• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Return to Monkey island by Ron Gilbert : 19 september 2022

Total Posts: 851

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

This game is going to eventually come out, and the gameplay, story, jokes, puzzles, and characters are all going to be so surpassingly enjoyable that all this sophistry will be rendered moot. We’ll play the game, love it, and all will be forgotten until the lead up to Return From Monkey Island or Night of the Tentacle or Thimbleweed Drive (to be followed by Thimbleweed Neutral and Thimbleweed Reverse).

Player, purveyor, and propagator of smart toys and games for all ages.
Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

Total Posts: 410

Joined 2018-09-09

PM

Baron_Blubba - 08 May 2022 10:44 PM

This game is going to eventually come out, and the gameplay, story, jokes, puzzles, and characters are all going to be so surpassingly enjoyable that all this sophistry will be rendered moot.

Well, I don’t think that my counter-arguments fall under the definition of sophistry but I certainly have no doubt that the game will be anything other than excellent (art style quibbles aside).  There will be nothing surprising about that.  I can hardly wait to play it.

Total Posts: 172

Joined 2011-06-03

PM

St_Eddie - 08 May 2022 08:27 PM
Santar - 08 May 2022 06:58 PM

But which I have seen “fans” do online.

Why are you putting the word “fans” in quotation marks?  You wouldn’t be gatekeeping per chance, would you?

This also made me raise an eyebrow. Similar to mojo staff, it seems like certain individuals think they are the only true fans, because they have a particular subjective opinion on an issue.

Total Posts: 320

Joined 2022-05-09

PM

Come on. Most likely Gilbert was pissed.

He did not agree with some opinions people had. There were positive and negative, polite and harsh statements. Overall he did not want this feedback on his blog. He shut it down with the notice ‘I’ think we all need a time-out.’. A few days later he reopened with the comment sections, the entire communication, regarding Return to Monkey Island being closed. He posted a long text with explanation of his point of view, with several ‘I want ...’. A.o. he wanted ‘the art in Return to Monkey Island to be provocative, shocking, and not what everyone was expecting’ but at the same time, when some people were provoked, felt shocked and expected something different, it wasn’t the way he wanted, he could deal with and he sounded a little bit like a mad scientist.

He retweetet an out of context ‘quit having fun’ strip on his twitter account, which shows his feelings got hurt and suggests that he did not understand a part of criticism or was offended by. Since then he prefers to broadcast via rather repetitive interviews were no one questions his decisions.

He’s no saint, just a human being with probably good and bad sides, like everyone else. He, surprisingly for a veteran, overreacted.

I support going forward: high-res graphics, hopefully the sound too. I like some aspects of the graphics but I’m also not fully sold yet. I dig the cave but I’m less fond of the court. It’s not state of the art which instantly clicks to me. If the stills are more flat and empty by intention, in order to allow people to fill in the gaps on their own (less to reduce costs), then, there exist styles, more mature, I do enjoy more. I’m curious how it looks like animated, both backgrounds and characters, especially how Guybrush looks like.

Whilst graphics are important, it’s only one aspect of the game, there is sound, there are riddles, characters, the story, the controls, the interface, inventory items and so on. Little is known about all the other aspects.

I wish the comments still would be open, he would drop some material now and then and everyone, including Gilbert, would be open minded enough to enjoy an free exchange of opinions, no matter what they are. At the latest, when the game will be released, people will know how it looks and feels like. For better or worse Gilbert won’t be able to subdue opinions then.

It’s kind of weird. If you had asked people about a new MI months ago, no one would have complained about anything and just be happy, like, really happy.

Nonetheless I wish Gilbert and his team good luck. Hopefully the game will be a blast, for me. Smile

Joined 2018-09-09

PM

You echo my thoughts to a tee, meteor.

Total Posts: 19

Joined 2009-05-20

PM

Why are you putting the word “fans” in quotation marks?  You wouldn’t be gatekeeping per chance, would you?

This also made me raise an eyebrow. Similar to mojo staff, it seems like certain individuals think they are the only true fans, because they have a particular subjective opinion on an issue

People sure do read into things what they want and instantly go for the most negative reading.
I just don’t like the term fan. It kinda just makes me cringe to see super-fans of stuff.
Fan after all comes from the word fanatic.

Joined 2018-09-09

PM

Santar - 09 May 2022 04:51 AM

People sure do read into things what they want and instantly go for the most negative reading.
I just don’t like the term fan. It kinda just makes me cringe to see super-fans of stuff.
Fan after all comes from the word fanatic.

My own feeling on the terminology at hand; I think that it’s fine to be a fan of a series.  It’s the fanboys and fangirls who I take umbrage with.  The distinction being, in my mind, that a fan is someone who greatly enjoys a series in general but is also critical of the aspects of, or installments within, the series which they do not care for.  A fan is someone who does not automatically love something that’s a part of that series, simply and purely because it exists.

Fanboys/fangirls on the other hand will unquestionably lap up any and all media that’s a part of their favoured franchise and hail it as the best thing ever, regardless of quality.  In other words, a fan is able to be objective in their enjoyment of a series.  Whereas, a fanboy/fangirl utterly lacks any kind of objectivity or nuance of opinion.  They exist to consume content, as opposed to appreciating art because, after all, when one loves everything unconditionally, then one cannot possibly recognise and respect exceptionalism and craft in art.  A fanboy/fangirl loves everything but respects nothing.  A fan discerns and respects great artistry.

I hasten to add that I’m not applying that logic nor distinction to yourself or anyone else within this thread.  I’m merely clarifying my thoughts on the terminology itself, given that you raised the topic.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

“fanboy/fangirl”, interesting, what about fantrans, Queerfans…etc

Total Posts: 2454

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

Advie - 09 May 2022 08:02 AM

“fanboy/fangirl”, interesting, what about fantrans, Queerfans…etc

& shout out to all my ace fan-b’s!

All this talk actually made me look forward to the game.

Total Posts: 7470

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

St_Eddie - 08 May 2022 11:41 PM

This game is going to eventually come out, and the gameplay, story, jokes, puzzles, and characters are all going to be so surpassingly enjoyable that all this sophistry will be rendered moot.

Well, I don’t think that my counter-arguments fall under the definition of sophistry but I certainly have no doubt that the game will be anything other than excellent (art style quibbles aside).  There will be nothing surprising about that.  I can hardly wait to play it.

Why are people so sure it’s going to be a wonderful game?

My expectations are not very high. Thimbleweed Park was an okay game, I guess. Certainly not a masterpiece. Ron Gilbert is past his prime and that’s really nothing to be ashamed of at his age. Same goes for Tim Schafer and his Broken Age. Even more so for Jane Jensen and that awful Moebius of hers. And as much as I like the Tex Murphy games, Tesla Effect was mediocre at best. Have any of our beloved developers of the 80s and 90s produced a masterpiece really good game lately?

EDIT: I enjoyed Cyan’s Obduction very much.

PROM, NAPOL, PROM! - The Rise of the Golden Idol

Total Posts: 686

Joined 2010-02-05

PM

Karlok - 09 May 2022 01:26 PM

I didn’t care for Thimbleweed park at all, and The Cave wasn’t great either. I have low expectations for RtMI. But I will be getting it day one.

I Am the Knight of the Order of the Sun!

Total Posts: 172

Joined 2011-06-03

PM

Karlok - 09 May 2022 01:26 PM
St_Eddie - 08 May 2022 11:41 PM

My expectations are not very high. Thimbleweed Park was an okay game, I guess. Certainly not a masterpiece. Ron Gilbert is past his prime and that’s really nothing to be ashamed of at his age. Same goes for Tim Schafer and his Broken Age. Even more so for Jane Jensen and that awful Moebius of hers. And as much as I like the Tex Murphy games, Tesla Effect was mediocre at best. Have any of our beloved developers of the 80s and 90s produced a masterpiece really good game lately?

EDIT: I enjoyed Cyan’s Obduction very much.

Not really.

Beyond a Steel SKy, Broken Sword 5, Armikrog, Hero-U, Syberia 3 also comes to mind.

Total Posts: 320

Joined 2022-05-09

PM

I’ll buy it within a heartbeat but I wouldn’t trust Gilbert choosing a tasty pattern for my bed linen anymore. He might run away with it too.

In my opinion The Cave is his best game so far. Wonderful.

I expect his latest game to be a good to very good experience plus, minus the unknown. I’m in for the music, the drama and box-art to stare at.

Total Posts: 35

Joined 2022-05-07

PM

I’m the reverse, for me Thimbleweed Park showed me that Ron Gilbert still has it.

I have full faith in Ron. I think people are not talking much about Dave. Dave and Ron writing together again after so many years is a exciting combo.

Broken Age i thought was great for the first half. Didn’t enjoy the second half as much.

Total Posts: 851

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

Thimbleweed Park is one of my favorite games. I like it more than all the MI games except maaaaybe Curse of Monkey Island. Ron’s adventure game bible isn’t my wholesale doctrine, but I like his game design style in general, and I know I’ll enjoy returning to Monkey Island, whether it’s an old school TWP style challenge or a more modern Tales of Monkey Island type.

First halves of Broken Age and Broken Sword 5 were lots of fun; the second halves not so much, at all.

It’s not a matter of any major importance or risk, so I’m happy to be optimistic.

Player, purveyor, and propagator of smart toys and games for all ages.
Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top