• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Other → Chit Chat → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

CaliMonk

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

What’s the number in this pic?

Total Posts: 2454

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

Laughing

I just saw it and I felt like I was entering The Matrix.

Total Posts: 5599

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

One of the things I’ve never been able to do is see the image in those colorful pictures that were popular quite a few years ago.  Due to my lazy right eye, my vision is essentially monocular.  The 3D glasses in movies never worked for me either.

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Lady Kestrel - 18 February 2022 02:17 PM

One of the things I’ve never been able to do is see the image in those colorful pictures that were popular quite a few years ago.

You mean things like this?

I’ve never been able to see the images in these either. I also had a lazy eye when I was little. Spent over a year with one of those stickers. Got it fixed, but my vision will never be 20/20. Which might explain it.

For the image here, if someone actually can see the hidden image, did you get the reference? Tongue

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 5599

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Yes, that’s the kind of picture I mean.  I had a whole book of them but couldn’t see the underlying image even when I knew what it was.  I wore an eye patch when I was 8 yrs. old, but I kept peeking because I just couldn’t see the board or even read with my good eye covered.  I never had surgery.  My parents couldn’t afford it when I was a kid, and as an adult, my insurance coverage a considers it cosmetic, so I never bothered.

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

The lazy eye problem makes sense bc seeing depth is what those pics (and also the keyboard) are about. The yellow pic shows a sailing ship with a red-and-white flag in one of the masts, 3 tiny dolphins bottom left and two tiny palm trees bottom right.

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Karlok - 18 February 2022 08:00 PM

The yellow pic shows a sailing ship with a red-and-white flag in one of the masts, 3 tiny dolphins bottom left and two tiny palm trees bottom right.

Sounds right. I’ll have to take your word for it, I can’t see it myself… Tongue

I specifically searched for one with a sailboat.

As a Mallrats reference.

Seriously. Grin

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

TimovieMan - 18 February 2022 09:07 PM

I specifically searched for one with a sailboat.

It’s not a boat, it’s a yellow sailing SHIP! A yellow SCHOONER!

As a Mallrats reference.

Seriously. Grin

LOL! I can see why you chose a ship.  Cool

PS: If there’s a sailboat hidden in that grey pic Willem is looking at I’ll eat my hat.

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

I see a Jackson Pollock. Grin

Karlok - 18 February 2022 09:21 PM

PS: If there’s a sailboat hidden in that grey pic Willem is looking at I’ll eat my hat.

Apparently, it’s just a bunch of geometric shapes in a grid, a bit like those block puzzles for toddlers.

Either the director didn’t think people would actually pause the image to look at it, or everyone in-universe is just trolling poor Willam. Grin

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

TimovieMan - 19 February 2022 05:44 AM

I see a Jackson Pollock. Grin

Correct!

Apparently, it’s just a bunch of geometric shapes in a grid, a bit like those block puzzles for toddlers.

Either the director didn’t think people would actually pause the image to look at it, or everyone in-universe is just trolling poor Willam. Grin

Hat consumption - averted.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

TimovieMan - 19 February 2022 05:44 AM

Toddlers are smart, they love brightly colored blocks, not boring gray ones.

The gray pic doesn’t have enough details for a ship, in contrast to your outstanding yellow one. Which makes me think the director let us in on a joke: “Hey, we all know there can’t be a sailboat hidden in the pic. Let’s have some fun with this idiot.”

Vegetable Party - 19 February 2022 11:18 AM

Hat consumption - averted.

Stereogram images don’t work on mobile phones, too small, so I checked later on my computer. Even so I was sure I wouldn’t have to eat any hat.

PS: Timovieman, I know there used to be some kind of software for people who can’t see the 3D images, like you and LadyKestrel. If I find it I’ll post the link.

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Karlok - 19 February 2022 07:13 PM

PS: Timovieman, I know there used to be some kind of software for people who can’t see the 3D images, like you and LadyKestrel. If I find it I’ll post the link.

I tried looking for that yesterday but didn’t find any. Today I searched for “Magic Eye” instead of stereogram and autostereogram, and I came across this:

https://magiceye.ecksdee.co.uk/

Still didn’t give me the complete picture, because it has WAY more depth than the simple image I was expecting, but by moving the slider back and forth I at least got to see most of it. FAR more elaborate than I’d have figured. There’s a LOT of sails, a mountain range in the distance, even that dolphin in front of it was no joke… Gasp

Plus I got a good chuckle out of seeing “Schooner” among the “test images” at that site. The solution is a bunch of geometrical shapes in a grid.
Kevin Smith / Mallrats fans, apparently. Grin

I also came across this:

Stereopsis — or depth from retinal disparity — is a perceptual ability that develops between about three months and four years of age. It requires both eyes being able to lock the eye’s fovea on targets at a specific distance.  Things closer than that object will be displaced away from the fovea on the retina of each eye relative to the distance of that near object from the object you are actually looking at.

The brain uses this location disparity to calculate the objects depth because it follows simple rules of physics and geometry. It can tell objects in front of the target from objects behind the target by whether the retinal images are displaced on the same side — ie. to the left in the left eye and to the right in the right eye — or are “crossed” (ie to the right in the left eye and to the left in the right eye).

This skill develops with experience with objects in the world, but it requires the eyes to work properly.

People with lazy eye (strabismus) have two eyes that do not easily lock on to the same object.  One (dominant) eye will do this job while the other either looks off to the side or wanders.  The brain ignores this unreliable eye and just uses the dominant one for obtaining information about the world, but because both eyes are not working together, the brain does not develop stereopsis.

If uncorrected before about four years of age, the critical period finishes and so even if you correct it later, the brain has finished with that development and won’t then correct. The person will never ever have stereopsis.  They will be ‘stereo blind’. These people will not see magic eye pictures, red/green glasses based stereograms, 3D stereo movies etc.

Both eyes work fine, but the brain just can’t use the information to calculate depth.

Seems legit. My lazy eye got fixed when I was five.

Not a complete loss, though. I can still see the depth in 3D movies, as well as on the Nintendo 3DS.
Just not stereograms… Smile

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

TimovieMan - 19 February 2022 08:44 PM

I tried looking for that yesterday but didn’t find any. Today I searched for “Magic Eye” instead of stereogram and autostereogram, and I came across this:

https://magiceye.ecksdee.co.uk/

Good for you. I found the old site with 3D pics I was thinking of but the viewer is no longer there. https://hidden-3d.com/

Still didn’t give me the complete picture, because it has WAY more depth than the simple image I was expecting, but by moving the slider back and forth I at least got to see most of it. FAR more elaborate than I’d have figured. There’s a LOT of sails, a mountain range in the distance, even that dolphin in front of it was no joke… Gasp

Yeah, it’s a real nice and detailed one. Some pics jump out at me in like 2 seconds, but this one was blurry for a while. I saw depth, I could tell it was ship, but somehow I couldn’t get the focus quite right.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Other → Chit Chat → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top