• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Mystery Game X - Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers, 20th Anniversary Edition

Total Posts: 506

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

Venkman - 08 April 2014 12:53 PM

My main reason for saying this is Telltale’s Back to the Future. Say what you will about the game as a whole, but Marty’s voice acting is very good. And that was just a random dude on the internet who it turned out could do a perfect Michael J. Fox impression, which is exactly what the game needed.

Back to the Future is the perfect comparison for this situation, IMO. A 40-something Michael J. Fox (with Parkinson’s) simply wouldn’t have sounded like Marty McFly did in 1985, but A.J. Locascio totally nailed it. The “sound-alike” actor in Wallace & Gromit was also really good.

Total Posts: 523

Joined 2010-02-08

PM

Sound-alikes, or at least sound-similars, aren’t new to the GK franchise either. I would imagine that one of the factors in the casting of Charity James and David Thomas as Grace and Mosely in GK3 was their ability to provide fairly similar voices to those of Leah Remini and Mark Hamill in GK1. Charity James is actually my favorite actress for Grace and I’d be happy if she and David Thomas were used again in the GK1 remake, though I won’t be surprised if there are brand new actors for both Grace and Mosely.

My guess is that the main trio (Gabriel, Grace, Mosely) will all sound roughly comparable to their GK1 and/or GK3 counterparts. The supporting voices, on the other hand, probably will not all be sound-alikes and will deviate more. I’m a theater fan and therefore somewhat accustomed to hearing different actors perform the same role, so this is OK with me. I do think supporting voices will be the real test of the GK1 remake’s cast, since as I’ve mentioned before, that was an area where GK1’s original cast excelled. But with Jane and Bay Area Sound on the job, I remain optimistic.

zane - 07 April 2014 05:47 PM

Now that the names out there i think it would probably be a good idea for them to give us a sample… Smile

I hesitate a bit to bring this up since I don’t want to encourage a lot of nitpicking before we have more information to go on, but…

I suspect we have already heard a snippet of Jason Victor’s impression of Tim Curry-as-Gabe in this video that came out a couple years ago in the days leading up to the announcement of the Pinkerton Road Kickstarter. The voice at the beginning is Tim Curry’s authentic voice from GK3, but for the newly written lines at 0:22 it switches to an impersonator (source) who was alleged at the time to be Jason Victor (source).

It’s important to bear in mind that this is just one sample, made for a slightly different purpose that required continuity with the snippet used of Tim Curry’s GK3 performance, so I don’t know if it’s representative or not of Mr. Victor’s in-game performance for the GK1 remake.

With those caveats out of the way, my feelings about the snippet are actually quite positive. When Jason Victor (assuming it’s indeed him) says “Find Pinkerton Road? What does it mean?”, I do find it to be the tiniest bit affected and evident that it’s just an impression—even granted that Tim Curry’s GK3 performance was already affected. However, Victor’s delivery of “Guess I’m going to have to find out” is impeccable, closer in some ways to Tim Curry’s GK1 performance than Tim Curry himself sometimes was in GK3. This suggests Victor will be able to do justice to that most iconic of all Gabriel Knight lines: “What can you tell me about… voodoo?” Cool

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

Caliburn - 08 April 2014 04:35 PM

I suspect we have already heard a snippet of Jason Victor’s impression of Tim Curry-as-Gabe in this video that came out a couple years ago in the days leading up to the announcement of the Pinkerton Road Kickstarter. The voice at the beginning is Tim Curry’s authentic voice from GK3, but for the newly written lines at 0:22 it switches to an impersonator (source) who was alleged at the time to be Jason Victor (source).

Nice catch. Yeah im not exactly sure what to think about that. I think it sounds good… and its the same style as the original but doesnt sound that same-y.
And now they reallly need to give us some actual samples Wink

Total Posts: 1235

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

Yep, that’s pretty much what he sounds like.

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Can’t beat the Cuckoo Clocks!

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 880

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

zane - 08 April 2014 04:58 PM

Nice catch. Yeah im not exactly sure what to think about that. I think it sounds good… and its the same style as the original but doesnt sound that same-y.
And now they reallly need to give us some actual samples Wink

Well, judging by the fact it was done two years ago, I’d think the VA had more time to improve his technique. Wink

Stuart Bradley Newsom - Naughty Shinobi || Our Game: Shadow Over Isolation

Total Posts: 229

Joined 2006-03-25

PM

Caliburn - 04 April 2014 02:49 PM

IGN video interview with Jane Jensen - This has some extra footage of GK1 20th Anniversary that wasn’t shown in the GDC trailer.

I’ll definitely root for the game now, if GK4 is so directly on the line.

The shots it revealed looked really cheap, but hopefully a GK4 would have a bigger budget.

Total Posts: 131

Joined 2014-04-11

PM

The shots it revealed looked really cheap, but hopefully a GK4 would have a bigger budget.

How well did each Monkey Island remake do?  How likely is it that this Gabriel Knight retread will sell more than Monkey Island SE?

I expected better quality from ActiVision, but maybe they only allowed a tiny budget for this game.

From here on… no more remakes, please!!

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

OrionO - 12 April 2014 12:39 AM

How well did each Monkey Island remake do?  How likely is it that this Gabriel Knight retread will sell more than Monkey Island SE?

I expected better quality from ActiVision, but maybe they only allowed a tiny budget for this game.

Nah, I like remakes.

Total Posts: 188

Joined 2004-03-18

PM

I don’t know exactly how well the MI remakes did, but I seriously doubt this would do better. Monkey Island and Tim Schafer built up a great reputation in nerd culture over the last 20 years. Nerds don’t care about Sierra, they’ve basically retconned history and the narrative is now that Lucasarts was king while Sierra was an also-ran who made pathetic unfair games. (I’d bet dollars to doughnuts that if you put a poll on a site such as Kotaku “which adventure game company was more financially successful during the ‘80s-‘90s?”, Lucasarts would beat Sierra in the poll. History was rewritten.) Nobody cares about a remade Sierra game, unfortunately.

Monolith - 12 April 2014 01:41 AM

Nah, I like remakes.

A remake of an old game in full 3D sure, but turning authentic old-school 2D graphics into mediocre modern-day 2D graphics is an asinine practice.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Nerds don’t care about Sierra, they’ve basically retconned history and the narrative is now that Lucasarts was king while Sierra was an also-ran who made pathetic unfair games. (I’d bet dollars to doughnuts that if you put a poll on a site such as Kotaku “which adventure game company was more financially successful during the ‘80s-‘90s?”, Lucasarts would beat Sierra in the poll. History was rewritten.) Nobody cares about a remade Sierra game, unfortunately.

Interesting ,so you mean that history was rewritten wrongly ?

Sad bad true . Only who lived the 80’s and early 90’s to the bone would know that Sierra had Toppled Lucasarts in every possible way ,but then history is always written for the fools !

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

Venkman - 16 April 2014 01:23 PM

I don’t know exactly how well the MI remakes did, but I seriously doubt this would do better. Monkey Island and Tim Schafer built up a great reputation in nerd culture over the last 20 years. Nerds don’t care about Sierra, they’ve basically retconned history and the narrative is now that Lucasarts was king while Sierra was an also-ran who made pathetic unfair games. (I’d bet dollars to doughnuts that if you put a poll on a site such as Kotaku “which adventure game company was more financially successful during the ‘80s-‘90s?”, Lucasarts would beat Sierra in the poll. History was rewritten.) Nobody cares about a remade Sierra game, unfortunately.

Monolith - 12 April 2014 01:41 AM

Nah, I like remakes.

A remake of an old game in full 3D sure, but turning authentic old-school 2D graphics into mediocre modern-day 2D graphics is an asinine practice.

Shit == Shit. When someone likes something, doesn’t mean they are digging at the bottom of the barrel. You’re right though, look at the new Gold Rush remake. There are a lot of great remakes, the only problems is the fact not everyone will agree with your changes…doesn’t mean its any less great.

Total Posts: 131

Joined 2014-04-11

PM

That’s also where I’m at. I have remake fatigue, unless the game is totally amazing or done in a whole new way, like in full 3D or something. How much would it cost to do something in full 3D vs 2D?

I want to get excited for this GK remake, but I just can’t.

Regarding LucasArts vs. Sierra, there’s no question that LucasArts has more “cool” cred, especially among people who write about gaming culture. But millions of copies of Sierra’s “quest” games were sold, and those people kept coming back for more. So I think it would be a mistake to discount how many people recall Sierra fondly. I still enjoy replaying the original Sierra games, especially those with text parser, more than I do the old LucasArts games, which I also love.

I doubt there’s much of an appetite for adventure remakes of any kind, though.

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

Do you really think the motive here is artistic? People will like it and buy it because it’s modern, and that’s all that matters. It’s absurd and incomprehensible but that’s how it is. Better get used to it because no doubt we’ll soon be updating the Mona Lisa and Taj Mahal because they look too old and outdated. And rightly so - newer is always better, right? I’m personally looking forward to Beethoven’s 5th - Lil’ Wayne remix coming out next week, it’s gonna be killer.

Total Posts: 1082

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

Zifnab - 17 April 2014 02:16 AM

Do you really think the motive here is artistic? People will like it and buy it because it’s modern, and that’s all that matters. It’s absurd and incomprehensible but that’s how it is. Better get used to it because no doubt we’ll soon be updating the Mona Lisa and Taj Mahal because they look too old and outdated. And rightly so - newer is always better, right?

I think you quite confused between what is a remake and what a restoration is.

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top