• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Incubus - A ghost-hunters tale from Darkling Room is out

Total Posts: 513

Joined 2005-07-07

PM

Apparently a new game from Darkling Room (Dark Fall, Lost Crown, Barrow Hill etc.) was released a couple of days ago. Incubus - A ghost-hunters tale. More info at http://www.darklingroom.co.uk/incubus/. Not at any of the on-line vendors it seems (yet at least).

Now I know people like to slam Jonathan & Matt for announcing games and then pretty much never deliver and I agree that their marketing tactics are questionable to put it mildly. But my mindset with them for the last ten years or so has been to disregard announcements and just take whatever more or less suddenly and surprisingly shows up. Their games are almost always worth playing (apart from the imo terrible The Last Crown: Midnight Horror) and some of them are fantastic.

I will likely play Incubus this weekend.

Ps. There’s also a presumably short game called Betane in their store. Hadn’t noticed the release of that either.

Total Posts: 1785

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

Could be interesting (but if it’s keyboard control it’s a no from me as I’ve damaged hands and, recently, osteoarthritis in them as well) however, the memory requirement! 12GB as a minimum. As I’ve 32GB it isn’t a problem but loads of machines only have 8GB.

But it does look intriguing Smile

Life is what it is.

Joined 2005-07-07

PM

Their games so far have been point & click but I don’t know about this one. I know they are experimenting with 3D but hopefully they will provide the option to control those games the way that suit individual players best.

I too was surprised by the 12 GB RAM requirement. My PC only has 8 GB of RAM, but since Firmament played well (16 GB minimum requirement) on it I hope Incubus will too.

Guess it’s time to buy a new computer anyway. Upgrading the RAM would only be a short-term solution.

Edit: A couple of hours later and my PC now has 16 GB of RAM. It was cheaper than I thought…

Total Posts: 262

Joined 2014-12-25

PM

Jabod - 06 September 2023 05:52 AM

Could be interesting (but if it’s keyboard control it’s a no from me as I’ve damaged hands and, recently, osteoarthritis in them as well) however, the memory requirement! 12GB as a minimum. As I’ve 32GB it isn’t a problem but loads of machines only have 8GB.

But it does look intriguing Smile

It’s mouse only.

They said at the Gamescom that they’d release this one soon. but I took that with more than just one grain of salt. Now it’s here. I wonder if they’ll manage to release Lammana before the end of the year, too, as they’ve also announced there. I’d be thrilled.

Total Posts: 8

Joined 2011-10-25

PM

Veovis - 06 September 2023 04:54 AM

Ps. There’s also a presumably short game called Betane in their store. Hadn’t noticed the release of that either.

Beltane is quite enjoyable but very short - probably no more then 20-30 minutes gameplay. More like a demo or proof of concept really.

Total Posts: 1785

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

LittleRose - 06 September 2023 09:37 AM

It’s mouse only.

They said at the Gamescom that they’d release this one soon. but I took that with more than just one grain of salt. Now it’s here. I wonder if they’ll manage to release Lammana before the end of the year, too, as they’ve also announced there. I’d be thrilled.

Thanks LR. I’ll keep my eyes open for views/reviews. If it comes over as well as it’s been advertised then I’ll be seriously considering it. But like so many on here my backlog is high and I’ve several Kickstarter ones due to come to fruition.

Life is what it is.

Joined 2005-07-07

PM

Just finished Beltane. As tylwyth wrote more of a proof of concept and only a few minutes long, but mildly enjoyable. Buggy though. Picking up the cam and “hiding” it before finding the compass makes it impossible to use it again. Revealing the cam again by right-clicking only works after picking up the compass. And picking up the compass first and using it makes the cam invisible in the grass before picking it up.

No info on how to report bugs on their website(s).

So, Beltane is a beautiful but unpolished game. Which makes me hesitant to tackle Incubus before a few updates have been released. There were lots of problems with Ghost Vigil at first. Almost beta level buggy. But I’ll probably begin playing Incubus tomorrow anyway.

Joined 2005-07-07

PM

Now on Steam.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1803310/Incubus__A_ghosthunters_tale/

Enjoying the game an hour or two into it. But it has already crashed on me once. Save often will be the strategy henceforth.

Joined 2005-07-07

PM

Finished Incubus a few days ago. The major chunk of the gameplay evolves around looking for ghostly events in a pretty small and confined space. The investigation is for some unclear reason spread out over several days and nights (in sessions taking between 10-30 minutes each). In this part the game is more or less a walking simulator/casual game with light puzzle elements. Towards the end the game gets more focused on puzzles though, more in the vein of previous Darkling Room games.

Took me around 9-10 hours to finish the game and I enjoyed playing it. Not top-tier Darkling Room, but absolutely worth playing for those who have enjoyed their previous games and that are used to and accept some quirks in both writing and gameplay that their games often have. Beliefs have to be suspended, even bearing in mind it’s a game about supernatural stuff.

No technical problems after that early crash. The game felt very stable and polished. Good looking too, especially the in-door areas where much time is spent in the first 3/4 or so of the game.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top