• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

chrissie

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Epics

Total Posts: 860

Joined 2017-12-19

PM

PlanetX - 08 July 2022 09:44 AM

QTEs in Shenmue aren’t puzzles, it’s a reflex challenge not a thinking challenge. You aren’t thinking of a solution, you’re quite literally given the button to press and the challenge is how quickly you can react. By this logic Dance Dance Revolution is a puzzle game.

Puzzle actually doesn’t always mean thinking challenge, it also means using skills, although that use of the word is a bit rare.

When I was writing for the (now defunct) online gamezine, there was no section for rhythm games, they were, as shocking as it may be, put into puzzle games category.

But obviously no one here is really seeing this from a different perspective, so let’s leave it, and drop it. At least we got some good discussion out of Shenmue.  Thumbs Up

Anyone have any other interesting suggestions for an epic adventure, or something like adventure game, to take the discussion into new direction?

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

I consider the word epic meaning more than just awesome, but not just describing a literal epic.

I was describing my experience of playing the game being epic. It feels like a grand experience, fills me with awe, has something unique and surprising, and feels like a journey.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

seething wolf - 08 July 2022 12:56 PM

I’m noticing that this place, besides being eggshell-y,

Well put. Thumbs Up

has trouble discerning what’s sarcasm.

Sarcasm is frowned upon.

GateKeeper - 08 July 2022 01:48 PM

Puzzle actually doesn’t always mean thinking challenge, it also means using skills, although that use of the word is a bit rare.

When I was writing for the (now defunct) online gamezine, there was no section for rhythm games, they were, as shocking as it may be, put into puzzle games category.

Why do you want to include “skills”? What is the advantage of having such broad categories? People will still want to discriminate between dexterity and logic puzzles.

millenia - 08 July 2022 03:47 PM

I consider the word epic meaning more than just awesome, but not just describing a literal epic.

I was describing my experience of playing the game being epic. It feels like a grand experience, fills me with awe, has something unique and surprising, and feels like a journey.

Yes, that’s what it meant for me too. The Witness was an awe-some journey for me. But then I felt I’d misunderstood the purpose of this thread. And now I don’t know what to think. Oh well…

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Total Posts: 2454

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

Epic and awesome can mean all sorts of things, I think Charophycean meant we could take the term and roll with it.

Riven is pretty epic: the attraction-park style modes of transportation, discovering different worlds, creatures, weird metaphysics and technology - it’s pretty awesome. But I mostly thought of the ending.

Total Posts: 5051

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Thread is so far off track from the original concept. Suggest an admin delete everything after the OP and we can try again to decide what makes an Epic game.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 524

Joined 2022-02-22

PM

Karlok - 08 July 2022 07:20 PM
millenia - 08 July 2022 03:47 PM

Yes, that’s what it meant for me too. The Witness was an awe-some journey for me. But then I felt I’d misunderstood the purpose of this thread. And now I don’t know what to think. Oh well…

Far be it for me to tell you what to think, it’s wonderful that we can have such different experiences and interpretations of them. And I really appreciate hearing about them. I’ll look at The Witness and Edna & Harvey (two of my most loved games) with different eyes next time I play them.

AKA Charo

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

seething wolf - 08 July 2022 09:16 PM
Karlok - 08 July 2022 07:20 PM

Well put. Thumbs Up Sarcasm is frowned upon.

Yeah, I figured as much lol and it seems to me you have quite a few war stories to tell.

MOI?!?

And I don’t see why there’s a need to delete it as @rtrooney suggested.

No and that won’t happen. A thread may get locked in the case of overheated arguments but I’ve never seen a thread disappear.

Charophycean - 08 July 2022 10:43 PM

Far be it for me to tell you what to think, it’s wonderful that we can have such different experiences and interpretations of them.

It might just be my confusion over the meaning of the word “epic”. It does have a much more objective feeling to it than “awesome”.

And I really appreciate hearing about them. I’ll look at The Witness and Edna & Harvey (two of my most loved games) with different eyes next time I play them.

I only replay games I truly love. I was determined to find all the unique reponses in Edna. And I’m currently replaying parts of The Witness. As impressive as it was 6 years ago.

Total Posts: 1263

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

Epic is what happened in Resonance. I can’t say more without spoilers.

Edit: if you are playing an adventure game, and something happens, and you must say WTF all loud, that’s epic for me.

Currently translating Strangeland into Spanish. Wish me luck, or send me money to my Paypal haha

Total Posts: 31

Joined 2018-02-08

PM

I think of ‘epic’ in the literal terms. Either someone taking up a monumental, world-changing task (Like lord of the rings) or a dynasty spanning several generations changing the world in their wake (Like star-wars).

That means that there is no real correlation between quality and epic. Star wars is epic, star trek is not. But I would certainly prefer to spend my time with the latter as I find it much more interesting and entertaining the former.

Can’t really think of many games that fit into the this definition of ‘epic’ though. Most just focus on a relatively small task, such as solving a murder mystery or finding a hidden treasure. Nothing really ‘epic’ about either.

Message #43

Total Posts: 860

Joined 2017-12-19

PM

walas74 - 09 July 2022 07:00 AM

Edit: if you are playing an adventure game, and something happens, and you must say WTF all loud, that’s epic for me.

Thank you!

Now I finally understand why some people consider Gabriel Knight 2: The Beast Within as an epic game.

Total Posts: 2454

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Yes, amazing and memorable. No real spoilers but I’ll use the tags anyway. I immediately went back to check dialogues/monologues and everything made perfect sense. Great design. Great game.

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

Karlok - 09 July 2022 08:25 AM

Yes, amazing and memorable. No real spoilers but I’ll use the tags anyway. I immediately went back to check dialogues/monologues and everything made perfect sense. Great design. Great game.

If you mean the first plot twist, I saw it coming. Well, maybe not in its entirety, but I figured out that the main dude was an unreliable narrator, and I was really reluctant helping him, especially handing over the gun.

Wadjet Eye games have good twists. They’re consistent and not cheap. There are plenty of hints, so the player often does suspect something is going on, but might not really grasp the truth yet.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top