• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Sefir

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Incantamentum (by Cloak and Dagger games) is now The Excavation of Hob’s Barrow

Total Posts: 1655

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

St_Eddie - 31 October 2022 04:15 PM
Jdawg445 - 26 October 2022 01:31 PM

well considering the game fades to black when she’s describingwhat the devil looks like, in all its horror I would say that’s a pretty big attraction

But that was almost certainly a creative decision, as opposed to a result of workload restrictions.  I really admired that we never see the demon.  Our imagination is far more powerful than anything the developers could have come up with.  By the by, it’s not the Devil.  It’s the Pagan demon Abraxus .

Maybe, the other 7 times were most def not creative choices. Just not a fan of it. Yeah know he is associated with Gnosticism

Total Posts: 410

Joined 2018-09-09

PM

Jdawg445 - 31 October 2022 08:47 PM

Maybe, the other 7 times were most def not creative choices. Just not a fan of it.

Oh, absolutely.  The fade to black during item usage was 100% done to avoid animating the characters and it irked me too.  However, the lack of visual for the demon was purely a creative choice, I feel and it worked wonderfully, in my opinion.

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

St_Eddie - 31 October 2022 10:16 PM
Jdawg445 - 31 October 2022 08:47 PM

Maybe, the other 7 times were most def not creative choices. Just not a fan of it.

Oh, absolutely.  The fade to black during item usage was 100% done to avoid animating the characters and it irked me too.  The lack of visual for the demon was purely a creature choice, I feel and it worked wonderfully, in my opinion.

Yes because in still form this game is beautiful. But maybe they are not the best animators the only reason I say that is when you give the rotten apple to the little girl to juggle, that animation look really wonky but at least it showed it

Total Posts: 23

Joined 2009-04-08

PM

i finished the game a few days ago. by the way i bought and played and finished all games produced or distributed by wadjet eye games Smile

i found this game to be very good also.

i have an ideea about the ending. so spoiler:

maybe thomasina in fact really found the healing, the saving for her father by digging out bob`s harrow. she realised that she has to kill her father and this way he saved him from his terrible state of not being able to move or speak

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

I like your more positive interpretation of the ending but that’s not what Thomasina writes in the letter to her mother. And if it’s a mercy killing, why use violence.

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Joined 2009-04-08

PM

Karlok - 30 January 2023 06:57 AM

I like your more positive interpretation of the ending but that’s not what Thomasina writes in the letter to her mother. And if it’s a mercy killing, why use violence.

hmmm i forgot what Thomasina wrote in the letter to her mother. Smile))

but maybe it was with violence because in those moments Thomasina wasnt herself, but actually possesed by whatever she found in that grave. idk maybe im rambling here but im thinking like thomasina at some point started to think that digging that grave will save her father. and in the end it actually killed him, which could maybe be seen as his saving, ending his terrible state of being unable to move or speak. a terrible state in which he would have continued to be if thomasina would not have dug hob`s barrow

Joined 2009-04-08

PM

by the way, im happy the producers decided to abandon the incantamentum name, its terrible and pretentious and i am so sick and tired of all these games with latin inspired words.

the excavation of hob`s barrow is so much better for a title of a game than incantawhatevermenum

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

small dickie - 07 February 2023 08:17 AM

hmmm i forgot what Thomasina wrote in the letter to her mother. Smile))

Here it is: “I did not kill father. It was He that guided my hand. I was in thrall to that most malevolent force. Abraxas! He has had His revenge.”

but maybe it was with violence because in those moments Thomasina wasnt herself, but actually possesed by whatever she found in that grave. idk maybe im rambling here but im thinking like thomasina at some point started to think that digging that grave will save her father. and in the end it actually killed him, which could maybe be seen as his saving, ending his terrible state of being unable to move or speak. a terrible state in which he would have continued to be if thomasina would not have dug hob`s barrow

Yeah, in the end her father’s release from his terrible state is good. For him, for everybody. It’s Abraxus part in it and Thomasina’s fate that makes it bitter. Maybe I would have preferred a real mercy killing by Thomasina when she knows what happened, and realizes her father will never get better. But the actual ending is of course more fitting to a horror game.

by the way, im happy the producers decided to abandon the incantamentum name, its terrible and pretentious and i am so sick and tired of all these games with latin inspired words.

the excavation of hob`s barrow is so much better for a title of a game than incantawhatevermenum

Absolutely. I didn’t like the Latin chapter titles and the Latin puzzles also annoyed me.

Total Posts: 1263

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

Well, I understand you as English has nothing to do with latin (well, with some exceptions). I have no problem with Latin (well, except when I had to study it at high school haha)

Incantamentum sounded great for me. Then again, Romans conquered us and founded Hispania so we are more familiar to it.

Currently translating Strangeland into Spanish. Wish me luck, or send me money to my Paypal haha

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

The Latin made sense to me in context of the story so I like it there and in the puzzles. but I agree with the name change hob’s barrow is just easier to type in and remember the name of.

Total Posts: 124

Joined 2023-10-03

PM

I finished it a little while ago, but man, it had been stuck in my mind all that time, a few adventures that made me feel that way, and I mean wanting to replay it as soon as it was over, and not for just trying different choices or seeing another ending or outcome, but to just engage again in that experience, which by far the most mature and serious adventure I have played lately.

I imagine many would say it is on the casual side or it is a story-driven adventure, which is true, but all that doesn’t undermine how great adventure it is, the only downside that really bothered me was how short it was, or maybe how it left me wanting more is just a testament to its greatness.

Hope to see more from Cloak and Dagger, I can’t wait to see them kickstart a big project because I am all in.  Heart

A1

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Luckyloser, I enjoyed this game a lot. We had a community playthrough earlier this year. If you’re interested in reading our comments, go to: https://adventuregamers.com/forums/viewthread/15941/

Total Posts: 124

Joined 2023-10-03

PM

Thumbs Up
I haven’t even noticed that even while I was still lurking.

It must have been a treat.

A1

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top