• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

What game are you playing right now?

Total Posts: 7449

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

zobraks - 17 December 2023 08:54 AM

*diligently taking notes*

Yeah, good for you. Would be even better if you actually played one. Innocent

@jsfx: Trance, Trauma has strong Rusty Lake vibes, but I don’t know if it’s available for your mac.

Which adventures are you looking forward to next year?

See the new thread I started at Gatekeeper’s suggestion.

Story about good. Story about bad. - The Neverhood

Total Posts: 4280

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

I have many titles on my “Play it already, you idiot!” list.

206, to be precise. Sick

It could always be worse, remember that.
mjp

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

OMG, it’s worse than I thought. You’re drowning! Here, let me help you. I’ll pick a game for you. Obra Dinn was one of your favorites, so you are going to play The Case of the Golden Idol. Yes, I realize you’re grateful but there’s no need to thank me. Have fun!

Total Posts: 849

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

After playing Blade Runner for an hour I decided I was in the mood for something with a less esoteric interface, so I put it aside and moved on to Beautiful Desolation.
I got this for free from GOG and despite hearing good things about it, I am thus far very pleasantly surprised and impressed by the production values. The screenshots looked nice, but man, I wasn’t expecting graphics of this caliber, or full voice over, or an abundance of really well composed CGI cinematic cutscenes. The story takes no time to take flight in an epic direction. I am a fan of serious science fiction with a sense of humor, and Beautiful Desolation is exactly that. It reminds me a lot of Firefly (Joss Whedon tv series) and fans of that show will probably love this.

^Impression after 40 minutes of play time, so I reserve the right to change my mind later in the What Game Have You Just Finished thread.

Player, purveyor, and propagator of smart toys and games for all ages.
Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

Total Posts: 128

Joined 2023-10-03

PM

Baron_Blubba - 19 December 2023 12:18 PM

^Impression after 40 minutes of play time, so I reserve the right to change my mind later in the What Game Have You Just Finished thread.

Yeah, you will change your mind, for even better Wink

A1

Total Posts: 2078

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Or worse Crazy  The game is certainly very beautiful, but also very desolated, like huge chunks of gameplay were cut out from it before the release. What I like about Stasis 2 is that, despite being a more linear and claustrophobic experience, it doesn’t feel so empty, there’s always something to do and discover.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 128

Joined 2023-10-03

PM

That is a common opinion, you love it or hate it; there are some long while(s) of linear explorations with no real use of the world that has opened up with many different areas and locations, yet you need to follow some certain sequence; like the time near end, where you need to find Lucy for the story to carry on, the game offers nothing else to interact with, which is somewhat disappointing as at that point almost the whole game’s world has opened up with 10s rooms…

The good side to this is upon replaying trying to figure out different endings, you know you don’t need to fiddle around with those many locations, only have to follow the game script like a movie.

A1

Total Posts: 88

Joined 2023-04-17

PM

Trüberbrook

Wonderful mood, some fab moments (intro, outro), a voice I like, mishmash graphics, tech from hell and real music (transdim lala). Yay!

Joined 2023-04-17

PM

Life of Delta

Atmospheric hostile places, minor bugs, quite some dumb and evil life forms (just like humans), puzzles & mini-games with a good flow, sushi & laser, the childlike dystopian story ends and suggests more. Fun time.

Joined 2023-04-17

PM

Rusty Lake Roots

You do and experience other things in this adventure. Nice tree structure. I like Roots, Underground Blossom and Paradise for their ‘vastness’. A bug that required restarting a scene. High res. Addicting.

@Karlok
Have you played The Past Within?

Joined 2023-04-17

PM

Cube Escape Collection

Theatre, Cave and Birthday (fu cake) were lots of fun. A few steps felt ‘unfortunate’. CEC has its best moments when the story progresses and it also comes up with good new ideas. Just one more chapter ...

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

jsfx - 25 December 2023 03:53 AM

@Karlok
Have you played The Past Within?

I wanted to at first, but I dreaded the necessary technical computer stuff. So I watched other people play it on twitch instead. Not the same thing at all, as I could see both sides. 

Looks like you’re currently playing all the Rusty Lake games. Please do post your opinion of Paradox, even if you don’t like the combination of movie and game as much as I did.

Joined 2023-04-17

PM

The White Door

Kind of the same, but also different. I liked the interactive narrative and parts of the puzzles. I missed colors and visual stimuli. The repetitive part works best in combination with new stuff. Sometimes I was unsure if I didn’t get a puzzle or if it’s an input issue. Good one.

Okay. If you’re interested in playing The Past Within (the way it’s meant to be played) we could give it a try. It’s the only one left for me now, except Milo and the Christmas Gift.

Paradox was the first Rusty game I played years ago. It was weird and I liked it, its story and puzzles. It seemed like they put quite some effort into the game and its film material. It fit together well and looked good (compared to fmvs). That’s what I remember without replaying. Watching the short film: It feels different if you see these things ‘in real’.

After that, I was less impressed with Hotel (still good). The catalog of games can be confusing at first glance, and I had other things to do. I knew about the releases of The White Door and The Past Within, but I wasn’t into the graphics of TWD and TPW needed two players, for an adventure. The demo of Underground Blossom brought me back to Rusty Lake. I enjoyed Samsara Room until its release. Over Christmas I had the time and was in the mood to play some adventures, I also finished Paradise. It feels like a wonderful gift from the past.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Sorry jsfx, but I am not going to play The Past Within with anyone, so please don’t feel offended. It has nothing to do with you and everything to do with me. I’m 75 and getting very slow. Although I still like playing adventures it now often takes me twice as long as a couple of years ago. I wouldn’t feel comfortable knowing I’m taxing your patience and neither would you. Also, the technical issues I already mentioned.

Rusty Lake’s discord is a good place to go to if you’re looking for someone to play the game with. Lots of friendly people there. Or maybe someone else here at AG is also interested in The Past Within.

Joined 2023-04-17

PM

Okay. I thought, you might be interested in playing it this way. I don’t mind if someone is slower or faster. It’s about a fun experience (not a speedrun) for both, and you seem to be familiar with the series and enjoy it too.

I checked how it works and it was easy going. I could have offered help if there are any questions or in case something goes terribly wrong.

Thanks for the hint. If you change your mind send me a message. Cheers.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top