolutely NO reason.
-Crashes/glitches/bugs.
-Single save system.
-Movement and targeting is all over the place (improved after 2 patches but still…)
-I never ever cared about lip synching in games. This was the first time that I noticed such a result. Some characters remind me of Zoltar, the fortune telling machine from Big!!!
[spoiler][/spoiler]
-I know Russians tend to speak to each other using the full name but listening to someone repeat the tittle, surname and name every few seconds is definitely not the way people talk in Russia. I got Russian friends and they saw it and assured me on it!
-Kate is somewhere between the mother/kinder garden teacher and the slave of the Youkols. Miss KateWoker, scrach my nose. Ms KateWokter, wipe my butt. Seriously, a lot of the things that “ONLY” Kate can do for them are ridiculous, if they were that helpless they would have been wiped out millenia ago.
-Game is clearly in a beta state.

On the positives I’d put some (some, not all as some people above clearly mentioned) good puzzles and an incredible OST, the music is simply dreamy. Voice acting is very good in French (definitely recommend it) and acceptable in English (with some quite good performances like the one from Captain Obo, and some quite bad like all of the villains).

the game has too many faults to be fixed with patches. but i would definitely wait a few months to get it to a stable level at least.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top