• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

LittleRose

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

millenia’s Game Summer..er.. Autumn 2013

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

millenia - 17 July 2013 10:34 PM

Anyway I did get the itch to play it again with different choices and I will..

I will advice against that, it will just emphasize how little the choices actually matter!

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

Oh I know the emphasis on the choices isn’t that big. I’d just want to see what Doug/Carly say in the different situations and things like that.

And I already got the DLC as a gift from wilco, thank you again Smile.
Will be playing it this weekend if I have time (an unexpected party appeared tonight).

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

Finally had the chance and energy to go through The 400 Days. It was really just a teaser though, aroused more questions than answered anything. I guess there should still be more coming at some point?

The downside of very short episodes (or separate pieces of one episode really) is that you don’t get that emotionally attached to the new characters, the choices you make are more just trying out things from curiosity. But I’m still of course interested in what would happen next.

It was an enjoyable piece, doesn’t alter my rating.

Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Total Posts: 2991

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

millenia - 25 July 2013 07:30 PM

The downside of very short episodes (or separate pieces of one episode really) is that you don’t get that emotionally attached to the new characters, the choices you make are more just trying out things from curiosity.

Exactly. What made the original TWD a great game was the emotional connection between you and the characters. These short stories are far too short to achieve any emotional bonds, thus being unsuccessful IMO.

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

So, what I feared happened. Summer is pretty much over and I didn’t get to cross even half of the adventures off. But real life is like that sometimes. We were talking about moving but then suddenly we were moving already in August and had quite a rush to finish everything in time. I think I’ll only finish Obsidian now. I pretty much fell out of the community playthrough Frown. All the other games have to wait a bit more again. Need to finish off some books too and the tv show premieres are starting, ARGH.

But at least I’ve kept my cool and haven’t bought more games now. And I’ll try to keep it that way until Iäm finished at least with this list.

Total Posts: 5051

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

You do what you gotta do. Best wishes.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 532

Joined 2009-06-07

PM

millenia - 07 September 2013 08:34 PM

So, what I feared happened. Summer is pretty much over and I didn’t get to cross even half of the adventures off. But real life is like that sometimes. We were talking about moving but then suddenly we were moving already in August and had quite a rush to finish everything in time. I think I’ll only finish Obsidian now. I pretty much fell out of the community playthrough Frown. All the other games have to wait a bit more again. Need to finish off some books too and the tv show premieres are starting, ARGH.

But at least I’ve kept my cool and haven’t bought more games now. And I’ll try to keep it that way until Iäm finished at least with this list.

Hey! What A coinscedence. I too have moved. And I too have had to interrupt my gaming activities. I played 4 of the 9 games I wanted to play this summer. I got about a quarter into The Testament of Sherlock Holmes before the whole mayhem of moving started and have yet to start The Raven (I think I’ll wait till ep3’s released now) Also as a result the release of Memoria: a game I had been highly anticipating completely passed me by.

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

gray pierce - 08 September 2013 01:02 PM

Hey! What A coinscedence. I too have moved. And I too have had to interrupt my gaming activities. I played 4 of the 9 games I wanted to play this summer. I got about a quarter into The Testament of Sherlock Holmes before the whole mayhem of moving started and have yet to start The Raven (I think I’ll wait till ep3’s released now) Also as a result the release of Memoria: a game I had been highly anticipating completely passed me by.

Totally missed your post before, congratulations to your new home. Smile
I think I’m finally starting to really settle in, only a few minor things to be done. Having two small kids interrupting me constantly during my holiday and now working the days didn’t really leave me so much time to work things out. But now I started to find some free evenings finally Smile.

I figured I’d still continue this thread as I want to finish this list, summer or not. A good place to keep track.

I finished my Obsidian playthrough - horribly late of course but finished nonetheless. Also found a few hours for Cognition yesterday. It was a short chapter so it was done in 3.5 hours or so (the earlier episodes took me a bit longer than that).

I liked both of these games but not sure what I’ll score them. I talked about Obsidian already in the community playthrough thread. Cognition’s final chapter was a suitable ending for the great season, I really hope there’s more to come in the future. Overall I think The Cain Killer was not as strong as a standalone episode as The Oracle was. Cognition scores 4.5 overall, with The Oracle getting a pure 5.0 But I’m trying to figure out if The Cain Killer is 4 or 4.5. I guess I should change my personal scoring to 1-10 with halves, so often I’m in need of 4+ or 4- scores.

Total Posts: 532

Joined 2009-06-07

PM

millenia - 23 September 2013 06:19 AM

Totally missed your post before, congratulations to your new home. Smile
I think I’m finally starting to really settle in, only a few minor things to be done. Having two small kids interrupting me constantly during my holiday and now working the days didn’t really leave me so much time to work things out. But now I started to find some free evenings finally Smile.

I figured I’d still continue this thread as I want to finish this list, summer or not. A good place to keep track.

I finished my Obsidian playthrough - horribly late of course but finished nonetheless. Also found a few hours for Cognition yesterday. It was a short chapter so it was done in 3.5 hours or so (the earlier episodes took me a bit longer than that).

I liked both of these games but not sure what I’ll score them. I talked about Obsidian already in the community playthrough thread. Cognition’s final chapter was a suitable ending for the great season, I really hope there’s more to come in the future. Overall I think The Cain Killer was not as strong as a standalone episode as The Oracle was. Cognition scores 4.5 overall, with The Oracle getting a pure 5.0 But I’m trying to figure out if The Cain Killer is 4 or 4.5. I guess I should change my personal scoring to 1-10 with halves, so often I’m in need of 4+ or 4- scores.

Wow I think my move was a lot easier than yours. In my case it was just out of the parental home into a single room. Much less to move. Much less to decorate. Still it took me about two weeks and I’m still busy decorating. (looking for a nice comfy chair at the moment) I’d say I’m pretty much settled in now. But only since last week.

Good to hear you liked Cognition. Hoping to play it this weekend.

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

Updating this at last. It’s obviously my “year 2013” thread now. I think I played a game or two in the spring but it really wasn’t much. So this is pretty much it. It’s been a good year even if it started late. The first post is updated but I’ll add my scores here too:

5/5
To the Moon

4.5/5
Beyond: Two Souls
(Cognition 1-4)
Edna & Harvey: The Breakout
Gone Home
I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream
The Walking Dead

4/5
Cognition - episode 4
Obsidian
Testament of Sherlock Holmes

3.5/5
A Vampyre Story
Drawn - The Painted Tower

Even the two 3.5/5 games were very solid ones (closing in on 4/5) and enjoyable playthroughs. But it’s not like I picked many controversial games, the community playthroughs were the only ones that hadn’t been praised everywhere (though they’ve had their share of positive feedback too).

I’ve missed so many games that I still have loads and loads of this to go on.

Total Posts: 5051

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I think I played many more games than you, but most were of the shorter, casual variety. Only one of yours, Drawn, fit that category. So your playlist is still more ambitions than mine.

The only two Real adventures we have in common are the two CPTs. As I prefer a bit more light-hearted fare, I would switch the two ratings. But if you like to explore the depths of human, (and inhuman,) depravity, I can see why you might rate IHNMAIMS higher. Smile

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

There were actually three playthroughs.

AVS was basically a 4-, it had potential to be great and I would have wished for it to continue (or even get that prequel) but it didn’t shake my world.

IHNMAIMS for me was really an experience worthy of the cult status it has, also giving some bonus from the different paths you could take during the game, very interesting for a game (in general and especially that age).

I am assuming you mean Obsidian though, which I also anjoyed and definitely can see the excellent qualities in it (why else give it a 4?) but it was my first playthrough and I was quite often frustrated during the journey, so I didn’t feel happy giving it a 4½ which is basically my “awesome, I recommend to everyone” score. I did ponder it in here and/or the CP thread I think, that I might possibly score it higher on a second playthrough (and several other players also said how much they appreaciated the game on the second time).

Oh, and To the Moon and Gone Home are shorter, and I think many people would stamp them as casual, at least they are “lite”.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top