• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

chrissieLady Kestrel

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Al Emmo rides again

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Nope, not a sequel. Himalaya Studios is offering Enhanced Edition, that will among other things replace main character’s voice and upgrade graphics, like improved cutscenes.

I’m not sure if it was all necessary, but it’s on Steam Greenlight so it might bring the title to a more wider audience. Himalaya will also offer Enhanced Edition free of charge to owners of the original regardless of Greenlight.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 946

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

I liked Al’s voice, it fitted his personality. I realize the game didn’t sell well and I don’t blame the developers for wanting to make some money. Still, changing the voice feels like they’re giving in to a bunch of overly criticial players and that kind of makes me sad.

Now playing: ——-
Recently finished: don’t remember
Up next:  Eh…
Looking forward to:
Ithaka of the Clouds; The Last Crown; all the kickstarter adventure games I supported

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

I agree, the voice grew on me, too. Here’s what they say about it:

“His new voice is much lower, but still retains the essential comical qualities. It was actually a pretty difficult role to recast and we listened to well over 100 auditions from various actors before deciding on the guy who we thought nailed it. The good thing is that he’s managed to keep some familiar character voice traits in place (and he had a lot of coaching while reading the lines) so I feel that it strikes a good middle-ground that will appeal to a wider range of players.”

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 974

Joined 2007-02-23

PM

I love the background art, but wow, the characters look /horrible/ and those portraits only makes things worse.

Total Posts: 880

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

The characters were crap, the Al was not a likeable character (just plain loser) and his voice was just unbearable. At least in ‘the Whispered World’ at least was likeable and bearable.

Stuart Bradley Newsom - Naughty Shinobi || Our Game: Shadow Over Isolation

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

i havnt gotten around to buying this game… I hope the enhanced edition will also include the original voice so i can decide which i like better.

Total Posts: 5838

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

The character of Al Emmo really grew on me throughout the original game so I’m not interested in playing a newer version - it would spoil it for me. But I thought the game deserved to do better than it did so if different voice actors will help to sell the game & appeal to AG fans that were put off by the original voices that’s great news!

Total Posts: 5052

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Al Emmo, as well as others has already been noted on

this thread

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 69

Joined 2007-08-13

PM

Hmm… I was kind of hoping that they would add names for hotspots… because..well.. there was a LOT of random clicking…...

~ Flight Of The Amazon Queen ~ Best Adventure ever!

Total Posts: 198

Joined 2012-08-03

PM

I really hope that they make the new version work on Windows 7. For some reason, I can not play this game on my computer, among some other games made with AGS. Frown

Anticipating:The Devil’s Men

Recently played:GK1 Remake (4), A Golden Wake (3), Child of Light (4) Memento Mori 2 (4) Face Noir (3.5) Tex Murphy: Tesla Effect (4) Blackwell Epiphany (4.5),Broken Sword 5(4.5), The Shivah Remake (4.5), Monkey Island 2 Remake (4.5)

Top 10 Adventure Games:Tex Murphy: Pandora Directive, Gabriel Knight:The Beast Within, Broken Sword:Shadow of the Templars, Gabriel Knight:Sins of the Fathers, Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, Tex Murphy: Under a Killing Moon, Lost Horizon, Grim Fandago, The Longest Journey, Blackwell Epiphany

Total Posts: 69

Joined 2007-08-13

PM

AGS. Abbreviation for: Adventure Game Stopper. (at least feels like it sometimes…)

~ Flight Of The Amazon Queen ~ Best Adventure ever!

Total Posts: 5052

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I guess we’ll see. Although I would think an inquiry to Himalaya would get you a definitive answer. Edit: I just sent a message to Himalaya myself. Whoever gets the fastest answer should post.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Al Emmo 4.0 has been released

I’ve played the demo a little bit, there’s a new voice for Al who sounds a lot like Larry.

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

Hmm, if they’ve indeed replace the voice of “El Ammo”, I’d might give the game another go. I remember the original voice annoyed the crap out of me, and I was unable to play the game Tongue

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Personally I hated Al Emmo’s voice, but there was bigger issues in the game that made me dislike it. Frankly I just didn’t think it was at all well written and the jokes just missed me by a mile. All in all it was a pretty disappointing experience after theit fantastic King’s Quest remakes. Al Emmo tried far too hard to be western Larry and that just didn’t work out.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top