• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Luki Sumilo

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Community Playthrough #28: Gray Matter

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Finished the chapter. Styles finding out about Sam went has expected. The big drama before the finale.
[spoiler]Sams parents died in a car accident, Sam has Styles mother necklace, Styles had a car accident… What is going on here? Sam, I am your brother![/spoiler] Smile
Could the lab word be IMPOSTORS?
Stuff to find out next week, good to know the last will be a big chapter, lots of stuff to uncover.
Puzzle-wise, despite being a short chapter it still managed to annoy me in the lab puzzle - Again with lack of direction and sense - an expert in Neurology needs to print out an anatomy atlas so see what that part of the brain is…

Iznogood - 31 July 2014 10:06 AM
Sefir - 31 July 2014 07:13 AM
TimovieMan - 31 July 2014 03:49 AM

So did we pass the moment where he goes off on the phone against the social worker who gave out confidential information (at his request no less)?

I thought that was a great character-establishing moment for Dr. Styles.

It is in this chapter, so I would probably suggest Spoiler Tags Timo. But I totally agree that it is one of the most rememberable scenes in the game!!

Rememberable because it is not what you expect.
You would expect that Dr. Styles is just thankful for the information, because that is what most protagonists in AG would be, so he kind of breaks the convention for AG here.

Indeed, this was the best part of the chapter probably funniest of the game so far, I was half expecting that he would lash out at the detective after

Total Posts: 5051

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Really wish you wouldn’t post video links that can’t be turned off.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

rtrooney - 31 July 2014 08:18 PM

Really wish you wouldn’t post video links that can’t be turned off.

Done. No problem

Total Posts: 5837

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I’ve finished Chapter 7 & really liked seeing a little bit more from David Style’s point of view i.e. some of the things that Sam had already looked at in Oxford. I found it interesting that in the last chapter Sam is convinced that the events are the work of a magician but in this one Styles still thinks/hopes? that possibly .his dead wife Laura might be behind them. 

wilco - 31 July 2014 07:48 PM

Finished the chapter. Styles finding out about Sam went has expected. The big drama before the finale.
[spoiler]Sams parents died in a car accident, Sam has Styles mother necklace, Styles had a car accident… What is going on here? Sam, I am your brother![/spoiler] Smile

I completely missed that Sam has Styles’ mother’s necklace - could it just be coincidence & one similar?

TimovieMan - 31 July 2014 03:49 AM

So did we pass the moment where he goes off on the phone against the social worker who gave out confidential information (at his request no less)?

It was unprofessional of anyone in any department to give out that kind of confidential info to someone on ‘say-so’ over the phone & Styles’, in his line of work, was quite right to get angry about it (as I did!) but there also seemed to be a hint of protectiveness towards Sam from David on having the info revealed.

I liked this chapter so much in that David was prompted to ‘come out of hiding’ but I was surprised on what he decided to do! 

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I’ve finished Chapter 7 & really liked seeing a little bit more from David Style’s point of view

I have to agree, I’m playing chapter 7 as we speak and it is easily the best David chapter so far. Games like Gray Matter which have multiple playable characters can actually be fun - you get to see the game from another point of view.

So - I’m actually enjoying this chapter and I’m REALLY looking forward to chapter 8 now!

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Finished this chapter and it really is a short one.

chrissie - 01 August 2014 08:55 AM

I completely missed that Sam has Styles’ mother’s necklace - could it just be coincidence & one similar?

I also completely missed that one (though I do seem to remember something about it from my previous playthrough) so I was like WTF when Styles mentions it in the last scene.

The confrontation between Styles and Sam was predictable and had to come sooner or later, though I do fell that Styles should have given Sam a chance to explain herself instead of just jumping to conclusions. Still a nice scene, and the best in this chapter IMO. I’m curious to see if they can make up again, and where the personal relationship between them ends up, which I honestly can’t remember from my first playthrough.   

BTW am I the only one that feels that it is a bit odd that first Styles scolds a women for giving out classified information and then in the very next scene asks a policeman to reveal some classified information to him? Okay, not quite the same thing, but still…

Oh:

Indeed, this was the best part of the chapter probably funniest of the game so far, I was half expecting that he would lash out at the detective after

Apparently I was not the only one thinking that.

Otherwise this chapter is really the beginning of the end. It is now that it is beginning to become clear what is actually going on, whether Sam or Styles is right and who the “culprit” is, though I guess there is still room for a twist at the end.

Could the lab word be IMPOSTORS?

Perhaps, though if that is the case, who does it then refers to, Sam or ...?

I found it interesting that in the last chapter Sam is convinced that the events are the work of a magician but in this one Styles still thinks/hopes? that possibly .his dead wife Laura might be behind them.

I don’t think that is what styles thinks or hopes. He thinks or hopes that there is some kind of supernatural phenomenon going on, and that his dead wife is trying to communicate with him, but he doesn’t for one second believe that his wife could be responsible for the events. Two different things that might or might not turn out to be connected.

What is perhaps not so clear is what Styles thinks here at the end of this chapter.
He still believes in his dead wife, and that there is something supernatural going on with the events, but he also thinks that he knows that Sam is behind some of it and has been manipulating him as part of her great game. So where does he draw the line between what Sam is responsible for and what is real supernatural elements?

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 5837

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Iznogood - 02 August 2014 07:28 AM

I found it interesting that in the last chapter Sam is convinced that the events are the work of a magician but in this one Styles still thinks/hopes? that possibly .his dead wife Laura might be behind them.

I don’t think that is what styles thinks or hopes. He thinks or hopes that there is some kind of supernatural phenomenon going on, and that his dead wife is trying to communicate with him, but he doesn’t for one second believe that his wife could be responsible for the events. Two different things that might or might not turn out to be connected.

Styles does actually say after seeing the devastation in the college dining hall‘could this really be the work of Laura’ or something similar which does indicate that the thought has crossed his mind.

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

I’ve played Chapter 6 and 7 back to back - that alone says the game continues to hold my attention (despite few minor drawbacks, more on that later), and we’re presented in Chapter 6 with one of the best puzzles in recent adventure game history.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

diego - 03 August 2014 07:54 AM

and we’re presented in Chapter 6 with one of the best puzzles in recent adventure game history.

Nope it doesn’t ring a bell, please enlighten be as to what puzzle you are referring.

Don’t get me wrong, I quite like GM but not because it is filled with brilliant puzzles.

chrissie - 02 August 2014 11:04 AM

Styles does actually say after seeing the devastation in the college dining hall‘could this really be the work of Laura’ or something similar which does indicate that the thought has crossed his mind.

Perhaps, I must admit that I didn’t really notice that quote.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Otherwise this chapter is really the beginning of the end. It is now that it is beginning to become clear what is actually going on, whether Sam or Styles is right and who the “culprit” is, though I guess there is still room for a twist at the end.

Yes - chapter 7 is one of the last chapters sadly. It does lead into the next chapter well in my opinion and even makes me eager to play chapter 8.

Now, yes - I’d say there’s room for a twist at the end even—so we’ll see if we get one.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Iznogood - 03 August 2014 08:14 AM

Nope it doesn’t ring a bell, please enlighten be as to what puzzle you are referring.

I realize not everyone necessarily needs to experience that puzzle the same way, but that’s exactly the beauty of it. Smile It’s not the hardest & most “clever” puzzle you would see, but as UPtimist already said, “name of the mage” is clever in that sense that you can deduce that the “mage” is someone like a “main guy”, or “big shot” in the the current scenario, and that’s clearly the guy who wrote the story we’re tackling.. Then again, I realize the puzzle should be a piece of cake to anyone like Lady Kestrel or TimovieMan who are anagram experts. I was lucky (or not? Grin), because I was solving it the “hard” way but probably because of that had the AHA! moment and enjoyed it. What I did is I actually presumed it could be Lewis Carroll right from the start, but misspelled it (had the two “r” but not the two “l” Grin. I disregarded that idea, and only much later I realized it could be an anagram (“name of the game”). I thought it’s “Alice… something”, but then tied the pieces together.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

chrissie - 02 August 2014 11:04 AM
Iznogood - 02 August 2014 07:28 AM

I think Styles changes his mind during the chapter. At the beginning when he arrives at the dining room he still thinks Laura might be behind the college stuff but after finding of Sams “betrayal” he just thinks he is being played and everything at the college is a sham

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

wilco - 03 August 2014 03:14 PM

but after finding of Sams “betrayal” he just thinks he is being played and everything at the college is a sham

I don’t think that is the case Wink
In fact his last words to Sam in this chapter is something like “despite of what you have done, there is still something going on”, or something similar. So exactly what he believes at this point is anything but clear.

diego - 03 August 2014 03:05 PM

I realize not everyone necessarily needs to experience that puzzle the same way, but that’s exactly the beauty of it. Smile It’s not the hardest & most “clever” puzzle you would see, but as UPtimist already said, “name of the mage” is clever in that sense that you can deduce that the “mage” is someone like a “main guy”, or “big shot” in the the current scenario, and that’s clearly the guy who wrote the story we’re tackling.. Then again, I realize the puzzle should be a piece of cake to anyone like Lady Kestrel or TimovieMan who are anagram experts.

Whenever people starts seeing hidden messages in the form of anagrams or similar, I must admit I always get a bit suspicious simply because you can find these kind of things everywhere if you look for them, even in the daily newspaper. I’m not saying UPtimist is wrong, and I haven’t checked it myself (plus I suck at anagrams), but it might just be a coincidence, on the other hand if it isn’t a coincidence then it is indeed cleaver.

I however still prefer the puzzle(s) in the last chapter, some of those are devious and requires exactly that kind of UPtimist thinking Wink

Total Posts: 932

Joined 2004-03-23

PM

It’s not a coincidence, I’ve checked Wink Every line has an anagram somewhwere (usually (or always, can’t remember) in the end) and C Railer Swoll is an anagram of Lewis Carroll

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

UPtimist - 03 August 2014 04:05 PM

It’s not a coincidence, I’ve checked Wink Every line has an anagram somewhwere (usually (or always, can’t remember) in the end) and C Railer Swoll is an anagram of Lewis Carroll

Yeah, I’m sure the way authors intended to solve that puzzle is:

1. The letters in words in every paragraph are rearranged.
2. We should rearrange the last line, too.
3. Name of the Mage becomes Name of the Game.
4. That very same name of the game is an anagram, also.

I’ve probably enjoyed it because I suck at anagrams as well (I can never solve the one in the anagram thread), but I did this one. Grin

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top