• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

seagul

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough: The Space Bar

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

diego - 03 January 2013 05:06 PM

I DID IT! I DID IT!

Congrats! I’d have lost my patience and gone for a walkthrough ages ago if I were in your place.

In fact, I did use one for the temperature controls - needing to set them at the second-coldest setting instead of the coldest is just plain brutal.

Fien - 04 January 2013 05:56 AM

Huh? Time, what time are you talking about? He is umpteen emptells behind the rest of you snails. No way this playthrough will continue running the rest of 2013! I won’t have it, I’d rather commit suicide.

At least the playthrough is still going, right?
Weren’t there playthroughs in the past that died completely?

I hope I get a couple of game nights soon (my game time has been pretty limited these last few weeks), so I can finish this game.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 946

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

TimovieMan - 04 January 2013 12:47 PM

At least the playthrough is still going, right?
Weren’t there playthroughs in the past that died completely?

Allright, alright… the glass is half full. Smile

Now playing: ——-
Recently finished: don’t remember
Up next:  Eh…
Looking forward to:
Ithaka of the Clouds; The Last Crown; all the kickstarter adventure games I supported

Total Posts: 6595

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

TimovieMan - 04 January 2013 12:47 PM

I’d have lost my patience and gone for a walkthrough ages ago if I were in your place.

And I did, but even with the walkthrough and UHS hints I was lost - it’s because I saved and loaded many times and because of many little delays that I lost track of what I did. More precisely, I thought I had already called every number. Shifty Eyed I just hope other Emp-Tels are easier Tongue (wishful thinking).

Fien - 04 January 2013 05:56 AM

Huh? Time, what time are you talking about? He is umpteen emptells behind the rest of you snails.

Cry

Fien - 04 January 2013 12:54 PM

Allright, alright… the glass is half full. Smile

So, you’re back for the job?  Gasp

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

Deleted. And I really, really, really hope the moderators will unstick this thread.

Looking forward to:
Ithaka of the Clouds; The Last Crown; all the kickstarter adventure games I supported

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

diego - 05 January 2013 04:44 AM

it’s because I saved and loaded many times and because of many little delays that I lost track of what I did. More precisely, I thought I had already called every number. Shifty Eyed

I had the same problem. Saving and loading so often that I forgot to call Dr. Root in my last playthrough… Tongue

Fien - 05 January 2013 04:56 AM

Deleted. And I really, really, really hope the moderators will unstick this thread.

We will.

Eventually… Naughty

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 643

Joined 2006-09-24

PM

Will this playthrough last until 2014?

Tongue

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

inm8#2 - 05 January 2013 02:38 PM

Will this playthrough last until 2014?

Tongue

Yes. Without me, that’s for sure.

Looking forward to:

Total Posts: 2996

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Ok. I just finished bettaker’s Emp-Tel. This was shocking. Now I have a shapeshifter to find.

EDIT: And the fact that Bettaker was talking the same time with the radio spokesrobot was VERY irritating…(doesn’t beat Seedroot’s buzzing bee though…)

EDIT 2: I was just stung by the poison dart. Thankfully, I was prepared. Bless this walkthrough for its tips. I don’t want to think what I would have done if I had to repeat the whole game at this point.

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

I’m still trial-and-error’ing my way onto the pitch in Bettaker’s emp-tel. Still haven’t found what the correct attire is… Meh

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Small tip. You will need to wear just three of the gear, plus holding one more with the cursor…

Total Posts: 6595

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Guys, how hard is Soldier’s emp-tel? Foot in mouth  I thought it would be impossible to be more difficult than Seedrot’s, but now I’m not sure. I’m still at the start of it, but how would you rate emp-tels you’ve finished in order of difficulty?

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Hmmm…rating from hardest to easiest, I would say IMO: Soldier (The hardest. Requires timing with your ticks + a maze), Click (we Win-98 users had to perfect our point ‘n clicking/panning control reflexes on this. I believe TimmovieMan agrees.), Fleebix (mostly because of the talking in the Van), Seedrot (fair, but not that hard - cold/light switches excepted), Cilia (pretty easy, especially if you understand the coded messages at the beggining.), Bettaker (pretty easy), Deven (easy - if you can solve the notorious “Win-98 screen bug” of course…).
Finally there is the Bar itself. Yes, it is hard too.

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Sefir - 15 January 2013 09:17 AM

Soldier (The hardest. Requires timing with your ticks + a maze)

Click (we Win-98 users had to perfect our point ‘n clicking/panning control reflexes on this. I believe TimmovieMan agrees.)

Actually, I no longer agree. While it may seem like timing is required, it actually isn’t. You just have to make sure that you have the absolute shortest path through the maze for Soldier, and that you arrange the vines correctly for Click.
The ticks work in such a way that nothing moves until you do. The times when you think you lack the reflexes, you’ve just missed an added layer of difficulty that needs to be solved…

As for the order of difficulty: it’s hard to quantify. They nearly all have one or two puzzles that are just insane. Fleebix had “getting on the bus” and the part in the van. Soldier had “getting the egg to the rails” and a maze. Seedrot had that diabolical control panel. Click had escaping the police and drugging the correct guards, etc.

Personally, I think this is the hardest game I’ve ever played.
Very hard: The Space Bar, Seedrot, Soldier, Click
Medium/Hard: Fleebix, Cilia
Easy: Deven-7, Bettaker
Very easy: Thud

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Now I know what a Kur’pupu looks like… Grin

Just finished the game (finally, took me six months). I even was SO economical with the ticks in the bar itself, that I had to ‘wait’ a few dozen ticks at the end to initiate the endgame… Tongue

Here’s my thoughts:

The Space Bar - 3 / 5

Steve Meretzky’s The Space Bar is a mixed bag. On the one hand you have this funny game that has an original, diverse and beautifully created setting (with visuals that still look good after 15 years), but on the other hand it’s riddled with bugs (that will make it a challenge to play on a modern machine), and it has an amount of dead ends that was already long out of date at the time of its release. That, and the gameplay is simply brutal.
The Space Bar is quite possibly the hardest game I’ve ever played, but it’s not without its rewards. Dying will occasionally give you a chuckle, and it’s always worth it to go back to dialogues just to exhaust all options. All the ‘alien’ conversations and pop culture references make the game worth persevering, even though its difficulty often stands in its way. In fact, The Space Bar would have been more enjoyable if it wasn’t so bloody hard.
It also features a few design points that just feel ‘off’, probably a result of Meretzky’s history in text adventures (where some design elements don’t necessarily translate all that well to graphical games). And the sound editing is just plain awful: a lot of the time, two voices speak at once, and neither are subtitled. It’s nothing you can’t ignore, though, and the game should be given a chance, if only to look at the amazing worlds and plethora of alien creatures that Ron Cobb (of Star Wars and in particular the Mos Eisley Cantina fame) thought up…

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

TimovieMan - 15 January 2013 06:15 PM

Now I know what a Kur’pupu looks like… Grin

Good for you. WARNING! Players who don’t know yet what a Kur’pupu looks like, should NOT read this spoiler! I put up my cool photo several months ago. Grin

Just finished the game (finally, took me six months). I even was SO economical with the ticks in the bar itself, that I had to ‘wait’ a few dozen ticks at the end to initiate the endgame… Tongue

Glad you heeded my warnings. Waiting is much, much better than going back and doing things over. Tongue

The Space Bar - 3 / 5

In my memory of my first playthrough it deserved a solid 4, but based on that awful font bug I ran into the second playthrough, the terrible sound management (everybody and everything talking and making noise at the same time), and the timed bar sequences, I now rate it 3.5. On the plus side: the best bizarre creatures ever in a wonderful setting, superb voiceacting, some very original puzzles, the mostly funny Meretzky humor and, for me as a special treat, THUD! Darling Thud had me in stitches most of the time. Heart Eyes

Ooooooohhh! Slots! Oooooooohhh! Diamonds!

Looking forward to:

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top