• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Theme of the Week 14 - Behind Locked Doors

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Usually these kinda of puzzles at adventure games come with protagonist outside looking inside, but today this is not what is taking my attention, its the other way around; inside, looking outside.

for me its always been one of the most cheerful moments at any adventure as i know instantly that all what is needed to solve this puzzle is at this small area i am locked in/at, no scavenging around, or back tracking or anything that could ruin your immersion and hardly will i ever give in to the idea of consulting walkthrough.

I tried to collect the situations that come with this kinda incident, and i ve been able to remember three of them.

1. At the Very Beginning - upon start:
Edna & Harvey: The Breakout, The Book of Unwritten Tales2, Dead Synchronicity and many others.

Mostly games like these that start with locked rooms are somehow an in game tutorial, to get you used to the game mechanism without needing to start up a game by breaking the fourth wall .

2. At the Middle of the Game - being trapped or locked out:
Black MirrorII, SQIV, Ceville, TMoS.

and this mostly comes into the narrative either by being brought into it (Jail or barn..), or entering a place and suddenly you find out you cant leave, whether someone locked you in, or the way has been just blocked up by some rubble or stones.

Mostly these situation are much difficult and challenging than the previous one, sometimes one room can hold lots of secrets and could take more take more than an hour to escape it.

3. The Designer’s Blockage :
Secert Files3, Broken Sword5, Nibiru, Art of Murder3.

here, you cant leave the current area until you have found or done something thats needed to be done, or the game will tell something like “i cant leave now” and usually its a simple thing to do, but the design cant/wont-let you go further upon this point without letting you (player) do what is needed to be done.

this (BS5) at start but gives the idea, couldnot get my hand on the other examples imgs.

edited BS5 img with NiBiRu’s

Total Posts: 5838

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Advie - 20 August 2017 04:47 PM

Usually these kinda of puzzles at adventure games come with protagonist outside looking inside, but today this is not what is taking my attention, its the other way around; inside, looking outside.

for me its always been one of the most cheerful moments at any adventure as i know instantly that all what is needed to solve this puzzle is at this small area i am locked in/at, no scavenging around, or back tracking or anything that could ruin your immersion and hardly will i ever give in to the idea of consulting walkthrough.

I tried to collect the situations that come with this kinda incident, and i ve been able to remember three of them.

1. At the Very Beginning - upon start:

2. At the Middle of the Game - being trapped or locked out:

3. The Designer’s Blockage :
here, you cant leave the current area until you have found or done something thats needed to be done, or the game will tell something like “i cant leave now” and usually its a simple thing to do….

Thanks Advie as this is another very nice theme!  Thumbs Up

One of my favourite kind of puzzling to be incorporated in a game is being trapped with no obvious way of escaping but like you I never resort to a walkthrough as I know the means are there to be found in the very limited environment!

Examples I can think of are ‘At the Very Beginning’ - Broken Sword 2 where George Stobbart is tied to a chair with a tarantula approaching him (if I’ve remembered the scene correctly?) & then following that he has to escape from a burning room…..so there are two limited situations to deal with.

‘At the Middle of the Game - being trapped or locked out’ there’s at least two examples of that in The Raven. The 1st one that springs to mind is the tied-up constable trying to free himself from that predicament & the 2nd more challenging one is when a stowaway in a trunk placed underneath shelving has to find a way to escape that.
I think I remember having to escape jail cells on a number of occasions in other games!

I enjoy the above examples but often find the most infuriating ‘The Designer’s Blockage’ where you can’t leave a ‘larger’ area until you’ve completed everything needed which can on occasion lead to a peak at a walkthrough - I’ve played plenty of games in which that happens but can’t think of any other examples just now .... I’ll keep thinking!  Smile   

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

At the Very Beginning - an oldie but goldie, Countdown:

also, Flight of the Amazon Queen had a great start:

There’s nothing wrong with this approach. Back in the days, you didn’t need hand-holding and “tutorials” as such, all what was needed is a small starting room, and few simple puzzles (though, it’s not always easy as it seems - I spent dozens of minutes in Edna&Harvey; cell) to get the things going. Monkey Island 2 beginning can be considered as a one “giant” prison cell - and an example of a great design: it teases you with the “outer world” and other islands, potential voyage, gold… that only motivates you to get unstuck from the island.

When you get trapped in the middle of the game (The Whispered World, the Asgil’s village prison, for example) and like Advie said, the puzzle needs to be more challenging and imaginative (since you’re suddenly dealing with a less options), and it’s also a nice change of pace. Even though I “hated” GK2 dressing room the first time, it’s a nice example of a clever “locked room” near the ending, and even the dying and timing event helps bring the tension.

“The designer’s blockage” can be seen on two levels the way I see it: first, you can have a large-scale gameworld, and only at one part of the scenario, you’re trapped and can’t leave a relatively small area until you solve its puzzles:

I don’t know how to picture this, but imagine a gameworld built of circle of “blue” locations that are available to you as a player, and only at one point in the game, you’re forced to solve the “purple” location until you’re back to the open world. The game can have a series of these circles with the occasional designer’s blockage inside it. The Monkey Island series is a nice example, with plenty of locations/islands available to you at a time, and only at one point you’re forced to solve at a certain island/area.

The other approach is a “linear approach”:

basically, the game is built upon series of “purple” designer’s blockage - you’re trapped in a small area, and then once you solve its puzzles, you move to a next similarly small area and so on. Tales of Monkey Island is more close to this approach.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 681

Joined 2015-02-06

PM

Cool theme Advie!

I’ve always enjoyed the At The Beginning type escape puzzles. You get a good feel for how the game will be played and it is in a sense a tutorial without “actually being one” and ruining the immersion. Since it’s usually a small area it’s not too difficult to figure out the first puzzle/escape so the reward is quick and then the true adventure begins!

This message will self destruct in 3… 2… 1… BOOM!!!

Total Posts: 1671

Joined 2014-02-08

PM

Yeah, it’s nice to be trapped in Adventure Game! I especially like those solutions when the way to the freedom can be achieved by using a stone.
Like in these two: Warcraft Adventures & Tales

Total Posts: 294

Joined 2017-01-12

PM

This thread is too 3rd person biased! Grin

To correct this problem, allow me to present some first and 2nd person alternatives.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

I like this puzzle, limited interactions shows the developers imagination.
A couple of ones I remember at the beginning:

Curse of Enchantia - The world’s most incompetent guard, you yell help a couple of times and he just tells you to shut up and loses the key! Smile

Teen Agent - Original solution - Electrocute the captain using the soup

Worst kind if it’s in the middle is when a game has dead ends, I think KQ5 had this.

The designer’s blockage is probably present in most adventures now

Total Posts: 5602

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

In Starship Titanic, there are two locked room situations at the beginning.  At first, you’re in your lovely living room, which you can explore, but the game doesn’t move forward until you put the Titanic disk into the computer on your desk.  After you board the ship, you can’t leave the embarkation lounge until you find the button on the plinth.  After that, the intro rolls and the lights come up, allowing you to begin exploring the ship.

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Total Posts: 5838

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

BitingWit - 23 August 2017 10:43 AM

This thread is too 3rd person biased! Grin

To correct this problem, allow me to present some first and 2nd person alternatives.

Actually Shady Brook is a 1st person perspective game where you play through the eyes of the protagonist who has to find a way of escaping a jail cell. So I’m sure there are other examples from 1st person games at least (I can’t get my head around what a 2nd person one is. Laughing) so please go ahead & present them to address the bias!  Laughing

Total Posts: 655

Joined 2017-04-14

PM

Missing: Episode One starts with you escaping a room.  First person FMV game that they only ever made one episode of.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/354650/MISSING_An_Interactive_Thriller__Episode_One/

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

diego - 22 August 2017 04:29 PM

At the Very Beginning - an oldie but goldie, Countdown:

uhh, this room (game) always gives me the creeps, the gameplaying style, the sound of the protagonist footsteps, the emptiness or absences or any background music or ambient, getting outta of this room was enough for me, i stopped playing standing on the window’s ledge… damn

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top