• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

How would you rate Conquest of the Longbow

Poll: in comparison to KQ6 and GK1?
Total Votes: 16
The game deserves to be in the same league as KQ6 and GK1?
The game doesn’t deserve to be in the same league as KQ6 and GK1?

Total Posts: 24

Joined 2005-02-20

PM

Anyone who’ve played it agreed that it’s a great game, but for some reason, nobody wants to give it the same amount of attention and love like KQ6 and GK1.

Conquest of the Longbow not only offered a rich story and clever puzzles, but it was released in a time when KQ6 was still in early development, and GK1 was not in consideration yet. I’d say the game has pushed the envelope just as much as the other two did.

Total Posts: 1235

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

I’ve only played it once, and while I did enjoy it, nothing about the game struck me as being as memorable or as interesting as KQ6 OR GK1, to be completely honest.  I love the graphics, but hated the maze-like forest, and I seem to remember the game having what seemed like a ton of backtracking and random events that you had to sit and wait for on certain screens (like characters coming down the road.)

In my opinion, Conquest of Camelot was a much more memorable game.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

The game is as good as the best but forgotten with the lack of voice acting and the possibility of the some new gamers to get it right, if KQ6 or GK1 even SQ4 hadn’t have voice acting they would have destined the same fate, not to forget about some number of “text” adventures also forgotten just because they are.

Total Posts: 813

Joined 2004-08-01

PM

CoC was memorable for all the wrong reasons. It wasn’t Codename: Iceman but man did that game have its share of stupid deaths, unnecessary action sequences and dead ends.

CoL I really liked, and I liked even more on a second play-through when I found it had multiple paths. I think the reason it’s not regarded as highly is the generic atmosphere. Both GK1 and KQ6 had very unique vibes, which is not something you can say about CoL.

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

I think Advie has a good point too. CoL has no voice acting at all, while GK1 and KQ6 has excellent voice overs. This alone puts them in different leagues for me.

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Then again, not every game needs to be treated as “the greatest.” I’ve always felt Conquest of the Longbow has its devoted group of fans and is sort of a “classic in the shadow” of more popular Sierra titles. BTW, it’s free to download on Christy Marx’s site. Also, here’s a nice Youtube review of it -

posted earlier.

When I first played the game I was expecting a swashbuckling tale in the vein of Robin Hood movies, so I was a little disappointed at first that it’s more on the “folklore” and fantasy side. But the real trouble was that I’ve found the difficulty too demanding, as there’re too many screens (wandering through the forest, anyone?) with the lack of hot-spots (yeah, I’m spoiled), so I’ve left it unfinished, but I’ll definitely get back to it.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

I’ve played Conquest through only once, but I do like it better thank King’s Quest 6 mainly because KQ6 has a slighty scitzophrenic feel into it thanks to the contrast between very naive fairytale bits mixed with the darker themes the lord of the dead and whatnot. It very often feels like two different stories that were put together in the bag and mixed randomly together.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top