• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Mystery Game X - Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers, 20th Anniversary Edition

Total Posts: 974

Joined 2007-02-23

PM

If I had information I could be bribed to tell. Sadly I don’t have any information…

Total Posts: 358

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Just saw this very interesting comment by Pinkerton forum regular “Mostly,” who makes the case that MGX is “GK1 reimagined” and that it is being developed by Signus Labs. “Mostly” backs up the theory with some evidence. Thought you guys might be interested to see this.

http://forum.pinkertonroad.com/showthread.php?149-When-can-we-expect-the-official-Announcement&p=24983&viewfull=1#post24983

Could, as “Mostly” theorizes, POS have been intended to be the original GK1 “reimagined” developer until they switched places with Signus to work on Moebius instead?

Could Activision be holding back on releasing GK1/MGX to see how well POS’ Moebius does?

Total Posts: 1235

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

Cat’s out of the bag now… Smile

Total Posts: 179

Joined 2004-01-25

PM

Well, we have wondered in this very thread whether Mystery Game X is a remastered Gabriel Knight. However, I think that to suggest they are waiting on the success of Moebius before releasing is completely implausible.

The two are so far unrelated, that the only handful of people that would purchase one based on the other are obscure adventure game fans that would have purchased the two of them anyway. I think it highly unlikely that Moebius’s success either way would impact sales of a GK Remastered, and I think it even less likely that that would be an influencing factor in the publishers decision making.

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

Well, presumably Activision has already paid the studio to make the game, especially if the first episode is already finished.  I’m not sure what they’d be waiting to test, exactly.

Total Posts: 1894

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

Toefur - 21 April 2013 11:30 AM

Well, we have wondered in this very thread whether Mystery Game X is a remastered Gabriel Knight. However, I think that to suggest they are waiting on the success of Moebius before releasing is completely implausible.

The two are so far unrelated, that the only handful of people that would purchase one based on the other are obscure adventure game fans that would have purchased the two of them anyway. I think it highly unlikely that Moebius’s success either way would impact sales of a GK Remastered, and I think it even less likely that that would be an influencing factor in the publishers decision making.

This completely. I doubt the publisher is thinking about moebius at all (and may need a reminder it exists).
And honestly, at this point, i think the signus theory is ridiculous.

Total Posts: 347

Joined 2006-07-30

PM

I’ve said it before, but I’ll say again that if MGX now turns out to not be GK-related, there is going to be such a backlash against the game.  Which would be totally ridiculous.  But I feel bad for Jensen because these constant delays have created this atmosphere of frenzied speculation.  Under these circumstances, almost any game will disappoint.  It’s like Gray Matter squared.

Unfortunately, if nothing had ever been said and MGX came out in October 2013, everyone would be very happy.  But because it was supposed to be released in January and there are these constant teases, probably no one will be happy.  Which, again, sucks, but it’s human nature and unavoidable.

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Ok, now I don’t mean this to be mean, and I’m just sharing it because it’s the first thing that came to mind when I heard the theory about Signus Labs and POS switching places, but is it possible that Activision took one look at POS’ work on either TSL or an early GK1 remastered proto and said, “oh, hell no, we’re not going with this developer”? Maybe they weren’t satisfied with the quality of POS’ work? I mean, based on POS’ work, one might view them as, in some ways, a very, very poor man’s Telltale. Look, I’m just being honest here, and I do credit POS for the great improvement they’ve shown over the last few years.  But why would Activision sit on the classic Sierra adventure game IP for so long only to eventually agree to let POS, a developer with barely one commercial game under their belt, reboot the GK franchise? Is it possible that Activision is responsible for instigating the developer switch?  Maybe Jane felt bad for POS, with whom she already had a close working relationship, and gave them Moebius? Regardless, I think POS owes Jane a big thank you for all the faith she has apparently placed in them. But how will Jane’s faith in, and relationship with, POS affect the potential for gamers/Pinkerton backers to get the best Moebius possible? I guess we shall see.

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

Quest1 - 21 April 2013 11:06 PM

Maybe Jane felt bad for POS, with whom she already had a close working relationship, and gave them Moebius?

i dont want to be mean… but all of this is nonsense.
And at the center of it, is this bizarre assumption that signus is more experienced and would be approached by activision to make more than a spongebob mini-game. Go ahead and try to make a list of the games signus has developed. Have fun.

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

And about POS being the poor-man’s Telltale…I’m not so sure.  POS may not quite have the production values or workflow that Telltale has (yet), but they DO have a much greater respect for the type of adventure games you’ve said you like, Quest1.  That is, the classic stuff with actual puzzles and challenge.  They just need to polish up their writing and smooth out some of the rougher edges of their production values, and they’ll be pretty good, I think.  I agree that TSL was a shit-sandwich, writing-wise.  And Cognition has certainly left a few things to be desired on that front, so far, too.  But even Cognition is noticeably better than TSL—you can certainly see the improvement in the studio’s overall output.  I wouldn’t sell them short just because they took a dump all over King’s Quest while they were still a pro bono fan group.  I really do think they’re one to watch, and I’m excited to see how they will continue to develop in the future.

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

zane - 21 April 2013 11:56 PM
Quest1 - 21 April 2013 11:06 PM

Maybe Jane felt bad for POS, with whom she already had a close working relationship, and gave them Moebius?

i dont want to be mean… but all of this is nonsense.
And at the center of it, is this bizarre assumption that signus is more experienced and would be approached by activision to make more than a spongebob mini-game. Go ahead and try to make a list of the games signus has developed. Have fun.

But isn’t it undeniable that Signus Labs has more experience as a commercial game developer? Activision would want to come to an agreement with Jane over the developer, and surely Jane would have recommended Signus very highly. Jane was confident Signus could develop a new adventure game when she introduced them to us during the Kickstarter campaign.

I have a feeling that Signus Labs is going to try to do for Gabriel Knight 1 what N Fusion is helping do for Larry 1 Reloaded. Maybe neither had been known as an adventure game developer before, but they now (possibly) both have this big opportunity to shine, so let’s hope they succeed brilliantly (assuming Signus is doing GK1).

As for the notion that POS could have been seen as a very, very poor man’s Telltale, I was speaking more about the technical aspects and 3D art, etc., not the writing, which I assume had already all been done. I also wish them the best and think they have great potential.

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

Quest1 - 22 April 2013 01:13 AM

But isn’t it undeniable that Signus Labs has more experience as a commercial game developer?

yes it is completely deniable. Games where they are credited as being the developer: lola & lucy (the picture book for pinkerton), and a paula deen word game about food. Anything else iv found is a case of them supplying background art to, and they are not credited as the developer. From what iv gathered, they do very little developing. Companies outsource artwork for backgrounds from them.

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

zane - 22 April 2013 01:38 AM
Quest1 - 22 April 2013 01:13 AM

But isn’t it undeniable that Signus Labs has more experience as a commercial game developer?

yes it is completely deniable. Games where they are credited as being the developer: lola & lucy (the picture book for pinkerton), and a paula deen word game about food. Anything else iv found is a case of them supplying background art to, and they are not credited as the developer.

Well, that’s 2 games to POS’s 1.

Hopefully they can provide the polish that Gabriel Knight deserves, if that’s the game they’re doing. I think the game is going to be great.

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

Quest1 - 22 April 2013 01:49 AM

Well, that’s 2 games to POS’ 1. 

youre going to compare a full adventure game, with 2 casual apps that hardly have any animations?
But im not worried, its definitely not signus.

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

The only way I’d be worried is if it was POS doing Gabriel Knight. Whether it is the talented Signus Labs or another team chosen by Jensen and Activision, I’m sure the new Mystery Game X (Gabriel Knight?) will be worth the wait.

I hope MSX doesn’t have the same kind of 3D character art we saw in the Moebius preview. I hope the MSX team goes in a totally different direction in that regard. Hey, maybe it will be the first adventure game in a long time with almost no animation. That would be a very daring choice. Hehe, jk.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top