• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

IronCretin

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Dreams in the Witch House - Adventure Game

Total Posts: 12

Joined 2021-06-08

PM

I want to present you “Dreams in the Witch House” adventure game, which combines classic point-and-click aesthetics with open world survival game elements.

WISHLIST ON STEAM: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1902850/Dreams_in_the_Witch_House/

Walter Gilman has just moved to Arkham and is starting his studies at the Miskatonic University.
The Dombrowski’s boarding house where he resides has a bad reputation, but Walter doesn’t mind the old rumours.

Until the dreams start.

Can Walter hang on for two months and suffer through the dreaded May-Eve, when witches roam the earth and the death cults gather for nameless rites and deeds?

Features:

- Unique mix of adventure game and open world sandbox
- 10 - 20 hours of playtime, depending on player’s actions
- Original soundtrack by the great Troy Sterling Nies (”Call of Cthulhu, ”The Whisperer in Darkness”)
- Day / evening / night - cycles
- RPG elements: health, sanity, hunger, money, etc.
- Random events, city activities and encounters
- Several endings depending on player’s actions
- 320 x 180 hand drawn pixel graphics
- Plenty of detailed animation and visual effects
- Made with Adventure Game Studio

Release Date: 2022

Teaser Trailer:

Dreams in the Witch House is a passion project for me, and I’ve been working with it almost six years now. Finally it’s coming together! Follow the development at the game’s Facebook page.

Dreams in the Witch House on Steam and GOG

Total Posts: 2454

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

Looks good. Sounds rather ambitious, if you can pull it off, I’d definitely check out the result.  Thumbs Up

Joined 2021-06-08

PM

Vegetable Party - 08 June 2021 05:14 PM

Looks good. Sounds rather ambitious, if you can pull it off, I’d definitely check out the result.  Thumbs Up

Thanks, nice to hear that! Of course the “open world” is quite compact, so it’s not GTA. Still, the game is much bigger than I first thought it would be, when I started to make it in 2016. But it seems now that it is possible to complete it this year.

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

Awesome! Good luck!

Total Posts: 844

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

Even though I’m not much into Lovecraft, this game still looks very cool. Congratulations on making it so far. I look forward to playing it when it’s all ready.

So…good luck! We’re all counting on you!

Player, purveyor, and propagator of smart toys and games for all ages.
Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

Joined 2021-06-08

PM

Baron_Blubba - 09 June 2021 03:45 PM

Even though I’m not much into Lovecraft, this game still looks very cool. Congratulations on making it so far. I look forward to playing it when it’s all ready.

So…good luck! We’re all counting on you!

Thank you, I won’t let you down!

Yes, I don’t think you have to be a Lovecraft fan to enjoy the game. You could just take it as a horror / witch story as well. The main character is a normal student who starts to experience weird incidents at his lodging house. No extra Lovecraft knowledge is needed!

Total Posts: 1

Joined 2021-09-26

PM

I can’t even tell you how excited I am to hear about this project!
Witch House is one of, if not my single favorite Lovecraft story, and I’m always looking for new interpretations of it. In fact, I’m actually in the process of writing a novel adapted from it.

All this to say, if you need feedback or a play tester, I’d be happy to help you out with it.

And if not, I’ll be first in line to play it when it’s ready.

Total Posts: 5051

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I guess you have to be a Lovecraft fan, and a fan of Lovecraft-inspired games. I am not a fan of either. So I hope this works for you. I will not be a purchaser.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2021-09-23

PM

This looks great!  Lovecraft’s story is one of my favourites of his (probably due to the absence of the casual racism present in many of his stories!).  I love your visualisation of the psychedelic geometric patterns Walter encounters.

I shall be interested to see the actual depiction of the witch herself.

The Graphic Adventurers

Podcast
Youtube
Twitter
Facebook

Joined 2021-06-08

PM

Hello! A quick update, Dreams in the Witch House has now a Steam page!

LINK: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1902850/Dreams_in_the_Witch_House/

Take a look, and if you like what you see, please add it to your wishlist. Thanks!

Total Posts: 19

Joined 2022-01-17

PM

Nice, the trailer looks cool, soundtrack is great too!

My only criticism would be that the Lovecraftian hellscape (assuming that’s what it is?) you cut to looks like a bunch of web 1.0 animated gifs dumped together and (for me) severely undermines the atmosphere. I think you’d get more mileage out of something more ambiguous and creepy (just my 2c, of course!)

However, the rest was nicely done. The people walking around, the buildings—they all drew me in.

Another dev for another game (I can only apologise!).

Check out Mistmoon Falls, a weird murder mystery set in a Stardew Valley-inspired setting. Or don’t! Choices matter.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1684290/Mistmoon_Falls/
https://mistmoonfalls.com

Joined 2021-06-08

PM

portmantoga - 24 February 2022 09:46 AM

Nice, the trailer looks cool, soundtrack is great too!

My only criticism would be that the Lovecraftian hellscape (assuming that’s what it is?) you cut to looks like a bunch of web 1.0 animated gifs dumped together and (for me) severely undermines the atmosphere. I think you’d get more mileage out of something more ambiguous and creepy (just my 2c, of course!)

Thanks for the feedback, I’m glad you enjoyed (most) of the trailer! The web 1.0 part made me laugh, I think I know what you mean. But that place is not meant to be especially scary. It’s a weird place in another dimension, where the laws of physics are twisted and strange. I think it givest the trailer a bit more punch, and raises some questions.

But it’s always good to hear costructive criticism!

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

Sorry portmantoga, gonna have to disagree on that 100%. I really like the style! It’s an original interpretation of Lovecraft horror in video games. It’s very distinct.

So now you have four cents. This forum is like a virtual kickstarter.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I like Lovecraft, so this could be fun. I’ll keep my eye on this game.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Joined 2021-06-08

PM

Vegetable Party - 25 February 2022 11:40 AM

Sorry portmantoga, gonna have to disagree on that 100%. I really like the style! It’s an original interpretation of Lovecraft horror in video games. It’s very distinct.

So now you have four cents. This forum is like a virtual kickstarter.

Glad you like the style! Lovecraft’s description of that place is very bizarre, and I’ve tried to remain true to that. That location also has very specific game mechanics, so they affect the look and design too.

So the situation is now even. Keep those cents coming people, let’s see who wins! Grin

I like Lovecraft, so this could be fun. I’ll keep my eye on this game.

Good to hear, feel free to wishlist it! Thumbs Up

Total Posts: 19

Joined 2022-01-17

PM

Haha, there we go then—you can never please everyone! Please take my criticism with a large pinch of salt too, btw, especially since you know what you’re making far better than I do (and keep up the good work)

Another dev for another game (I can only apologise!).

Check out Mistmoon Falls, a weird murder mystery set in a Stardew Valley-inspired setting. Or don’t! Choices matter.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1684290/Mistmoon_Falls/
https://mistmoonfalls.com

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top