• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

apignarb

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Bill Tillers Scumm Bar

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

Drool… I’m not religious, but Bill Tiller is a god in my eyes. Aargh… the things I’d do to see more games looking like this… Imagine if this was the artstyle used in Escape or Tales…

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

I like how each MI game has its own different style. The problem with Tiller is that, great as he is, anything he does in his distinctive style would feel like a spin-off of Curse rather than a separate game.

Which is why I’d like to see him work on a completely different game or series. I can’t think what, however - there’s nothing quite as eccentric yet poignant as Monkey Island. Maybe Discworld?

Total Posts: 974

Joined 2007-02-23

PM

Curse was the epitome of the MI series. Bill Tiller is indeed a god.

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

To me, a Vampyre Story, and even Ghost Pirates of Vooju Island (which as I understand was SUPPOSED to mimic the style and atmosphere of Curse) felt like individual games, and not like Curse spin-offs. Maybe they would have been closer to it, if not for the inappropriate 3D characters. Even so, Curse spin-offs are very welcome in my book, as long as they’re well done Smile Not that I really can think of any existing game that fits that Bill (none more than Ghost Pirates anyway). I somewhat doubt there is a Curse of MI lookalike out there that I haven’t heard of, but any suggestions to such a game would be most welcome Smile

Zifnab - 24 November 2012 12:52 PM

Which is why I’d like to see him work on a completely different game or series. I can’t think what, however - there’s nothing quite as eccentric yet poignant as Monkey Island. Maybe Discworld?

Bill Tiller as the lead artist on a new Discworld game, now that’s a thought that made the adventuregamer/artist in me go hard Grin I’m not the richest guy around, but I’d happily donate my kidneys to Kickstarter for that! I’ve read most of Terry Pratchetts books, and Discworld 2 is a game I’m pretty sure would make it to my personal top 10 adventure list.

***Drooling while imagining a collaboration between Bill Tiller, Terry Pratchett and Eric Idle***

Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

While on the subject of Bill Tillers art, if you are more than moderately interested in background artwork, or drawing and painting in general, check out this old section over at Adventure Developers called “Tiller Techniques”, where Bill shares some of his vast insight about compositioning and more:

http://www.adventuredevelopers.com/regularfeatures.php?action=view&id=1

Note how everything he talks about is reflected in the image on the top of the thread.

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

Dag - 25 November 2012 11:35 AM

To me a Vampyre Story, and even Ghost Pirates of Vooju Island (which as I understand was SUPPOSED to mimic the style and atmosphere of Curse) felt like individual games, and not like Curse spin-offs.

Were those by Bill? I had no idea, and I’ve played Vooju! I wasn’t that impressed by it, unfortunately, but the graphics were very nice.

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

Yeah, both are by Bill Tiller, and a number of former Lucasarts employees.

Total Posts: 16

Joined 2012-11-28

PM

Thanks for the compliments. I do have a distinct style, but I try to change it depending on which game I do. Take a look at Snuggle Truck and Jack Lumber and Bounty Bots on the iPhone App Store. They look similar to what I do but I hope they are distinctive. I can also do realistic stuff to. Ever see my Full Throttle Payback Art and my Bounty Hunter art? I think it inspired the planet Hutta cantina in TOR.

Image Attachments

bh_image1_lg.jpg

Click thumbnail to see full-size image

Joined 2012-11-28

PM

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/bounty-bots/id463888630?mt=8

http://jacklumbergame.com/

http://snuggletruck.com/

here are some links.

Image Attachments

bh_image2_lg.jpgGHOST5.jpg

Joined 2012-11-28

PM

And if any company wanted to work with me I am a full time freelance artist now, no longer Munky Fun Studio Art Director, so if anyone wants to hire me they just need to contact me .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

Image Attachments

Orbital_Tug4.jpg

Total Posts: 974

Joined 2007-02-23

PM

Wow, Bill Tiller himself on the forums!

I don’t know if this is a problem for me, but your e-mail address sadly doesn’t show up, giving me the message: (JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

Perhaps try writing it without the @? Smile

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

Wow indeed, I can’t help but feel a bit starstruck Tongue Thank you so much for your replies Mr. Tiller!

That was some truly impressive art you posted, each in its individual look, yet you can see the connection. I love the odd shapes and angles, the choices of colour, not to mention the lighting. I particularly liked the graveyard painting, its gonna be my screensaver for a while Smile

Kasper F. Nielsen - 29 November 2012 01:35 AM

I don’t know if this is a problem for me, but your e-mail address sadly doesn’t show up, giving me the message: (JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

I get the same thing.

I was wondering, obviously the “Tiller Techniques” section is no longer active, but is there any chance that one could still somehow send you some of their artwork in exchange for some feedback? I’m only asking, I don’t mean to nag or anything. If you don’t have the time or interest for this kind of thing these days, I completely respect that Smile

I’d been drawing and painting for all my life up untill the point where I joined artschool. The teacher kept forcing everyone to copy her personal style (which was the type where you camouflage your lack of talent in abstract shapes and random splatters), rather than teaching the tools and techniques to help everyone develop their own style. She would “punish” those who didn’t follow here abstract ways by giving the lowest possible grade to anyone who allowed any personal creativity into their work, regardless of the quality it presented (I’m not joking, I know it sounds crazy (and it is!) but the rule seemed to be, the more talented the artist, the more impressive their work, the lower a grade he/she would get). After 3 years of these repressive, inhibiting teaching methods, I’d (and most of my class with me) completely lost the interest for anything even related to art, and personally, I (almost) didn’t touch a pencil or a brush for 15 years…

...Untill a few months ago, when I started taking a closer look at your artwork. I found your advice and teachings in Tiller Techniques to be extremely inspiring (why did we never learn anything like that at artschool?), and I can’t think of anything that could possibly be more motivating than having Bill Tiller himself comment on your work. If something like that is still doable, I would not be able to express my gratitude.

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Thanx for dropping in, Bill! Tongue There’s a quiz I made when I discovered beautiful art for Payback. Such a shame it was cancelled.

I’ll use the opportunity and ask when we can expect A Vampyre Story Kickstarter? Is it going to be an episodic or full-fledged A Vampyre Story 2?

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

For those who get the (JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) message: I’m not posting it publicly without Bill’s permission, but shoot me a PM, and I’ll gladly give the address in PM.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 98

Joined 2004-02-16

PM

TimovieMan - 29 November 2012 12:37 PM

For those who get the (JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) message: I’m not posting it publicly without Bill’s permission, but shoot me a PM, and I’ll gladly give the address in PM.

If you quote Bill’s message you can also see the email address & copy paste it into a mail client.  Smile

Madre de Dios, es el Pollo Diablo!

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

PolloDiablo - 29 November 2012 01:32 PM

If you quote Bill’s message you can also see the email address & copy paste it into a mail client.  Smile

LOL!

I started by abusing my mod powers and edited his post to see the mail address.
Police brutality / stupidity? Tongue

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top