• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Sefir

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

The Journey of Iesir - “Runaway-esque” indie title

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Haven’t seen vibrant 2D graphics like these since The Whispered World.

The Journey of Iesir takes place in a land reminiscent of the medieval ages, yet has a story that integrates ideas as old as the legendary Vikings, and as modern as the hippie movement in the 1970’s. This story details the journey of a charismatic Viking named Daniel Trondhjemsfjord, who has a burning desire to return to his Viking heritage and join the ranks of this legendary yet clandestine group. Michael and Jack, two wanderers and freelancers, join him on his quest. What begins as a simple job turns out to be much more than any of them has bargained for.

The game has been in development for some time now, but fortunately - authors say the game is near complete and they lack just a little bit on the animation side. It’s interesting to see what the initial graphics looked like before they went with a more of a Disney-esque approach:

And here’s an interview with the developer

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 129

Joined 2010-08-29

PM

Aah.., I like the look and feel of this one!  Smile  Will have to keep my eyes on it…

Total Posts: 505

Joined 2011-01-12

PM

The game looks quite nice. Laughing

The second picture indeed reminds me of something you could see in Runaway. Like Sushi’s hotel and saloon scene.

Sushi’s hotel ( you can see dear’s head in both scenes Nerd )

But the first picture reminds me of some of the Broken Sword scenes ( The Cafe)

Pic 1, Pic 2, Pic 3

And the character himself looks like a brown haired Guybrush Tongue

That’s quite an interesting combination of ideas. I can’t wait to see how this game turns out to be Grin

Everything you need to know about me has already been told.

Total Posts: 514

Joined 2010-08-03

PM

beautiful…....another game to wait for Grin

Total Posts: 990

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/yabb/index.php?topic=41440.0

It looks like they’re trying to hunt down an animator.

Total Posts: 33

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Nice visuals!

Currently playing: Starcraft II
Recently finished: Resonance, Tex Murphy: Pandora Directive, Diablo 3

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

Most promising screenshots I’ve seen since the first screenshots of Runaway many years ago!

Everything I’ve found so far suggests that there isn’t gonna be any voice acting for the game. I’t would be a great shame if such a beautiful looking game were to end up voiceless. If I was a talented voice actor, I would offer my services for free for this project! Anyone knows what they’re planning in that respect? And is there any planned release date?

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Total Posts: 26

Joined 2011-04-09

PM

It’s not a problem if the game is voiceless. best adventure games of all time are voiceless.It’s enough if it has nice music and good sound effects. I hope that this game will soon come out.  Smile

Total Posts: 880

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

tsampikos - 06 November 2012 03:51 PM

It’s not a problem if the game is voiceless. best adventure games of all time are voiceless.It’s enough if it has nice music and good sound effects. I hope that this game will soon come out.  Smile

I recall all of my absolutely favorite games have voices. lol Not to mention my favorite modern adventures have okay voice acting and still rank up better than a game that relies on text.

Unless the game is Botanicula, its awkward to not hear voices in gaming anymore. Voices add that much needed aspect to the experience of the game. I can’t stand playing Casual HOG’s that have no voices, unless it offers something more than just an interesting story.

Stuart Bradley Newsom - Naughty Shinobi || Our Game: Shadow Over Isolation

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

tsampikos - 06 November 2012 03:51 PM

It’s not a problem if the game is voiceless. best adventure games of all time are voiceless.It’s enough if it has nice music and good sound effects.

I completely respect that you feel that way, but the way you say it makes it sound like its a rule that applies to everyone Smile. Monkey Island 1&2 were easily my favourite games back in the early nineties, but I’m pretty sure that all my future replays will be the special editions.

I remember the first Talkie adventure I ever played was the CD-rom version of Simon the Sorcerer, sometime in the mid-nineties, and the first impressions remains one of the greatest moments in my (gaming)life. Good voice-acting adds something to a game that no text ever could: real emotion.

In my opinion, a game without voices can feel a bit “dead”, however, with such impressive visuals as The Journey of Iesir is displaying, I’d play it no matter what. Voices or not. The thought of how great the game could have been with a dedicated voice cast could possibly ruin the experience to some degree though.

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

I’d still like to check this game out, even if it doesn’t get to have any voice-over work.
Of course, it’d be a plus if it did feature voices, but I don’t mind a voiceless game. My favourite DS games have very little voice work in them, and some of my favourite PC adventures became my favourites in an unvoiced version (Fate of Atlantis, Simon the Sorcerer, Monkey Island 1+2).
I agree with Dag, though, that when given the choice, I’d now only play the voiced versions of those games. But that still doesn’t mean that I’ll ignore a game just because it doesn’t feature any voice-overs. Heck, my favourite game of the last year was To the Moon, and that didn’t have any voice work done…

The Journey of Iesir is looking great, voices or no voices. Thumbs Up

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 974

Joined 2007-02-23

PM

Amazing graphics - I really hope they’ll apply voices. These days I don’t really bother playing anything without voices anymore.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top