• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

SefirVeovis

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

New Tomb Raider

Total Posts: 1

Joined 2007-09-25

PM

One of the best adventure games in a long time. Lots of puzzles, some shooting bad guys, gorgeous visuals. Its one on a short list that I’ll play again.
You will need a decent machine to run it.

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Please don’t mislead people. This is not an adventure game, not by a long shot. If you buy it expecting an adventure game, you’ll be disappointed.

By the way, I’m not an adventure purist. I do play other genres of games, and new ones too.

Total Posts: 189

Joined 2010-06-26

PM

Oscar - 13 April 2013 09:04 PM

Please don’t mislead people. This is not an adventure game, not by a long shot. If you buy it expecting an adventure game, you’ll be disappointed.

By the way, I’m not an adventure purist. I do play other genres of games, and new ones too.

The tired ‘what is an adventure game’ debate again. Yawn. You are not an adventure purist? sounds like it to me! We live in the 21st century. Get with the times, man. You definitely dont have to love the game if its not your taste, but how can you say it’s not an adventure game? Tomb Raider IS Adventure. It’s adventure to ITS CORE. Yeah, sure it does it in a slightly different way and involves combat, but whatevs. Don’t listen to this fool people, this game is a must for adventure gamers. It has adventure game aspects that you’d find in your classic adventure games. it’s very story driven, includes hours of exploration, and the tomb sections are PUZZLES (some quite difficult ones too). you could even say that the combat has a puzzle element too. sure, you could run in guns blazing and not really think about what you are doing, but in a lot of situations you can think about the situation and use your surroundings, for example shoot a lamp to set the guys below on fire etc etc. All in all, it’s a very cinematic game and the combat doesn’t have to be too taxing if you dont want it to be. I played the game on easy and it was a breeze and enjoyable!  Smile

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Oscar - 13 April 2013 08:31 PM

Watched a friend play it and it did not look interesting to me at all. Seemed like a combination of a gun-shooter game with the “press X to not die” bits of The Walking Dead.

The story might be good but I don’t play games for just the story. I remember the old Tomb Raider having clever puzzles but it appears they’ve got rid of them too.

Where is the like button , you are right, the game has lost all what made TR and i have finished all TR before, but i guess for new mainstream the game is, in short “convictioned”. I liked it for all the hard work CD did on it , still there is plenty of shooting to be called as adventure and hell each game on easy or very easy nowadays is adventure in that sense even well Splintercell conviction lol.

Total Posts: 347

Joined 2006-07-30

PM

Well, I must admit I don’t think this game is an “adventure game” (though there is abundant adventure in it!), but I absolutely loved this game.  GOTY material for me, no doubt.  Every time someone mentions it, I’m tempted to start playing it again.  But, if you’re interested, there’s a topic on the General Gaming forum.

http://www.adventuregamers.com/forums/viewthread/1487/

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

aaroncarney - 13 April 2013 09:41 PM
Oscar - 13 April 2013 09:04 PM

The tired ‘what is an adventure game’ debate again. Yawn. You are not an adventure purist? sounds like it to me! We live in the 21st century. Get with the times, man. You definitely dont have to love the game if its not your taste, but how can you say it’s not an adventure game? Tomb Raider IS Adventure. It’s adventure to ITS CORE. Yeah, sure it does it in a slightly different way and involves combat, but whatevs. Don’t listen to this fool people, this game is a must for adventure gamers. It has adventure game aspects that you’d find in your classic adventure games. it’s very story driven, includes hours of exploration, and the tomb sections are PUZZLES (some quite difficult ones too). you could even say that the combat has a puzzle element too. sure, you could run in guns blazing and not really think about what you are doing, but in a lot of situations you can think about the situation and use your surroundings, for example shoot a lamp to set the guys below on fire etc etc. All in all, it’s a very cinematic game and the combat doesn’t have to be too taxing if you dont want it to be. I played the game on easy and it was a breeze and enjoyable!  Smile

I think you misunderstand what an adventure game is. You might want to read the genre definition and this thread.

Believe me, I’m as tired of the debate as you. However, the debate is only ‘tired’ because some people can’t accept that not every game can be an adventure game, nor should it be. That would be stupid and completely useless, because names are there to help people. Every game every made is an adventure; an adventure game is something completely different.

And anyway, what’s so great about a name?

Total Posts: 134

Joined 2013-04-13

PM

Personally I like a loose definition of what an adventure game is. Now that more games are incorporating: a.) storytelling elements b.) puzzle solving elements c.) conversation interaction elements and d.) exploration elements that does it for me! tis adventure! I am glad to see this adventure game influence reflecting upon all genres and honestly, I think this game is probably more ‘adventure’ than something like ‘The Cave’ which is getting endless adventure game praise.

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

syn how much of it have you played? The start of the game has a lot of the food collecting, hunting and exploration stuff and I wouldn’t blame you for thinking of it as adventure, but the second half is almost all action. The Cave never depended on your skill with the controller, only your brain. Which is why it is reviewed here on the site and not Tomb Raider.

I think this site’s definition is very loose. Games like Miasmata, The Walking Dead, Myst, Portal and Monkey Island are worlds apart but are all adventure games because they have a story, puzzle or challenge-based gameplay, exploration and no action.

Total Posts: 1079

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

New TR is a textbook definition of action adventure(aa) genre nothing more or less.

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

Total Posts: 880

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

Yeah, its not a tomb raider game unless it has a shit load of blocks that move and shit….

Oh, I guess you could play minecraft.

The puzzles were not as basic as some people claim it to be, but they definitely are not difficult. Not a Tomb Raider game? Hell no. This is a textbook prequel to a great story. This is Tomb Raider.

Stuart Bradley Newsom - Naughty Shinobi || Our Game: Shadow Over Isolation

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

The story wasn’t even that great. Better than the other Tomb Raider stories? Probably, but they were already pretty bad. If you want a great story combined with TR style gameplay, Prince of Persia: Sands of Time is the benchmark.

Total Posts: 880

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

Nah, the story in the new TR is better…why? Because its more like indiana jones than Prince of Persia. Kind of an odd comparison.

Stuart Bradley Newsom - Naughty Shinobi || Our Game: Shadow Over Isolation

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

It’s a manipulative, cliche filled story. If someone came up to me and said “hey I’m having trouble coming up with a new story based on this series starring a tough treasure-hunter girl” I’d say “Hmm.. let me think about it.. okay how about this? A prequel going back to when she’s young and crashes on an island filled with bad guys who try to kill her and rape her and she gets through it by overcoming her fears and makes her stronger and stuff”

There’s no substance to it. It’s a film-school plot. Once you know the premise and can see where it’s all going there’s no need to see the rest.

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Zifnab - 14 April 2013 10:50 PM

The story wasn’t even that great. Better than the other Tomb Raider stories? Probably, but they were already pretty bad. If you want a great story combined with TR style gameplay, Prince of Persia: Sands of Time is the benchmark.

This and man the soundtrack to complement it.

New TR is bad cliche, lost on island to get out in one piece, thats it , and
kidnap ,rescue, re kidnap ,rescue , rinse repeat, kidnap of friends, rescue,
oh wait ....

What more worse is that, if i have to pick characters from current gen gaming that
i havent got enough off, those would be Drake from UC and York from
Deadly Premonition, too bad i dont have much characters to be missed for next gen, and new
Lara is not memorable for me, maybe good for that one title but thats it and her
terrible moaning and VO didnt help the case.

Total Posts: 26

Joined 2009-04-20

PM

Enjoyed the game overall, despite all the QTE’s. It was a great thrill ride, but would had liked more puzzles. I’m not in a hurry to replay it, but not many games warrant it these days. I got bored of Far Cry 3 quite quickly, dumped it after meeting the mushroom guy.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top