• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Jdawg445

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Himalaya Studios launched Mage’s Initiation Kickstarter

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

I think the safest route, if you’d want to avoid cease and desist, would be to ask similar fan license from Activiosn that AGD had for KQ/QFG2. But I’ve understood those are difficult to get and most just risk it, as it’s pretty unlikley to arouse Activisions interest.

Total Posts: 132

Joined 2007-02-10

PM

Monolith - 17 March 2013 04:17 PM

I feel that if QFG5 wasn’t developed for the sole purpose of using new technology, leading to exponentially new features, the game could of done real well.

I thought the huge downer about QFG5 is how it had such a bland setting.  2-4 had the relatively unique Arabian Nights/African jungle/Eastern European settings you don’t get in many games, then everything moved to an incredibly inconsistent generic fantasy world.

I think the killer “hook” was supposed to be the multiplayer, with heroes competing against each other, which could have actually made for a unique concept but there was absolutely nothing new or exciting about the game, unfortunately, even with a remake. 

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

The problem with QFG5 was that it followed in the footsteps of QFG3 stylistically, which was also a very problematic game. Theres no question they had to try some new things with the combat.. since there really isnt a single qfg with “good” combat. And 4 had the worst combat in the series. But just like 3, qfg5 had too much scope, underdeveloped puzzles, and plenty of glitches.
for me an overall ranking would go somthing like:
2>4>1>5>3

Total Posts: 880

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

Like I said, the game was very complex. Liek QFG3, these games were more RPG than Adventure meaning every relied on complex formulas and wide open worlds to explore. It isn’t a problem, but it very different from every other QFG game. My favorite QFG will always be 4, as it was Cthulhuian on top of being a great balance between RPG and adventure.

Also I want to point out, I REALLY hate the ‘hey look i’m an obvious computer generated scene’ look. Nothing beats todays graphics technology or yesterdays aesthetic design. Thats why I love both next-gen adventures and classics that utilize 2d painted characters and environments. The inbetween era was just terrible. QFG5, Kings Quest 8, Gabriel Knight 3. The latter being a great game before it should of been made.

I still wished that one programmer finished the GK3 toolset so I can go ahead and made high resolution models for. You know, the engine wasn’t all that complex, I think I can openly hack it to allow for modern visuals.

Stuart Bradley Newsom - Naughty Shinobi || Our Game: Shadow Over Isolation

Total Posts: 358

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Most of you probably already know, but Mage’s Initiation adventure game/RPG Kickstarter campaign only has 3 days left. It is only about $14.5K away from a stretch goal for Mac, Linux and mobile platform ports. I really hope it reaches this goal. If you haven’t already, please consider backing the game. This one has got some great backer rewards!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2112639455/mages-initiation-a-classic-sierra-style-adventure

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top