• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Abhi D.CaliMonkJdawg445

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Kathy Rain Directors Cut unofficial CPT

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

millenia - 18 November 2021 01:46 AM
rtrooney - 16 November 2021 03:30 PM

Not sure where you got that number. Well I do know. It’s in the math book, but there is nothing I saw that made it stand out from any of the other numbers.

The grandpa mentions flowers somewhere, probably in the recording, 3 red, 1 blue and 2 yellow. The math book has bookmarks responding to those colors. So you take 3 prime numbers, 1 from fibonacci and 2 from pi - if I recalled them correctly now. It’s not random at all.

I feel strongly that Kathy is a female Gabriel Knight, both in good and bad. I probably gave more slack to Gabriel because his adventure actually came out in 90s while Kathy’s is a call back to them.

Aside from the bike, snark and certain self-centeredness there are many plot similarities:
writer background
meeting grandma and asking about the tragic past of grandpa
grandpa’s secrets in the attic
nightmares

It’s almost like Kathy Rain is the Gabriel Knight 4 game we never got. Good for us. I know we now mostly get indies today and games like Thimble Weed Park and Kathy Rain are the norm…….while I do miss the amazing graphics we had in games like Haunted. The plot, characters and stories in today’s indies more than make up for it.

Here’s hoping we get a Whispers of a Machine directors cut too.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 5057

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

For those of us in the US, this coming Thursday is Thanksgiving, a national holiday. It entails much festivity, lots of cooking and eating. More than a fair amount of drinking. Plus, the Friday following Thanksgiving is known as Black Friday. It’s when people hit the stores en masse to take advantage of the best sales of the year. Time to stock up on all the Christmas presents you can get your hands on. Seeing as that present for your mother-in-law, and all the others on your list, is probably residing in a container, on a ship waiting off the coast of the Port of Los Angeles, good luck with finding what you need.

I will not be in the stores. For the same reason I don’t go on a bender on New Year’s Eve. Nor Do I drink Guinness to excess on St Patrick’s day.

So, what is my plan for the coming week? First, because everything is likely to be a bit chaotic before and after the holiday, I’m going to start day three. Play whenever I have a chance, and hope I won’t be too far behind when the real day three starts. Which I guess might be Saturday.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

Played the second day. It seemed to go rather fast, but then again I wasn’t stuck at all, still remembering the outlines of the puzzles from the last playthrough.

Again I totally missed that there were any changes. I guess it did feel a bit weird how Kathy talked with Eileen about the abortion, but then again the dialogue option about “the donor” seemed very familiar to me.

Kathy is a lot more likeable in this chapter, the relationship with Eileen is nice. And it might have helped that I chose more polite dialogue options myself.

While I was comparing Kathy and the whole game to Gabriel Knight, I never intended to hint that Kathy Rain would be “ripping off” GK in any way. Adventures adopt good puzzle and game mechanics, and like to nod back at old classics, it’s all good. In this chapter we had a compile-a-recording puzzle like in GK2, but that was a good puzzle to reutilize.

And I’m not a biker, though I did think motorbikes were cool when I was younger, and was a passenger for some rides. (These days I have an aversion to motor vehicles, they’re so loud, hazardous, polluting and take up so much space everywhere.)

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

It is now Thursday again. Let’s do day 3 now. You have until next Thursday to reach day 4.

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

I went ahead and continued the game from last night and finished day 3 already. It seemed a bit longer and required some going back and forth but it’s still been a very streamlined experience. Again I am quite unsure what has been added to the game, I guess I’ll just have to continue to listen to others and appreciate the - most likely - improvements.

We met the Red Man already in the end of day 2 and I recalled the Mystery Man from Lost Highway.

And it seems in day 3 the Red Man is telling me the same exact thing Mystery mand did.

I like odd characters and mysteries. Years back I used to be very much into mythology and loved how they implemented voodoo being real or the Christian myths in Indy movies for example. But now I notice that I much prefer the magical realism or sci-fi approach, where there is no handbook about the mystery - it is actually unknown. (Though certainly sci-fi plots can be very cliché and that way follow a very much already known patterns.)

Considering the mystery, at this moment I’m feeling the similiraties with Oxenfree - which is a good thing.

Kathy was being an ass electrocuting poor Goober, as I’m quite sure less drastic measures would have sufficed, but at least she felt bad about it like she should.

I wonder if I should mention some suspicions or speculations as they might not be actual observations as much as memories of the earlier playthrough. Are some people here playing the game for the first time?

Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Despite my intentions to get ahead of the game, RL kicked in and I made zero progress in getting to the end of day three. Schedule looks a little overwhelming for the coming week. Hope not to fall too far behind.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

millenia - 25 November 2021 07:20 PM

I went ahead and continued the game from last night and finished day 3 already. It seemed a bit longer and required some going back and forth but it’s still been a very streamlined experience. Again I am quite unsure what has been added to the game, I guess I’ll just have to continue to listen to others and appreciate the - most likely - improvements.

We met the Red Man already in the end of day 2 and I recalled the Mystery Man from Lost Highway.

And it seems in day 3 the Red Man is telling me the same exact thing Mystery mand did.

I like odd characters and mysteries. Years back I used to be very much into mythology and loved how they implemented voodoo being real or the Christian myths in Indy movies for example. But now I notice that I much prefer the magical realism or sci-fi approach, where there is no handbook about the mystery - it is actually unknown. (Though certainly sci-fi plots can be very cliché and that way follow a very much already known patterns.)

Considering the mystery, at this moment I’m feeling the similiraties with Oxenfree - which is a good thing.

Kathy was being an ass electrocuting poor Goober, as I’m quite sure less drastic measures would have sufficed, but at least she felt bad about it like she should.

I wonder if I should mention some suspicions or speculations as they might not be actual observations as much as memories of the earlier playthrough. Are some people here playing the game for the first time?

I also finished day 3. Also, I just love day 3. Some very funny scenes here. I didn’t catch many changes from the original release, one puzzle looked slightly different. It’s a great day, it’s does lead us into day 4, where things get very, very interesting………can’t wait, Here is hoping everyone else playing along enjoys this day as much as I did.

Heart

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

The days have been packed. Which is to say I’ve not been able to put in even an hour of gameplay since last Thursday. To top off the regular RL stuff, I took a tumble taking out the trash last night. Got distracted and tripped over a crack in the sidewalk that I have stepped over literally a thousand times before. Sprained ankle, bruised and scuffed hand and knee.

Will try to get in some play tomorrow. But I will be behind, and will need to catch up.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Here’s something I’ve always wondered. If Kathy Rain HAD been released in the 90s, would it have been a big hit?

I myself believe it would have been. I would have loved it too. A big box with a color instruction guide and a CD. I miss those days sometimes.

Heart

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Well, today was actually Wednesday. But I’ve still not be able to start day three, so I’m still far behind.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

It is now Thursday yet again. Let’s do day 4 now. You have until next Thursday to reach day 5.

I must note that this is when the story gets VERY interesting…….

Enjoy

Heart

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

Adv_Lvr - 30 November 2021 10:24 PM

Here’s something I’ve always wondered. If Kathy Rain HAD been released in the 90s, would it have been a big hit?

I myself believe it would have been. I would have loved it too. A big box with a color instruction guide and a CD. I miss those days sometimes.

Heart

Yea I think the game would have been a success back then. But it would also have required a lot bigger budget to reach the same quality of art and sound. I’m very glad that these days small teams and even one man projects can reach such great standards because of the technology available. Many great stories and ideas can be done these days that could not have been made earlier (at least not without some extreme measures) - and can be easily spread around the world digitally.

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Well, I finished day 4, and what a day it was. Very different from the original Kathy Rain. And I mean that in a good way. Better puzzles and more to do in the Directors Cut. It’s also easier to understand the plot also. At this point I have to give this version a 5 out of 5.

Can’t wait for day 5 but I’ll have too…

Heart

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

millenia - 02 December 2021 05:27 PM
Adv_Lvr - 30 November 2021 10:24 PM

Heart

Yea I think the game would have been a success back then. But it would also have required a lot bigger budget to reach the same quality of art and sound. I’m very glad that these days small teams and even one man projects can reach such great standards because of the technology available. Many great stories and ideas can be done these days that could not have been made earlier (at least not without some extreme measures) - and can be easily spread around the world digitally.

Yea, the indies we get today are nothing short of amazing. Excellent characters and plot among other things. And today there is quite a bit of variety in the type of adventure game too, FMV for example has really made a comeback. It’s a great time to be playing adventure games, for sure.

Also, we do still get a fair amount of AA releases too. The latest Syberia game is releasing early 2022.

Heart

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Day three. I still haven’t started it. Other constraints indicate I may not get to it in the near future. So, not to fall further behind I decided to watch Day three on YouTube. Maybe there was a subliminal recollection of the original game, but this Day was incredibly boring. Even the guy posting the WT couldn’t figure out what he was supposed to do. There was nothing I saw in this episode that, as far as I could see, hinted at new material.

I may continue by playing YouTube WTs for the rest of the PT. I just don’t have the time to play the game as it was meant to be played.

I will certainly finish the game when time permits.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top