• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Community Playthrough #75: The Neverhood

Total Posts: 4283

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

I still wonder about this:

It could always be worse, remember that.
mjp

Total Posts: 5054

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Before the thread gets unpinned, I need to give a shout-out to Karlok for leading the playthrough. Even though the cost of the game was too far above my pay grade to join, I thoroughly enjoyed reading/following everyone else’s progress. Well done!

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

Does anyone know in which part of the game are “Hose Feliciano” and “Homina Homina” tracks played?

I don’t recognise that scene.

mjp

Total Posts: 5619

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

My Imaginarium album says that “Jose Faliciano” (sic) is non vocal.  “Homina Homina” is familiar to me but I can’t pinpoint the location.  If you think the lyrics would help, they’re on my cd insert.

Difficult roads often lead to beautiful destinations.

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

Thanks, Lady K. I have the same album (with booklet and lyrics), but it doesn’t help.
Homina, homina rings a bell, still I can’t remember where in the game I stumbled upon it.

mjp

Total Posts: 7466

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

I’m back. My apologies to everyone still reading this threas. I will post my final comments tonight.

PROM, NAPOL, PROM! - The Rise of the Golden Idol

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

Yesssss! Grin

mjp

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

The game is much shorter than I thought. (Of course I had to spend much more time on most puzzles during my first playthrough.) Getting stuck and walking around looking for a hint or solution takes a lot of extra time.

Somehow I “knew” the puzzles in the third part were easy, but I didn’t recognize any puzzle, let alone the solution. Twenty years is a long time. So the entire part after the teddy bear felt fresh to me, which was unexpected and very nice. Hey, there’s that flytrap again!

I did remember both endings. Black and white, good and evil. It’s okay in this type of game, I guess. Simple story. The good ending is still too long, too predictable and too sappy for my taste.

I always learn something new in a CPT, even when it’s one of my favorite games. And this one was no exception. I used a few of Willie’s hints in my first playthrough but I had no idea you got scolded for asking too many hints, that was very funny. Klogg’s red messages were also totally new to me. I have to thank Zobraks for that. Here are the ones I liked best:

All in all, The Neverhood with its graphics, music, animations, cut scenes has aged very well. Hardly any wrinkles. I’m very glad I replayed it with all of you. I should do that more often with my old favorites.

PS: Thanks to Doom, I’m going to watch Skullmonkeys on youtube.  Cool

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

zobraks - 18 November 2022 08:49 AM
Karlok - 02 November 2022 06:09 AM

Nobody else mentioned having trouble with the part after the sound puzzle

Would you please remind me which part it was we were supposed to have trouble with.

Yes, well…
As it turned out, I’m the only one who had trouble with that part. On my second playthrough. Shifty Eyed 
I meant climbing the spikes in the room with the knock-knock guy to the room above. Which can only be done if the spikes are closed in the Hall of Records. I predicted people would not see the connection. I was wrong.

Speaking of trouble, is the fly-creature in the hole in the ceiling of the floor of the House of Whistles *whew! - that was a mouthfull* (the hole that opens when you pull a string hanging from the ceiling) relevant for the gameplay in any way, or is it just a red herring?

It’s a very nice, but utterly meaningless extra. I would not call it a red herring.

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

Karlok - 30 November 2022 07:08 PM

The game is much shorter than I thought.

I agree. At first (this time around) I wandered how I managed to finish The Neverhood in only five days (back in 2005) - I supposed I had been cheating Tongue - but once I started to really play it (and look for the in-game nudges) it ended pretty soon.

Although the game doesn’t take a player by the hand and you don’t have a clue what you’re doing at the start of it, I think it provides a lot of help for an observing adventurer.

Somehow I “knew” the puzzles in the third part were easy, but I didn’t recognize any puzzle, let alone the solution.

Ditto. I hardly remembered anything from the joining two parts of the Neverhood together onward.
I even forgot about the teleporting thingamajigs.

The good ending is still too long, too predictable and too sappy for my taste.

It had a few nice touches though:

I also liked Hoborg scratching his butt (not unlike Homer Simpson) right after Klaymen woke him up by placing the crown on his head.

I always learn something new in a CPT, even when it’s one of my favorite games.

Me too, and I shared most of the discoveries here.

Klogg’s red messages were also totally new to me. I have to thank Zobraks for that.

You’re welcome. I didn’t know about Klogg’s letters before too, but I kept coming back to the mailbox from each and every point in the game and once I reached the castle there they were.

I’m proud I have the screenshots of ALL Willie’s hints (21 of them).
I also have the 10 spam letters, of course.

mjp

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

I forgot to thank Karlok for leading this thing, so I do it now. It’s always a pleasure to take part in a playthrough when she’s around.

Speaking of being around, what happened to Karlok?

mjp

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

zobraks - 14 December 2022 03:09 AM

I forgot to thank Karlok for leading this thing, so I do it now. It’s always a pleasure to take part in a playthrough when she’s around.

Heart Eyes

Speaking of being around, what happened to Karlok?

All our lines are currently busy. Please hold.

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

Sheesh. I’m glad you’re alive and kicking. Smile

Where did you get that nice picture with Klaymen and Weasel?
How can a crab be a weasel?

mjp

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

That crabby weasel pic is concept art by Tennapel. From The Neverhood: Inside Moves by Leslie Mizell. It consists of 3 parts: A nice walkthrough with illustrations in black-and-white and a few pages of color photos, mostly scenes from the game. The entire Chronicles text in the Hall of Records. Cool The Making Of, including an interview with the devs. No new info there.

I wish I’d remembered at the start of the CPT that I still had this relic from my collector’s days, it would have made more sense to post the concept art while we were still playing. Anyway, here’s another fun piece of concept art in color.

PS: In the interview Dietz confessed that he’d never read the Chronicles all the way through.  Smile

PPS: I’m surprised this thread is still pinned. Let’s make room for the next CPT.

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

Karlok - 15 December 2022 08:37 AM

The Neverhood: Inside Moves by Leslie Mizell

Hey, I never heard about that book before. Good catch.

Thanks for the picture!

P.S. Your latest avatar is great.

mjp

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top