• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

grizzlypantsNico2021

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

My album of adventure game box autographs.

Total Posts: 37

Joined 2006-01-10

PM

http://imgur.com/a/qWLWD

I grew up on Infocom text adventures. I remember getting new games for Christmas. Opening up those cool boxes and checking out all the goodies inside. Firing up Zork on my Apple II and drawing maps on graph paper. My love for adventure games continued through Sierra, LucasArts, and into the CD-ROM age of Myst and 7th Guest. I played them all. Nearly every.single.one.

I kept many of the boxes and as I grew older and nerdier, I wanted to immerse myself in the nostalgia, firing up many of these games again on DOSBox or their remastered counterparts. And doing so, I had the idea of getting my boxes signed by the designers of the game or perhaps someone who worked on it. So my adventure game autograph project began.

I messaged designers through facebook or email or anywhere else I could find their contact info. I was polite, I promise, and offered to pay all shipping costs and even supply then pen. These designers were incredibly gracious and nice to me, I really appreciate every interaction I had. I linked to the album my collection, which include King’s Quest signed by Roberta Williams, Grim Fandango by Tim Schafer, Monkey Island by Ron Gilbert, Zork by Dave Lebling, Hitchhiker’s Guide by Steve Meretzky, Myst by Robyn Miller, Gabriel Knight II by Jane Jensen, and many many more. I actually ended up shipping some boxes to France, England, and even Australia (for Discworld II!). I think there’s 61 in all! And of course it was the classic BIG BOXES. Loved the art work. Ah those days of going into Babbage’s to find the new adventure game release.

This was several years back, around 2007-2009, but I can’t thank the designers enough for signing my game boxes and making me fall in love with games. If any happen to read this post and can recall my inquiries 6 or so years ago, thanks Smile 

Now I’m passing on my love for gaming stories and design onto my daughter, even showing her the text adventures where it all began. When she was younger we played through King’s Quest and Legend of Kyrandia. It was awesome watching her solve puzzles on her own. It’s always time to stock up on graph paper!

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Man, that’s impressive! Love your post. Love the sigs. Smile Already have favorites.

PS: Hey, if you loved the old Infocom days, you should watch the great Get Lamp docu by Jason Scott, if you haven’t already.

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Joined 2006-01-10

PM

Haha, thanks. Yes, it was months of dedication and trips to the post office but obviously i’m just grateful for all those designers that took the time and effort to do it.

I’ve been in nostalgia mode again lately, shoving all my library onto a laptop in a DOSBox front end. Fired up 11th Hour, don’t think I ever finished it back then. And I see why. Need a MENSA level genius degree to complete these puzzles. Those “object” riddles, what the heck. I dunno how anyone completed this game with no hints or walkthrough. If there’s anyone here that did, I bow down Smile

And thanks for the doc recommendation, will check it out!

Total Posts: 813

Joined 2004-08-01

PM

Cryptic crosswords aren’t about being a genius, they’re about being familiar with the particular conventions of the genre, as well as being a native speaker.

Total Posts: 442

Joined 2006-06-14

PM

That’s fantastic!

The Buried in Time box brought back memories.  I bought the game when it first came out and inside was a postcard that you received if you were one of the first hundred to buy it.  I sent it in and received the first disk of the game signed in white ink by all the developers.  It was thrilling and I still have it.

I was able to finish 11th Hour without much trouble as I recall, although I didn’t like the game very much, I can’t remember why - that annoying Stauff voiceover, I suppose.

Edit:  Ah, nostalgia.  I just remembered that the lidded box - I was an early adopter in those days - came with beautifully die-cast cutout cardboard sleeves for each disk which were tied with raffia.  In those days game packaging could be quite spedcial.  I’m glad I kept all my boxes and am sorry that they’re a thing of the past.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Holy crap, that’s an impressive collection of autographs! Cool

Probably cost a fortune in shipping costs as well… Gasp

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2006-01-10

PM

Haha it did cost a small fortune. But it was worth it. Had a lot of fun. Only had one meh experience with a designer. But really they all went out of their way to help me and ship all of them back, even if I paid for it and supplied everything, they did effort too and I thank them all.

Total Posts: 5601

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

What a terrific collection, Phod!  Some of those comments are priceless!

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Total Posts: 681

Joined 2015-02-06

PM

Most impressive Phod!!! How I miss the big box days and all the wonderful goodies!

This message will self destruct in 3… 2… 1… BOOM!!!

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

This is beyond awesome. What a wonderful collection Phod. Who signed the copy of System Shock 2 for you?

Joined 2006-01-10

PM

Thanks!

Eric Brosius, who did the music, signed it for me. And his wife Terri, who is the voice of SHODAN. I loved the music which is why I contacted him.

I tried to contact Ken Levine but could never hear back. He finally did like months later but I never followed up.

Total Posts: 31

Joined 2007-04-03

PM

Wow! That’s an amazing collection! So many classics in there. Seeing that box for the original (mid-1980s) Bard’s Tale really brings back memories. Looks like you had the Atari version. I had the C64 version.  Smile

Thanks for sharing!

Mike Morrison // Digital Media Workshop // Prominence developer

Total Posts: 495

Joined 2008-07-23

PM

Phod you are the coolest kid on the block now, I want to come to your birthday ! Awesome collection man Thumbs Up

Total Posts: 601

Joined 2014-11-29

PM

Madonn’! Especially jealous of the Schafer, Ahern and Gilbert ones, great stuff!

Total Posts: 990

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

Wow, that gallery just keeps going doesn’t it! Amazing dedication - I hope you have a large enough display case to share it!

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top