• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

The Visual Novel and success of recent Adventure Games

Total Posts: 514

Joined 2010-08-03

PM

@tomimt:I think I’m going to agree with Lambonius on the fact that LA was rather repetitive in some aspects…probably less so for me than for Lamby but I do agree 100% that it was very long.The biggest problem for me though wasn’t that it was long but that it felt like they dragged things out and tried to blend the story with a mission based model.Using the GTA mission based story model wasn’t the right thing to do as far as I’m concerned.I felt that they should have focused on a specific story with minor distractions from it to create the illusion that things move behind the scenes and as you think life goes on some problems you thought long solved come back to haunt you.Doing missions for the sole sake of progressing through the ranks and also having the recurring story pop up here and there just felt disconnected somehow.On GTA i felt they did a great job because somehow all storylines and characters end up connected somehow.But here it’s more like doing meaningless leveling and once in a while reconnect with the main conflict.The pace was just wrong.

I don’t mind playing it again since I like the sandbox side of it and how it feels real because you also need to do the menial tasks like getting to and from a scene by car or on foot or whatever.And you can direct the way you act in several non-cinematic moments which feels great.

LA feels more like an experimental game to me than a serious IP.More like testing new tech and incorporating it.Rockstar has the rights for it so they could very well make a sequel which addresses the issues.Seeing what they did with Max Payne 3(realise it’s not an adventure game but the way the story was written and presented was very good) which felt more solid in retrospect to LA they could probably do it.

On a side note,AGs might have a chance at mainstream through tablets…iPads and the like.
point and click comes naturally to tablets and no new or weird control mechanics need to be designed(they can be but it’s optional).So I expect a lot of positive hype for the genre from that market alone.Bringing even a fad or a trend for the genre to the masses is positive in any way.More attention,funds etc.Admittedly,it can result to some bad choices in game design due to trends and the like but it can also bring in new fans to the genre.The existing fans are pretty loyal so you can see where I’m going with this.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

@jhetfield21: I don’t know why you are replying to me, as I didn’t say anything about the content, I just pointed that the game was generally well received.

But yes, the biggest issue I have with the game is, that the driving around LA just doesn’t bring that much to the game itself. It’s neat for a while, but after a couple of missions I always put my partner on the wheel. And the side missions are just rubbish.

Total Posts: 245

Joined 2006-05-20

PM

Tantei KID - 20 December 2013 03:24 AM

So the puzzle is that you have to make the right choices so both storylines can proceed. And now do that with five protagonists, controlling the flow of information, events and movement of characters for a whole day and tell me sound novels don’t have puzzles (even if it’s not a standard inventory / logic puzzle form) Tongue Heck, I still haven’t beaten the first day (of five) in Machi… And I still want to see a game do a detective novel to game transition as interesting as Trick X Logic (where you actually read a prose story and combine keywords from the text to generate deductions).

The thing is, most of these puzzles lie one level above what most people expect from puzzles in a adventure game (i.e. whereas traditionally you overcome a story roadblock by solving a puzzle within the story, 428 allows you change the story itself in order to force an outcome where the roadblock doesn’t exist in the first place)

Sounds really interesting. Hope they get translated to English some time

Joined 2010-08-03

PM

@tomimt:oh sr then.i misundertood.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

LA Noire was both a critical and commercial success on consoles:

http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-3/la-noire

http://www.vgchartz.com/game/33961/la-noire/

http://www.vgchartz.com/game/47563/la-noire/

This makes it one of the most popular games of 2011.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 1235

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

You have to remember also that LA Noire came right after Red Dead Redemption, arguably Rockstar’s best game, and a game that did almost everything right.  Those are some pretty big shoes to fill.  One of the reasons it was somewhat of a letdown was because it just didn’t even come close to the greatness of its predecessor in terms of the blend of story and gameplay.

Joined 2010-08-03

PM

my thoughts were that it was mainly due to it’s great new tech in graphics and the fact that it was open world and moved many GTA fans as well.
beyond two souls which also has great and more realistic graphics as a selling point has done 1/4th of LAN’s sales in roughly 1/16th of the time LAN has been on sale.
these games get boosted from their mainstream characteristics(whichever and how many they are).and great graphics is one such characteristic.
i liked LAN as a game but i realise that beyond it’s achievements tech wise it wasn’t that well designed in terms of structure and pacing which has a toll on the overall experience.
i hope Rockstar got a lesson from that which they are willing to rectify on new installments and hopefully ones that even as hybrids still incorporate the adventure game genre.

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

1. LA noire sold well, atleast better than Maxpayne3 so former have chances of getting sequel according to R*
if they have resources, but now too many IPs, Agent, RDR, GTA, Bully will be among next release i believe
(IF confirmed groundbreaking new ip for nextgen is indeed Agent),

2. 428 is too japanese centric to be released here. But Tanteikid is right on the issue of Puzzles.
Traditional or conventional sense of puzzles are different in Visual novels, but there are many types and better
than TTG. Like 428 , Girlintheshell follows similar setup where you will face gameover and bad endings , failed
investigations based on your bad choices. Its choice driven gameplay but with consequences of gameover and death.
Kotaku did recent detailed article on this check and play the game, its good.

http://kotaku.com/kara-no-shojo-the-kotaku-review-1486926848

3.Snatcher ( graphic adventure/visual novel) also have different puzzles, so Mikelly comments are invalid. Puzzles are there, maybe he/she is
confusing it with intventory puzzles , mandatory for AG.

For detailed knowhow on the topic and before we go further, i suggest reading this, it will clear many
confusions and have detailed analysis of many japanese games , terminologies and types.

Infact it righlty contrasts between Chunsoft games(428) as Soundovels than traditional Visual novels.

http://gaming.wikia.com/wiki/Visual_novel

Its mosly semantics issue, but mehanically i think unless TTG will have different endings and actual bending of
narrative, Visualnovels 1ups them. But they are cultural alternatives for now.

Total Posts: 1235

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

nomadsoul - 20 December 2013 01:04 PM

mechanically i think unless TTG will have different endings and actual bending of
narrative, Visualnovels 1ups them.

QFT Wink  I seriously WANT to like Telltale’s games.  I do.  They’re relatively inexpensive and the stories are usually pretty good.  But until they start offering any kind of real replay value—i.e. branching narratives, alternate endings, actually giving the player some real control over the story, they’ll always fall flat for me.  I don’t even NEED to have them contain puzzles.  But fuck, just give me SOMETHING that makes me feel like I have a modicum of ownership over the game.  Something.

Total Posts: 29

Joined 2008-01-10

PM

Tantei KID - 20 December 2013 03:24 AM

For some reason though, a lot of people in the West use the term visual (sound) novel to refer to all adventure games from Japan…

Stemmed from lazy journalism and misinformation.

I cry a little inside whenever Portopia is called a visual novel Confused

Total Posts: 48

Joined 2013-04-25

PM

I do think visual novels play an important niche not found in mainstream games, which is easily found in other art mediums like films, books and comics. As a result, slice of life and/or romance themes in VNs are a large majority in the genre. I’m pretty sure the only VNs that would work for AG fans are the mystery ones, otherwise the Japanese AGs have puzzles already.

Games Played: Ace Attorney (PW 1-3, Apollo Justice, Miles Investigation), Hotel Dusk and Last Window, Professor Layton (Curious Village, Diabolical Box, Unwound Future, Lost Specter), 999 and Zero Escape, Walking Dead S1-2, Trace Memory, Area-X, Time Hollow, Ghost Trick, Indian Jones FoA   Currently Playing: Portal 2, PL - Miracle Mask, Dangan Ronpa

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top