• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

LittleRose

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Gabriel Knight II Vs Tex Murphy Overseer

Total Posts: 1

Joined 2013-06-13

PM

rtrooney - 26 August 2013 09:22 PM

People have discussed the merits of these two games for the two you intend to introduce them to.

I have a more basic question. Why these two games? There are far better games available to introduce “newbies” to the genre.

If it’s because you happen to have these in your library, and are willing to set up whatever emulation software is required to play them on their computers, then go for it. But I doubt you will get the reaction you hope for.

Personally, I would recommend going the Casual Game route for both. A fairly dark puzzler such as Dark Alleys - Penumbra Motel for the elder and Emerald City Confidential for the younger.

If they like those then move them up to the next level. But I would not recommend either of the two games you suggested as the next level.

HELLO PEOPLE.

I don’t think those games you suggest can be equally compared with games like Gabriel Knight 2, with or without FMV sequences. These new adventure games such as Penumbra and the likes of it, are good games, yes, but not really the same “genre” as Graphic Adventure games of the likes of Phantasmagoria, Gabriel Knight and Lucas Arts type of games.

Anyway, I guess that GK2 is a very MATURE game, so the person playing it will have to be a bit mature too to understand its plot and contents. GK2 has several different faces - investigation, research, adventure, mystery, etc and it should be played with care and attention. It is indeed a fabulous game and it should be played by all graphic adventure fans. I have played it when I was 18 or 19 years old, a very long time ago.

At last, but not least, here it is my favorite graphic adventure list, which should not be missed by lovers of the genre:

1) THE DIG (Lucas Arts)
2) PHANTASMAGORIA 1 and PHANTASMAGORIA 2: A Puzzle of Flesh (Sierra On-Line)
3) GABRIEL KNIGHT 1 and GABRIEL KNIGHT 2: The Beast Within (Sierra On-Line)
3) THE LEGEND OF KYRANDIA: Book one (Westwood Studios)
4) INDIANA JONES and the FATE OF ATLANTIS (Lucas Arts)
5) DAY OF THE TENTACLE (Lucas Arts)
6) ECO QUEST 1 and 2 (a less mature game but nicely ecologic) (Sierra On-Line)
7) LOOM
8 ) KING’S QUEST SERIES, especially 5, 6 and 7: The Princeless Bride (Sierra On-Line)
9) BENEATH A STEEL SKY (Revolution Software)
10) BROKEN SWORD 1: Shadow of the Templars and BROKEN SWORD 2: The Smoking Mirror (Revolution Software)
11) THE LOST FILES OF Sherlock Holmes (Electronic Arts)

and… also try one of the best humoured adventure games ever: GOBLIIINS (Coktel Vision)

These are just a few. There are much, much more to play!

Wink

Total Posts: 27

Joined 2007-02-13

PM

My nephew is coming over this weekend so we will give Overseer a try.  I will post my results afterwords.

Joined 2007-02-13

PM

I tried to introduce Tex to my nephew this weekend.  He didnt even get past the introduction.  Guess I can classify this as an epic fail but you never know until you try.

Joined 2007-02-13

PM

Reviewing this thread I relized that I have left the story unfinished so hear is my update for anyone who might care.  When my nephew did come over he told me that he did not like detective games.  Bizarre I know.  Unfortunatly I was never able to get my cousin to agree to a time to come over.  I ask invited him a couple of times but nothing came of it. 

Finally I asked my friend and neighbor to play.  I should have asked him in the first place.  He comes over one or twice a week and we have been working our way threw Overseer togther.  We are both really enjoying the game.  It seems that I have found an adventure game buddy.  We havent discussed continuing beyond Overseer but Iam hopeful that we will.  It makes the experiance more enjoyable to be able to share it with someone.

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Texas - 26 June 2014 03:51 PM

It seems that I have found an adventure game buddy.

Count yourself lucky! Adventure game buddies are rare these days.

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Total Posts: 268

Joined 2008-07-05

PM

Karlok - 26 June 2014 04:27 PM
Texas - 26 June 2014 03:51 PM

It seems that I have found an adventure game buddy.

Count yourself lucky! Adventure game buddies are rare these days.

Yep, I always play adventures with my wife and back in the 90s similarly did with my ex-girlfriend. I can’t really imagine playing an adventure on my own - would be a lot less enjoyable, I guess.

Joined 2007-02-13

PM

Karlok,

I’m very lucky to have found an adventure gameing buddy and I’m excited.

DaveyB,

I have played a few games with my wife.  She loved the Last Express and enjoyed the first broken swoard.  I don’t think she likes adventure games as much as I do.  She doesnt like horror based games so she was out for GK and didnt like Tex.

Total Posts: 268

Joined 2008-07-05

PM

Texas - 27 June 2014 11:14 AM

She doesnt like horror based games so she was out for GK

My wife’s not a horror fan either (Phantasmagoria was definitely out Grin) and I can say I’m a fan either. But GK2 is probably her favourite game…the fact that we live in Munich maybe helps Wink  I wouldn’t really describe GK2 as horror at all, it’s fundamentally a historically-based mystery. Has your wife actually tried it?

Texas - 27 June 2014 11:14 AM

and didnt like Tex.

That I can understand a bit more. The Tex world does tend to be a bit sexist, even if I think you can take the whole thing pretty tongue-in-cheek.

Joined 2007-02-13

PM

My wife has scene the trailer to GK and read the descripton and seen some screen shots but she did not want to try it.  I really hoped she would but she wont budge.

Total Posts: 56

Joined 2012-05-21

PM

Whatever game you go with, do not make it the worst Tex Murphy FMV game (Overseer).

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top