• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Keybordz

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough #66 – Fahrenheit: Indigo Prophecy ~

Total Posts: 2454

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

walas74 - 23 May 2021 09:46 PM

It is not a matter of being a better man, I am Aries and from Madrid so I can’t stand be beaten hahaha

Grin Grin

That should be a line in an adventure game.

Total Posts: 1263

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

Vegetable Party - 24 May 2021 03:58 PM
walas74 - 23 May 2021 09:46 PM

It is not a matter of being a better man, I am Aries and from Madrid so I can’t stand be beaten hahaha

Grin Grin

That should be a line in an adventure game.

Lol, well, I love writing, mostly sci-fi and fantasy short stories.

Currently translating Strangeland into Spanish. Wish me luck, or send me money to my Paypal haha

Total Posts: 506

Joined 2014-08-01

PM

Veovis - 23 May 2021 03:16 PM

These short sessions with several days between don’t work very well for me with this game. It’s a bit like watching five or six scenes of a movie at a time and then wait a week before continuing.

It is understandable. To feel that we see scenes from one film and then continue some time later watching other scenes is not the idea. 

Personally I feel that the stipulated pace is not working very well, I think we are going too slow, maybe because of the way I thought of dividing it or maybe because the way the game is structured doesn’t lend itself to such a pace.  I think there’s a lot of dead time, and the waiting doesn’t help. I want to avoid things like: “Oh right, I was playing this game. Where was I?”

Maintain or increase the anxiety to keep playing and not decrease it because there is so much time on hold.

In any case, considering the opinion of others and given that those who have given their opinion are in favour of the idea of increasing the pace, let’s do just that.

More chapters in the next sections. Let’s make it more agile this time. We start tomorrow.

walas74 - 24 May 2021 12:33 PM

I must say I don’t understand certain QTEs. Really, for an autopsy? First of all, it’s almost impossible to achieve the QTE, and second, you miss everything the corones is saying. What’s the point of that?

I agree, in that part specifically I found it totally unnecessary, choosing what to inquire and see what answer we get and/or evidence that can be revealed is all well and good, but a QTE was a bit much. I saw it as a forced effort to generate tension or some “action” scene. Out of place for that moment.

” I remember. Somebody died. It was me.”
~

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

I strolled through these chapters, ending up just a few steps into the chapter after the gym. I avoided Tyler’s awkward romantic exchange (please tell me that didn’t involve a QTE) and I generally liked the tone of the game up to this point.

My thoughts on these chapters are similar to those of walas74:

The autopsy QTE took me by surprise, but after failing twice and trying again, I managed. It still seemed misplaced.

I actually quite liked the fight in the ring and at this point, I’d gotten into the flow and controls enough to beat it on my first try. But even though I personally liked it, I’m still not crazy about the way these sequences put off some players who’d otherwise enjoy the adventure game.

The memory scene was interesting. I agree this mechanic was more fitting, as it wasn’t just semi-thoughtless hand eye coordination. You needed to figure out a route, a way to remain unseen. The information was a cool addition to what we know about Lucas.

As for the pace of the playthrough: I’m cool with it. I only played beyond the initial checkpoint by accident. I see some people would like to increase the pace: if it helps people remain involved, go for it. Shall we put it to a vote?

Total Posts: 645

Joined 2017-08-27

PM

My apologies, I ended up having too much work these past couple of weeks.
I have reached the stopping point. No problems with QTE for me at all. I never liked the mechanic but I knew what I was getting into in this case, so it’s a fairly smooth sailing. 

I’d rather go with playing more chapters at a time, than a shorter window to play if possible, but I’ll go with whatever Tenebra decides. Mostly, because chapters are on the shorter side, and since David Cage is a fan of putting player into the heroes shoes, all routine actions including, main story develops slower then usual.
By the way - super stylish intro into the next part, Tenebra! I half expected you to actually say “Last time on Fahrenheit…” in a TV anchor’s voice Grin Would be cool with the audio bit.

I was wondering if some bits and pieces could be missed in this game. For example, at Lucas’ place I decided to box a little, and got an interesting vision - is that something the game would have force me to do if I wouldn’t go for it?

I liked the “Hide and Seek” chapter. It brought some variety to a gameplay (although I had to replay the sneaking part a few times, and by the end, I wanted to punch that airman in his mean mug). I also like tiny details in this game - like a bully kid picking a nose and flicking his booger Grin Just small things like that make the scene more complete, especially that cliche-ish writing here has its highs and lows. I ended up not completing this scene to my liking, but I’m sticking to my decision to continue ahead if the game lets me - it is what it is.

I also sent this chick packing with her two boxes. I don’t think it’d be good for Lucas to deal with this on top of everything else, actually for both of them. And I generally think it’s better to break up cleanly, if possible. All this back and forth doesn’t add anything besides extra emotional stress. YMMV

I’m really curious about a girl from Lucas’ vision. I have no recollection of her whatsoever

Still find Lucas the most interesting character, most developed one. I prefer to follow him in all chapters first.

Love the cinematic score. Looking forward to more!

Joined 2014-08-01

PM

Now that this section is over. One of my favourite memories of this game, and one of the most special moments I remember is Lucas playing guitar in his flat trying to forget about the hell he’s going through. At least for a few minutes the world around him ceases to exist.

Vegetable Party - 25 May 2021 03:04 AM

As for the pace of the playthrough: I’m cool with it. I only played beyond the initial checkpoint by accident. I see some people would like to increase the pace: if it helps people remain involved, go for it. Shall we put it to a vote?

Maybe next time Veg. I think that if we implement a vote now it would drag this topic out unnecessarily much longer, at least we already have the opinion of several people, including yours obviously, and that serves to get a general idea about this matter.

DCast - 25 May 2021 09:11 AM

I was wondering if some bits and pieces could be missed in this game. For example, at Lucas’ place I decided to box a little, and got an interesting vision - is that something the game would have force me to do if I wouldn’t go for it?

No, the game does not force you to do it. If you do it the way you did it you get a vision and a little revelation. Lucas is changing.
But if you don’t box he never realizes that.

DCast - 25 May 2021 09:11 AM

I also sent this chick packing with her two boxes. I don’t think it’d be good for Lucas to deal with this on top of everything else, actually for both of them. And I generally think it’s better to break up cleanly, if possible. All this back and forth doesn’t add anything besides extra emotional stress. YMMV

I’m really curious about a girl from Lucas’ vision. I have no recollection of her whatsoever

While in principle I agree that break up cleanly or once and for all, is most of the time the wisest decision, and the back and forth doesn’t help at all, on the contrary;... in reality it is more complicated for people to deal with it.

In the context of the game Lucas feels emotionally weak. You can feel in the air the tension between them when they look into each other’s eyes, the awkwardness of seeing each other again after who knows how long, you can see that there are still feelings between them but they are not sure whether to go back and try again or not.

And I like how the game gives us the possibility to make that decision: This is the end of it, it’s like this, take your stuff and go, it’s the best thing for both of us, right? Or do we try once again? Whatever decision we make the resolution is well handled by the game and never feels imposed. It feels natural.

I don’t think anyone has talked about this girl yet. But she has already appeared several times in our revelations.

~

Joined 2014-08-01

PM

Last time on Fahrenheit: Indigo Prophecy ~

~

Joined 2014-08-01

PM

It is time to resume our adventure again. 

Some important revelations are coming our way. And the introduction of a new character who can help us unravel what happened that fateful night. There will also be time to relax, Tyler and Jeffrey will be responsible for settling that debt that had been pending. And of course more QTE.

As you know I’ve been trying to collect feedback on the pace we’re on and I think we’re almost all ok with the idea of expanding the number of chapters to be played.

- This time we will be playing 7 chapters (I hesitated to introduce one more, but I think it’s ok for now). The time will also be one week to complete it (6/1).

- Where should we be in a week’s time? The last chapter to play will be the one that takes place in Carla’s apartment, at the end of which a key element in the investigation will be revealed, this is where we will stop.

Thank you all for your feedback and we’ll see how we adjust to a new chapter. ~

~

Total Posts: 2071

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

What a great and creative recap, Tenebra! Really helps to refresh the memories. Because I finally played through the previous section and also one level from the new section (the archives) in one sit, although the archives got me frustrated because of clunky navigation and because controlling Carla’s breath got repetitive very soon.  And then I got stuck in the bookshop on an actual PUZZLE (at least I’m not sure how to find the book) which kinda broke the pace, so that’s that.

So far I agree with many comments - little story to speak of, a bit too much QTE. Lucas is still my favourite character, and the office nightmare involving him turned out to be my favourite part despite being very heavy on QTE. But, again, tension. Hide and seek sure added some variety to the gameplay, but there’s no way to finish it without retrying because of the sudden introduction of stealth and the timed hide and seek part - I lost too much time just talking to that bully and had to restart to save everyone. The flat scene was kinda relaxing despite a lot of unnecessary QTE, I actually managed to seduce the ex-girlfriend (thanks God they didn’t turn the sex scene into another A-D session).

Speaking of which, I hated the gym part because of that two-button torture and then - a long QTE session which could’ve been ignored, of course, but I decided to win for a change. But it felt like a wasted chapter, a simple filler, and so did the morgue part. Now making a facial composite felt both reasonable and puzzling (easy, but still). Why couldn’t Cage add more moments like this instead of some very questionable QTE sessions is beyond me. Well, at least for now I’m stuck on something Smile

PC means personal computer

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

I thought the pills and alcohol escalation a couple of chapters ago was a bit overly dramatic, but I took it as a bit of 80s straight edgey hyperbole.

With the archive scene, I’m starting to question David Cage’s concept of how the human body works. I’ve done a couple of breathing exercises in my life, but this seems like self-imposed hyperventilation between bouts of holding your breath, mixed with physical and emotional strain.

Not sure I’m going to pass this section just yet. It’s a bit confused, but definitely not enough to put me off of the experience. I’m still curious about the characters and the plot, but I don’t have the time to go through this right now. Maybe tomorrow.

Great work on the recap, Tenebra. I appreciate knowing where I’m supposed to be at the end of this session too, although I think I get how chapters are counted at this point. Smile

By the way, playing the guitar was one of my favourite parts as well. I played all the songs, including the one Lucas plays for Tiffany . A bittersweet moment. Then I asked her to leave. Bit abrupt, but.. realistic, I guess.

Total Posts: 5051

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Tenebra - 25 May 2021 07:05 PM

One of my favourite memories of this game, and one of the most special moments I remember is Lucas playing guitar in his flat trying to forget about the hell he’s going through. At least for a few minutes the world around him ceases to exist.

Beautiful sequence. But not one, I think, that could be played without a controler.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 1350

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

Ah, I’ve slipped slightly behind. I have finished the last section and will begin this week’s section later today hopefully so should be caught back up pretty quickly.

Just want to add - Tenebra you’re doing a great job leading this playthrough. Really well introduced sections so be confident and keep it up!  Laughing

Like many here I find the QTE’s pretty inexplicable sometimes. With the action bits it makes sense conceptually, but for some of the other stuff it is weird. I think it’s just part of the David Cage - “Thing”. A lot of it doesn’t make sense from a traditional gaming perspective i.e. ...and now we’re going to add in an unskippable section at the gym for no reason… but there is something in the way it is presented and in the intention behind it that makes it more than it looks on paper. Not saying it always hits the mark of course, often it doesn’t.

Either way, I’m enjoying this play through and looking forward to getting stuck in again later on.

3.5 time winner of the “Really Annoying Caption Contest Saboteur” Award!

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

rtrooney - 27 May 2021 09:51 PM
Tenebra - 25 May 2021 07:05 PM

One of my favourite memories of this game, and one of the most special moments I remember is Lucas playing guitar in his flat trying to forget about the hell he’s going through. At least for a few minutes the world around him ceases to exist.

Beautiful sequence. But not one, I think, that could be played without a controler.

Oh, no doubt. It did work OK on a touch screen however. This game was created for the PS2 and it sure does show. Despite it all, I really liked this part of the game. I am at the checkpoint now, so far so good.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

Managed to get past the heavy breathing section. Switched to Tyler. Funky music started playing and I was just thinking about the character as a strange approximation of an African-American man. So I guess it was a fine time for Mr. Cage to introduce Takeo.

I think the Japanese name in combination with the Chinese stereotypes suggest he’s laying on the accent and mannerism on purpose. I’m guessing this is supposed to be some kind of comedic subversion..? I hope he switches it up ASAP, though.

All in all, I think the atmosphere of the game still works. It is, however, one of those movies you rent that turns out to be a lot weirder than you initially expect it to be. Honestly, that’s good thing, some of the directive decisions are easier to accept in this context: if this would pretend to be some serious social drama, I think it would fall flat. As it is, the balance seems to work..

Total Posts: 1263

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

Ok, I finished Carla’s apartment chapter so I guess I arrived to the checkpoint.

My impressions of this section, tomorrow…

Currently translating Strangeland into Spanish. Wish me luck, or send me money to my Paypal haha

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top