• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

chrissie

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Apocalipsis: Harry at the End of the World Playthrough

Total Posts: 343

Joined 2012-03-13

PM

I finished the game and got both endings. The bad ending first and then I picked up the flower I missed and got the good one. Tim, when you get all the flowers it shows “steam achievement: absinthium” on the screen. The change in the game starts when you mix the concoction. You will know.

This section was odd. I was a bit confused by some of the puzzles and feel I solved them because of a puzzle-solving instinct developed over many games rather than understanding exactly what was going on with that particular puzzle.

Overall i enjoyed the game and am glad I played it. Still confused about the peasant girl though and hope she got where she wanted to be. I think I like the bad ending better.

Total Posts: 5051

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I know I got all the flowers because I got the achievement message you mentioned.

Maybe I need to use the map to go back and find a way to use the flowers.

I know what you mean about the puzzles. One was the pipe puzzle. I’ve seen variations of it in many of the casual games I’ve played. Although this one, like all the puzzles, had no instructions. A quick inspection tells you that it is impossible to use all the pipe pieces, so you solve it only using the ones that are necessary. On the surface, the hourglass puzzle looks difficult. Except, you only get the hand icon on one of the hourglasses on the right-hand side. So, perforce, it has to be the one.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I did get the “good” ending on the second pass.

Although, much to my dismay, I had to replay everything from the peasant girl in the coffin scene onward. I know I solved it the first time, and took notes, but still!

I’m more than a little conflicted as to which was the best ending. Or, perhaps it is better to ask which is the more deserved ending?

Zuma did leave Harry to chase her shooting star. So was she really deserving of Harry’s devotion? Harry did kill at least one person in the dungeon, and maybe more along the way. So is he really deserving of eternal happiness? And what of Zuma? She appears to have been resurrected by Harry’s mere presence. She seems to be alive at the end regardless of which fate befalls Harry.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2012-03-13

PM

I had the sense that Zuma, while possibly alive, was unable to leave the underworld without Harry. Whether it was just Harry or if anyone with the flowers would do I don’t know.

I do have one quibble with the design of the game. There is nothing to indicate that there is more than one ending possible or even that the flowers were necessary. I had thought I remembered something in the beginning about Zuma being accused of witchcraft and needing Harry to get something for her but I didn’t see it when I replayed the beginning.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

furgotten - 20 April 2018 03:03 PM

I do have one quibble with the design of the game. There is nothing to indicate that there is more than one ending possible or even that the flowers were necessary. I had thought I remembered something in the beginning about Zuma being accused of witchcraft and needing Harry to get something for her but I didn’t see it when I replayed the beginning.

I got the information from three sources. One was from a Wiki article I read about the game while we were still trying to round up people for a playthrough. Another was Sabacc’s information when he joined the playthrough as the only person who had played it before. And I’m pretty sure the game’s review here on AG said something about it both two endings and the flowers.

But I agree with your quibble. If the information wasn’t available externally, there is no way we would have known about something that was so integral to the game.

But, to be fair, the flowers had hot spots, so being true adventurers we should have picked them up anyway…even if we didn’t know what they would be used for.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 655

Joined 2017-04-14

PM

I got the bad ending…I think.  I’ll go back and make sure I’ve got all the flowers tomorrow.  I don’t want to catch up too much on the thread until I’ve completed the good ending.

A very involved game, much more than I was expecting.  I’ll defo be playing through this one again at some point. Smile 

I agree it’s odd they don’t make a bigger deal of the two endings.  I like to know as little as possible about a game I’m playing so I would never have known had it not been for our playthrough. 

Total Posts: 51

Joined 2012-12-29

PM

I think the closest the game gets to letting you know there are two endings is through the Steam achievements as there’s one achievement for both the bad and good ending or “The End?” and “True Ending” as the Steam achievements are called.  Although those still aren’t exactly inside the game itself.

The first time I played the game I got all the flowers and did the good ending and didn’t even realize there was a bad ending at first.

The bad ending is a bit more ambiguous than the good ending I think.  Given that Harry ends up in the pentagram of the witches hut in the bad ending I was wondering if from the point that he invokes the spell there, whether it’s his spiritual essence going on the rest of the journey and his body ends up there with his spirit trapped in the underworld if he fails to save his beloved.

All in all, I quite enjoyed the atmosphere of this game.  Nothing immediately comes to mind that’s quite like it.

Check out my adventure game series Sleuthhounds!

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

We still have a number of people who have yet to finish. So I want to wait to hear their perspectives before we draw any final conclusion. But that doesn’t mean we can’t discuss the game while waiting for C and D to finish. For Dumbeur that only means replaying to get the “Good/True” ending.

First, I suggested playing this mini-playthrough because it interested me, and it was short. I thought we could zip through this in about eight days, and we’re not far off.

At first glance of the AG review, I though this would be something akin to playing a casual game, except with no hidden object scenes. For me, it turned out to be far different. There is only one casual game that I can compare this to, Echoes of Sorrow. And by that I mean that both had a “darkness” about them. There is very little about either game that I would consider uplifting. Yet both are intriguing.

On the casual game spectrum I would definitely compare this to Emerald City Confidential. Not a really casual game, but also not a full-fledged adventure either.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2012-03-13

PM

Sabacc - 20 April 2018 09:19 PM

The bad ending is a bit more ambiguous than the good ending I think.  Given that Harry ends up in the pentagram of the witches hut in the bad ending I was wondering if from the point that he invokes the spell there, whether it’s his spiritual essence going on the rest of the journey and his body ends up there with his spirit trapped in the underworld if he fails to save his beloved.

Or maybe Harry had a hallucinatory nightmare after drinking too much absinthe.

Total Posts: 655

Joined 2017-04-14

PM

Oh, apparently I did get the good ending, it was just a little ambiguous for me. Grin

I’ll post my thoughts later.

Total Posts: 419

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

Regarding the boat/“death” puzzle: Did anybody get the pattern to know which two symbols you were suppose to place where?

If anyone’s curious, the song you play on the organ is this oneWink

NP: A Link Between Worlds, Beneath a Steel Sky and Vampyr

Total Posts: 5837

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I did finish the game but I got the bad ending despite picking up all of the flowers - the only one I thought I could possibly have missed is the one in the pentagram part but when I went back I couldn’t find it so I guessed I had it already. ( I’ve had this problem with Steam before when things don’t show up as they should)
Never mind, despite that I very much enjoyed all of the puzzling! I worked out the clock puzzle + teeth but completely failed after that - I couldn’t get my head around the ‘back-to front’ music puzzle as I got that completely wrong!

Towards the end after using all of the ‘wrong ingredients’ I came to a ‘deadend?’ so had to go back to a previous save to redo things in a different order.

I watched the good ending on YT.

My thought remains with the helpful lady that aided the protagonist but you don’t get to see her fate.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

chrissie - 21 April 2018 04:05 PM

I did finish the game but I got the bad ending despite picking up all of the flowers - the only one I thought I could possibly have missed is the one in the pentagram part but when I went back I couldn’t find it so I guessed I had it already. ( I’ve had this problem with Steam before when things don’t show up as they should)
Never mind, despite that I very much enjoyed all of the puzzling! I worked out the clock puzzle + teeth but completely failed after that - I couldn’t get my head around the ‘back-to front’ music puzzle as I got that completely wrong!

Towards the end after using all of the ‘wrong ingredients’ I came to a ‘deadend?’ so had to go back to a previous save to redo things in a different order.

Re: the flowers, the same thing happened to me. Here’s what I was able to figure out on my second pass. You go into that alcove on the left side behind the altar and grab some flora. Not all of it will be used even though it is inventory. When you add the flora to the pile on the altar, you will get a very brief glimpse of the flower, and it will be added to your inventory. It happens so fast that you may not have noticed it. I didn’t. At this point you may need to scroll through the inventory to find the flower as it might be hidden on the right hand side. Then you can add it to the pile and you get the good ending.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I think we all have finished the playthrough. I want to thank everybody for joining the small group. A special shout-out to Sabacc for lending his expertise.

Despite there being a few areas that I found frustrating, (swimming in the ocean while dodging flotsam being one,) I had a lot of fun. We can discuss for as long as anyone wants to. I guess it will officially end when the thread scrolls off the front page.

Thanks,

Tim

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 5837

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

rtrooney - 21 April 2018 04:32 PM

Re: the flowers, the same thing happened to me. Here’s what I was able to figure out on my second pass. You go into that alcove on the left side behind the altar and grab some flora. Not all of it will be used even though it is inventory. When you add the flora to the pile on the altar, you will get a very brief glimpse of the flower, and it will be added to your inventory. It happens so fast that you may not have noticed it. I didn’t. At this point you may need to scroll through the inventory to find the flower as it might be hidden on the right hand side. Then you can add it to the pile and you get the good ending.

Thanks Tim, I will get around to having another go!

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top