• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

CaliMonk

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

What game are you playing right now?

Total Posts: 2072

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

jsfx, I was more or less in the same boat as yourself when I discovered Gabriel Knight around the 2000s, some 10 years after its initial release, without knowing a thing about the series nor its developer. By that time I was also used to more technologically advanced games, it felt too pixelated and unintuitive to be enjoyable, and I quit soon. After some time I exhausted all other options and returned. And the more I played, the more I loved it. So much talent was invested into writing, directing, designing puzzles; all of them exist to advance the storyline which gets more exciting with each chapter. Today it’s among my favourite adventures, along with GK3. It absolutely qualifies among the best of the best, nothing comes close in terms of writing/design today, unfortunately.

As for the bias towards specific devs — it’s not bias, LucasArts and Sierra were objectively the biggest and most important adventure developers who produced lots and lots of top-quality games which inspire developers up to this day. They can’t be matched, and it’s just natural to see many of their games appear in every single top.

diego - 19 January 2024 09:33 AM

It’s not just a reminder of better times, it’s a list of (more or less) objectively highest quality games produced up to 2012, and great list to have by your side both for veterans of the genre and newcomers. From 2012 onward, there are only handful of games that could infiltrate the list, like

You are right, of course, the top was clearly a result of very hard work by all the original AG team who knew their genre. Portal’s example alone — one of the few games that got a perfect score at the time btw - clearly shows that they weren’t stuck in the past (even though I completely disagree with the inclusion of those games)). I would’ve gladly changed around 20-30 positions if it was up to me, but then it’s just me. Although my list of newer games that qualify for the list would be completely different compared to yours)

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 1660

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

jsfx - 19 January 2024 01:42 PM

It doesn’t make a lot of sense trying to argue based on exceptions whilst stats and valid reasons prove you wrong, it’s Jaws vs. ... and younger people might already tell you, whilst Jaws is good, they did enjoy The Shallows more. Films I enjoy are scattered over more than 130 years. In general, due the reasons I’ve mentioned, and the increase of productions: The earlier the fewer, whilst certain years and decades, according to your taste and because they stood out or were put down, can be stronger or weaker. If you’re an 80s guy, you probably enjoy 80s movies, same with directors.

Opinions of others are interesting but mostly have no influence on how much I enjoy a game or a movie. I know what I like, for reasons I understand. You could appreciate production values and stuff, but in the end it’s rather meaningless, if a game or a film doesn’t click.

Exactly it’s subjective you wouldn’t change a 100 greatest list because one person didn’t like it. the general consensus has been pointed out to you here by the people responding to you. That is Gabriel knight 1 is a top game, because the majority of people think so in general, we’re not going to rewrite the top 100 list because you only like modern adventure games, that is idiotic. I’m sorry. 

Also stats proved me right because they keep remaking/rebooting movies from the 70s 80s and 90s etc… I wonder why that is lol…. perhaps because they were and are still VERY popular. There is a reason Disney spent four billion dollars on Star Wars a film franchise from the 70s. Heck Godzilla a franchise that started in the 50s is still around and about is just as successful as it ever was. considering Godzilla minus 1 was just the highest grossing japenese made movie ever in the usa. it’s because the IP was and is popular, you can’t be that naive lol. Look at Wonka another movie that was the highest grossing movie of December, it is based on a 1970s franchise starring Gene Wilder, and I literally mean that, because this new movie is actually supposed to be a prequel to that gene wilder movie. Why would all these Studios be green lighting projects based on Old famous and highly regarded IP if they did not think that it was a way to make money lol. The only newer IP’s to make any major waves recently have all been from Japan and Anime based.

Total Posts: 88

Joined 2023-04-17

PM

It seems like a list for old people with their preferences. Feel free to enjoy it, but it doesn’t reflect my understanding of what good adventures are at all.

They, Hollywood, are making remakes and successors because they’re braindead, ideology driven and want to play it safe and easy. The majority is stupid, has no understanding of good movies. They get bombed by marketing, consume badly produced films and series like candies from streaming providers and the usual studios. Offside, globally, you find the good stuff.

@Doom
I might give the anniversary edition a second try sometime in the future. I’m in the Lucasfilm Games camp. Most of their adventures, placed differently, would make it in my top-100, but I don’t like the Sierra adventures I tried. Hmm. Whilst ScummVM supports lots of them, they sadly don’t support Legend Entertainment’s catalogue, yet.

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

jsfx - 19 January 2024 02:33 PM

It seems like a list for old people with their preferences. Feel free to enjoy it, but it doesn’t reflect my understanding of what good adventures are at all.

They, Hollywood, are making remakes and successors because they’re braindead, ideology driven and want to play it safe and easy. The majority is stupid, has no understanding of good movies. They get bombed marketing, consume badly produced films and series like candies from streaming providers and the usual studios. Offside, globally, you find the good stuff.

@Doom
I might give the anniversary edition a second try sometime in the future. I’m in the Lucasfilm Games camp. Most of their adventures, placed differently, would make it in my top-100, but I don’t like the Sierra adventures I tried. Hmm. Whilst ScummVM supports lots of them, they sadly don’t support Legend Entertainment’s catalogue, yet.

Well then you’re understanding is not very good. Not liking something and understanding why it’s popular should not be a hard concept to anyone over 13. It’s one thing to say I don’t like this game because of these reasons… but it’s another thing to say I don’t like this game therefore nobody else can like it because my opinion is the only one that matters. I hate The Walking Dead games I think they’re awful but I can understand why other people enjoy them, see it’s not very complicated.

And once again no… they’re remaking them because they’re the only thing still making them money because that’s what Hollywood cares about. it’s a for-profit business, because these IP’s made a lot of money and were considered Classics so they’re milking them for all their worth. The reason a lot of new original movies are not successful is because of the ideologically political messages in them, the type of messages that have no nuance and beat you over the head. Once again you got to realize you’re in the minority that actually likes those type of dribble movies, and the box office receipts prove it. For every one of those movies that do moderately well 20 more bomb.

Also PS I don’t know what you consider old, I guess I’m older but I’m only 38 and a classic is a classic no matter when it came out

Joined 2023-04-17

PM

Feel free to enjoy films with box office results, games from the past and pink hot sausages, regardless of my opinion.

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

jsfx - 19 January 2024 02:50 PM

Feel free to enjoy films with box office results, games from the past and pink hot sausages, regardless of my opinion.

I will and enjoy being the contrarian who acts like they don’t understand what people are saying even though it is basic thought process that should be understood by anybody over the age of 13.

For the record one my favorite movies of the last 10 yrs was a box office bomb, but I’m not going to act like other classic movies that had way more cultural impact were not important just because my favorite movie bombed. that is juvenile and stupid on a massive level.

Joined 2023-04-17

PM

Beautiful.

Total Posts: 1274

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

Sometimes I watch Supernatural and sometimes I watch The Wire, and I feel free…

Currently translating Strangeland into Spanish. Wish me luck, or send me money to my Paypal haha

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Whilst ScummVM supports lots of them, they sadly don’t support Legend Entertainment’s catalogue, yet.

Why would Scumm go to the trouble of supporting Legend when you can play all the Legend adventure games in DOSbox? With the exception of The Blackstone Chronicles, which needs Windows. At Vogons you can find a way to avoid the QuickTime problem.

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Joined 2023-04-17

PM

Regardless of eventual challenges, it would be nice if you could run Legend’s adventures via ScummVM. I prefer it to DOSbox.

Obscure Adventures - Animals:

Ella (LSprite)

Catfishing (Themersk)

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

jsfx - 20 January 2024 11:33 AM

Regardless of eventual challenges, it would be nice if you could run Legend’s adventures via ScummVM. I prefer it to DOSbox.

Why???

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Joined 2023-04-17

PM

I like ScummVM, nice colors, easy to handle, it runs many games.

Total Posts: 860

Joined 2017-12-19

PM

Karlok - 20 January 2024 11:10 AM

Why would Scumm go to the trouble of supporting Legend when you can play all the Legend adventure games in DOSbox?

You can play most LucasArts and Sierra games with DOSbox, so if that was their criteria for anything, the entire software probably wouldn’t exist. Or it would be a completely different kind of thing.

ScummVM is much better for many reasons: it requires less computer resources as it’s in most cases a complete reprogramming and not emulation, it’s a much more useful tool for taking screenshots and such, and it also has a nice launcher for games which DOSbox doesn’t have (although DOSbox frontends do).

Obviously none of that answers the question you ask, why would they bother working on it. But I guess it’s the traditional hacker thing. They do it, because they can do it. For some people it is actually rewarding to reverse engineer a game, and re-implement it in a different way. I think some ScummVM folks do that more than they actually play games. And of course they use some computer students during GSoC to implement new features or work on support for more games.

But if it’s a question of waiting for ScummVM to run some game which it may never actually be able to run, or just take the game and run it with DOSbox, I see very few reasons not to run it with DOSbox. At least if we talk about more or less normal way of playing, Windows/Mac/Linux. If the intention is to use something like Dreamcast to play with, then maybe it’s better to wait for ScummVM, who knows.

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

It seems like a list for old people with their preferences.

So, you’re both ignorant and rude. I hope you’re at least 19, for the sake of humanity.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Jdawg445 - 19 January 2024 10:17 AM

after The Walking Dead, the formula quickly lost its appeal and each game sold less copies than the one previously, which is why they went out of business.

I agree with majority of what you said about “impact”, but this part is not entirely true. From Wikipedia: “the game sold one million copies in 20 days, 18 exceeded 8.5 million episode purchases by 2013, and an estimated $40 million in revenue”. Telltale’s downfall really started after that, with Game of Thrones and Batman, huge licensed properties and quick rise of a company in terms of employees i.e. huge payroll without revenue on the market, which lead to Dan Connors to leave the company.

Jdawg445 - 19 January 2024 10:17 AM

So how much impact did the game have on the gaming landscape itself, I would argue not much at all especially for the adventure game genre, the only thing it did was move us more into the walking simulator category

The Walking Dead “impact” I mentioned is that “adventure genre” has been in the spotlight of mainstream gaming portals and magazines for the first time since 90s. Which is both good, and bad (since it was expected for many companies to copy the format with “less” true gameplay) but I always believed that “variety” is good for the future of the genre. Interactive movies started spawning in mid 90s and perhaps someone thought that it will kill the genre, but we still had some of the best adventure games after that initial crazy FMV period. So, one thing “walking simulators” gave us is - beautiful graphics for example, with games like Ethan Carter. When sub-genre raises the bar in graphics department, other sub-genres are bound to follow it.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top