• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Art of Sierra book - no news in years?

Total Posts: 358

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Hope this is ok to post here. It relates to adventure game art.

Years ago a project called Art of Sierra (http://artofsierra.com) was announced, but I haven’t heard anything new about it in a long time.

Is this only going to come in an expensive hardcover form?

What is the purpose of the project? If one of the main purposes is to pay tribute to the Sierra artists, then wouldn’t a less expensive or even free digital compilation of all this art be able to be seen and enjoyed by vastly more people?

It is sad to think that much original Sierra material was lost when the company closed. There was a lot of important and influential work created by Sierra artists, and I think increasing access and exposure to what art has been saved and compiled by this project would be better than limiting access to a relatively small number of people who are able to get a physical copy of this book or letting it all be hoarded by people lucky who have been lucky enough to get their hands on original copies of the art through EBay over the years.

Finally, if you read this, thank you to the people working on this project. We hope you consider making the art as accessible as possible to as many fans as possible. I decided to post here to get the thoughts of other adventure game fans.

Total Posts: 132

Joined 2007-02-10

PM

Quest1 - 14 March 2013 05:41 AM

Is this only going to come in an expensive hardcover form?

I’d think that would be the best way to get it (assuming they have a decent print run) -  it’s not exactly difficult to get Sierra art in a digital format, just play a game Grin

Seems like the perfect use of a Kickstarter; sad it hasn’t transpired yet.  Guess the guys are busy with Hero’s U and all that other work coming their way.

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

I’d think that would be the best way to get it (assuming they have a decent print run) -  it’s not exactly difficult to get Sierra art in a digital format, just play a game

Apparently there is a lot of concept art, as well as original paintings, sketches and other unseen material that gamers would not have access to just from playing the games. That is what really makes the collection worthwhile.

Total Posts: 132

Joined 2007-02-10

PM

Quest1 - 14 March 2013 06:42 AM

You are right, but apparently there is a lot of concept art and original paintings that gamers would not have access to justice from playing the games. That is what really makes the collection worthwhile.

I’d guess they will make a PDF available - these sorts of projects usually do Smile 

I don’t necessary think they should give it away for free given the labour involved in pulling it all together but a cheap $5-10 price for it would make it pretty accessible, I think?  (plus there will probably be illegal scans of it for people who aren’t interest enough to even pay that).

I’m enough of a nerd to want to get a hardcover book for it though - I do hope that after all the Hero U/Mage’s Initiation/Quest for Infamy work is done they get working on it more seriously.  My coffee table is barren Meh

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Maybe a kickstarter campaign with a moderately small goal would cover such costs, and then make it possible to provide the compilation to people for free in a digital form? I don’t know what the legal issues are, though.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

It could work in a kickstarter like the sensible software book

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

wilco - 14 March 2013 07:36 AM

It could work in a kickstarter like the sensible software book

Is that book only available in print? Something like that would be great, though I’d love to see a digital version.

I’m not as interested in the “presentation” of the material as much as I am in just getting the material out there and accessible by fans.

You know what I’d really love? A Sierra film documentary. Hopefully that happens someday. There is so much history, and I think it would be great to preserve on film lots of first-person accounts of the early days and “golden years” of Sierra.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top