• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

skeeter_93

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AGs trends through the years

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Yep ..
Features and Improvements which almost always had been a kind breakthrough ,and to be followed until they become a must ... that easily might be forgotten when/who came up with them at first..

Its always when i do think or recall some certain titles which had their impact on the scene either by adding a new trend and to be followed until whenever! that makes me crave for something new ,creative .. not to change the concept of traditional adventure but to add to it…
and these titles or features (which becomes a trend) are to anyone to argue about .

i am not suggesting the great games or the best Adventures i am trying to figure and target those which made the difference like if i recall Maniac Mansion we know its the 1st to use verbs instead of (for instance) Colossal Cave’s the 1st adventure and the 1st to use texting to the 1st to use Graphics ;Mystery House and so on ..

do i wish to survey the 35 years (more or less) of adventure gaming through those changes and the trends that were ever made until today.. i am not sure!... but it would be nice to make a research about that one day .. but what is important is look at the new trends that had impact over the genre in the past few years!
is it that retro look rising or is it the great number indies developers/Adventures to be seen .. even maybe the (modern) navigating style Adventures of Portal or those mini games that had been added too much to almost every adventure lately?..
again i am not so sure
there had been some kind of low creativity in the past years , yea there is good production nevertheless the Kickstarters .. , but the latter we still gotta wait and see!, not if they just succeeded but if they will rise with genre again ..etc

Back at the 80’s and 90’s we would see all those kind of trends massively wither we talk of Myst (Myst’ Style) or FMV’s (Phantasmagoria trend) even Grim Fandango’s keys Controlling (or were there was a title that came before?) which i do consider it a trend same as Tunguska Hotspot Reveler ...but anyways…

this post which is more to a note than an inquiry ...i see New trends (creativeness)  had always were that sort of fresh air that kept pushing the genre through positive competitions , and going up with the Games style or the budget need to satisfy more numbers of players and wide spectators… maybe even it is the secret of the Genre success .
even if were not followed or diminished as soon they were out.

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

I believe Simon the Sorcerer 2 was the first game to introduce a hotspot-finder. Though it wasn’t seen again until many years later, it has certainly become a trend in modern adventures.

Maniac Mansion, apart from being the game to introduce the verb interface, wasn’t that also the first adventure game that didn’t have any deaths in it? (Not sure about this one).

I read that Grim Fandango was the first adventure game to use real-time 3D, which leaves me wondering what the difference is between 3D and real-time 3D?

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Dag - 14 March 2013 07:49 PM

Maniac Mansion, apart from being the game to introduce the verb interface, wasn’t that also the first adventure game that didn’t have any deaths in it? (Not sure about this one).

Maniac Mansion did have deaths (but since there were multiple characters, you could still continue - until everybody died), and it did have dead ends, but there were significantly less than in other games from that period (and older)...

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top